Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a used Smith & Wesson made PPK/S in 380 ACP. It came with two Walther made magazines, one with the finger rest and one without. I took it out to the range a couple weeks ago and fired it for the first time. The magazine with the finger rest functioned perfectly and I fired over 40 rounds with it. When I tried to use the magazine without the finger rest it will not stay in the weapon. I’m not talking about the known issue where the magazine drops out after firing a shot or two or even falls out if you pull on it. This magazine will not latch in at all. I push it in and it comes right back out in my hand. I should note here that if it is empty it goes in fine. Put a round in it and it is a no-go. I wanted a second magazine with the finger rest and found a new original Walther produced magazine on line. It arrived today and when I tested it the same thing happens that occurs with the malfunctioning magazine that came with the weapon. I have checked the D shaped hole for the magazine release. It is clean and the release is flush with the side of the frame when the button is not pushed. I looked at each of the magazines in the weapon and I don’t see any point where the finger rest or the plain floor plate is making contact with the base of the weapon or the hand grips which would prevent the magazine from locking in. I have stood the magazines up next to each other (and laid the odd one on top of the ones with the finger rest) and I can see no difference. I’m baffled at this point. Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Magazine problems

Try this. Remove the slide so you can see into the magazine well. Take the problem mag and disassemble it and replace the bottom without the spring or follower. Does it lock up? Now reassemble try again pushing down the followers down to see if it still locks up. If you have a snaps cap see if this causes a problem when inserted.

If this test causes the mag to drop you have to decide if it is the mag or locking pin. Is the follower arm limiting the lockup? Do you hear the mag click in to the lock? Is the ammo you are using FMJ? Now to the locking pin. Since one mag works is sounds like it is free moving and the spring is okay. But, make sure the mag release button is moving freely.

If all fails to reveal the problem, call Ft. Smith explain the problem and see what they say. Best of luck.

Duncan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts