Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an interesting ad about a magnet that you can use to hold your gun in places like car, camper, closet, or bedside. It has strong tape to secure to surface and 2 large magnets.

Question: Would strong magnet like this have any detrimental affect on my guns? They are coated to prevent scratching so, there is only the magnetic issue. They look very handy.

Does anyone have experience with guns and magnets?

Thanks,
Regis

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
I believe you'll be just fine. One of our members rigged up his own magnetic bedside/nitestand holder. I think he keeps his PPQ with attached silencer on the magnet.

You get a strong enough magnet and it'll lift your car. :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
My father had a Sig 226 under his office desk with a magnet mount and a Beretta on a bed stand magnetic mount as well. Both worked extremely well. I don't know the brand off the top of my head, but look into it.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I have no personal experience, but on some gun forums, I have seen this topic come up. Some have pointed out that you could end up magnetizing part of the gun. I have used magnets on tools before, and some have ended up magnetized

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
We'll have to get Olsoul to grab his PPQ FE, hold it up to the side of the fridge and see if it sticks. :D He's been sticking his PPQ FE on a magnet for a few years now.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I just put my PPQ FE against the fridge and when I pulled it away the fridge came with it.

Seriously strong magnets will hold your weapon quite well and won't do any long term damage to the weapon...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’m working on this project now. I took a regular steel Sentry Safe, the model with the biometric fingerprint reader, and had a friend fabricate a simple bracket that I affixed to the preexisting holes on the back side of the safe and then hung it on the side of the bed and stabilized with standard 1” gun case foam to protect the bed frame finish.

My gun stays stable when the gas struts kick the door open but I want to be extra sure so I’ll position this magnet to the back of the safe to hold the gun in place.

It’s a simple magnet with about 15 lbs magnetized force that’s predrilled with 4 mounting holes. I’ll cut the padding to fit the dimensions of the magnet. The grip tape supplied isn’t meant for permanent mounting but instead to help stage where you want to permanently mount the magnet and then affix it with wood screws or whatever works for where you’ll place it. I’ll use sheet metal screws, lock washers and nuts with a dab of lock tight for this project.

The magnet is padded with a rubberized exterior to protect the finish of the gun. I’ve done a couple tests and it’s got enough give to protect the finish on my SIG P220 and holds the slide securely. You can pick this up on Amazon for about $20.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Question: Would strong magnet like this have any detrimental affect on my guns? They are coated to prevent scratching so, there is only the magnetic issue. They look very handy.
I have no experience with magnets and pistols, but my concern would be the smaller metal internal parts.

If the magnet is strong enough to hold the pistol, it may be strong enough to say, pull a spring off of its shelf. Magnetizing small parts in the pistol may not be a good thing either, if a small part were to "stick" in one position rather than returning forward, back, up, down, or side to side. I certainly wouldn't want to magnetize a firing pin block.

These are just some concerns without ever having tested this.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Nice idea...a bit more elegant than my velco and wood set up. Have you tested the "grab time" yet?

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
balance I have never had an issue with my QFE and it has been magnet mounted for a few years now.

Granted the QFE is the only weapon I can attest to but it hasn't hurt the functioning in the least.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice idea...a bit more elegant than my velco and wood set up. Have you tested the "grab time" yet?
Thanks OS. I have grown kids in the house that I need to maintain security or I’d like to just hang it on an exposed magnet like you or in a bedside holster.

Re grab time, I just reach down and swipe or tap in a 4 digit code. Since the safe is originally designed for horizontal surface there’s no gravity for the lid to overcome, so it snaps open. At that point my right hand is about 4” from the grip. I’d guess from swipe to control it’s about 2-3 seconds. I’ve never liked the idea of having to hop out of bed to get to a safe.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
balance I have never had an issue with my QFE and it has been magnet mounted for a few years now.

That's good to hear. I wasn't sure if there was any merit to my concerns, but I thought I'd put them out there just in case.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Again I can speak only to the PPQ in 9mm and only to the PPQ FE.

In thinking about the design of the P99/PPQ platform itself, I'm not sure there are any parts that would lend themselves to difficulty if exposed to magnetization long term.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I’m working on this project now. I took a regular steel Sentry Safe, the model with the biometric fingerprint reader, and had a friend fabricate a simple bracket that I affixed to the preexisting holes on the back side of the safe and then hung it on the side of the bed and stabilized with standard 1” gun case foam to protect the bed frame finish.

My gun stays stable when the gas struts kick the door open but I want to be extra sure so I’ll position this magnet to the back of the safe to hold the gun in place.

It’s a simple magnet with about 15 lbs magnetized force that’s predrilled with 4 mounting holes. I’ll cut the padding to fit the dimensions of the magnet. The grip tape supplied isn’t meant for permanent mounting but instead to help stage where you want to permanently mount the magnet and then affix it with wood screws or whatever works for where you’ll place it. I’ll use sheet metal screws, lock washers and nuts with a dab of lock tight for this project.

The magnet is padded with a rubberized exterior to protect the finish of the gun. I’ve done a couple tests and it’s got enough give to protect the finish on my SIG P220 and holds the slide securely. You can pick this up on Amazon for about $20.

I'm currently using two of these safes for firearm security (master BR & guest BR), both are on nightstands, w/cable anchors to wall studs.

Will be mounting both on the beds (w/magnets) soon.

Thanks for this post.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Regis- as has been mentioned before, yes, it's been done. I might add tho, that if this is something that you want for inside a VEHICLE, you may want to rig up a holster system for it.
Cars bump around, and swing around in curves. Magnets tend to let metal slide. If you've got one magnetized to the underside of your dashboard, or inside your door, it could slide off.
Plus, the holster will help to keep dust and stuff out of the pistol as well as help to protect the finish.
There is actually holsters on the market now, that use magnets to secure the holster to the belt, or to aid with pistol retention.
Nice thing is, as long as your pistol doesn't use plastic mags, you can use magnets with those as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts