Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if anyone was wondering, I got a return email from Magnum Research asking if the MR9 Eagle has been discontinued due to it not being on their site, and they stated unfortunately all variations have been discontinued.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Look on the bright side - there's potential for some place like CDNN to clearance out mags for them, meaning a cheap supply of P99/PPQ M1 mags would be available. (I just checked CDNN's site, and no joy so far, but they definitely used to have SW99c mags for cheap when that gun was discontinued - I remember buying them for use with my P99c.)

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Not surprised, seeing how I bought mine many years after it was announced and the serial number was still in the low 6,000s.

As far as cheap mags go, I got a bunch of them marked Magnum Research for $16 ea., shipped, on gunbroker.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I was interested in purchasing the 4.5" barrel MR9 9mm last year. No luck locating one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does that mean I have a collectible? I have a 4.5" MR9 with serial number MN0021xx. Only thing I've done to mine is swap the stock RSA to a SSGuiderod version. It's a definite keeper for me. I'm thinking about adding a rubberized Talon grip to it, as I do wish the grip texture was a bit more aggressive.
PS: Also swapped the firing pin spring over to a Gen 4 G17 one. I don't need any lectures about lightening the trigger pull or concerns about a light strike. My MR9 is a range use pistol only - I have other home/self defense pistols that are primary.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Two years ago Outpost Armory had NIB 4.5" MR9s for under $350. Some of the "Buyers Clubs" had them ~$320.

Should have grabbed one.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I'm really sorry to see this example of the P99 fade away. I purchased that beautiful 4.5-inch variant back on March 30, 2016, and thought I got a pretty good deal for it at $500 at the time. So glad I snatched one up when I did.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Traded the 4" for a 16ga Browning A5. 🙁
Wish I hadn't. I will get another. Tighter tolerances than Walther with the MR slide/barrel combo. Very Accurate.
Love the 4.5

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping this as my first post here, hopefully I can give some helpful info if anyone needs it.

I'm a long time P99 fan, I had a P99AS that I foolishly traded away for something else. However I decided that I wanted one again. Excellent pistol. In my gun shop travels, I found a S&W SW99 for a deal I couldn't pass up. It's an original SW99 9mm with the AS trigger, not the OL. Anyway, right after I bought the gun I went to shoot it, and the backstrap started to crumble. It actually fell apart like feta cheese. Completely dry rotted. Weird, and I was disappointed.

My next step became finding a replacement backstrap for it, and as many of you may know, S&W hasn't produced the SW99 in years and parts are nearly non existent. As for the MR9, the idea popped into my head that since the frame is a P99/SW99 copy made by Walther, that an MR9 backstrap would fit it. I emailed Magnum Research last week and told them I needed a replacement Medium MR9 backstrap. I got it today and it is a perfect fit for the S&W. The texture is even the exact same. Cost me $8 total.

I see now that the MR9 is no longer in production but Magnum Research apparently still has parts. If you have a P99, SW99, or any other variant and need a backstrap, order up now. They're a lot cheaper than ordering an original Walther part from Earl's, who seems to be the only distributor of genuine Walther parts in the US.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts