Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before I get yelled at I wanna say that I did search for this and didnt find any results.

Now then.

Should I store magazines loaded or will it wear out the springs?
There doesn't seem to be any real true answer to this.

My question is - is it possible to buy ONLY the SPRING if a mag wears out without buying the rest of the mag?????

Cause that would kind of be the best of both worlds, right??/

My Walthers have really nice, Italian made magazines. Sure would be nice if I could pick up a few extra springs to have on hand (At a reasonable price of a couple bucks each)
or am I dreaming about something that will never happen?

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Cycling a mag is what will shorten the life of your mag spring. Leaving your mags loaded won't hurt a thing as far as metal fatigue goes.....
as far as replacement springs....I have yet to need to replace mags on my Walther Poly Pistols but oldfart might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: applejackson

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I prefer to leave magazines in a relaxed state, but I really can't assign a scientific reason for it. Being compressed doesn't seem to affect the ones I leave loaded, but who knows? I have never "worn out" a magazine spring, but then I never load them to full capacity either.

Why?

Because I believe that "rated" magazine capacity is set by the Advertising Department not the engineers, and when you overstress a spring, it will fail prematurely. That also is not a scientific judgment, just a visceral opinion.

M

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'll choose not to get in the middle of the loaded question...

However I do have some spare springs on hand for when needed. Why?
1-Never know when something will become hard to find.
2-I have had springs fail, usually pretty new rather than well used. Occasionally with hard use, springs will start to feel 'too soft', and a spring is a cheap repair. That said, I can't claim many actual feed failures from a worn spring.

FWIW

Reactions: applejackson

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Strictly your call. Pistols that have been found in sock drawers with loaded magazines that are 50+ years into storage seem to work reliably and without a hitch. But if you want to try an experiment, tuck one away for 50+ years and then let us know how it performs when you finally decide to pull it out.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I had a 92S Italian Beretta mag loaded for over 30 years. The mag sat in a drawer from 1980 loaded. I fired the rounds from the mag just before I sold the weapon. It worked fine.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Cycling in a perfect vacuum is the only source of wear to worry about in that perfect vacuum. In said vacuum, leave the mags loaded or relaxed -- your choice -- it'll make no difference.

However, the world we live in is NOT a perfect vacuum; annoyances like moisture can and do cause corrosion which, in turn, has a negative impact on magazines and their constituent parts. For this reason I cycle my EDC mags (of which I have 8) once per month, and I have a rotation of them. I feel this balances the need to care for the mags (inside and out) while minimizing cycling.

I suggest you pick the approach that works best for you -- because even with once/daily cycling I'm willing to lay money on my body failing me (i.e. my own death occurring) before one of my Walther magazines fails due to overcycling.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Actually, the greater risk of damage is not to the spring, but to the magazine lips. You guys who struggle to load the 16th round (because sometimes it can be squeezed in) are the potential victims.

M

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Probably a different beast, but I kept a Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine fully loaded for a year or two once. The spring was definitely weak and sluggish when I unload the magazine. A couple of weeks later it loaded and unloaded like new. FWIIW, I don't keep magazines loaded other than my car PPK/S, and I rotate through it's magazines about once a month. I fully load a magazine, chamber a round, decock, and thus have the magazine one short of fully loaded.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your replys. I did speak to Walther and they do sell the springs by themselves so I am ordering a few just to have on hand.

Anyway - thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if anyone cares or not but Walther does sell replacement mag springs for about $8/each

the part numbers for PPQ M2 9mm & PPS 9MM are as follows:

PPQ M2 9mm: 2695111
PPS 9mm: 2687925

Reactions: MillerMpls

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Not if you use a Uplula loader.
That's even worse, because it's so easy you can't even tell when you are over-stressing it.

Once bent beyond its elastic limit, a spring is never quite the same. With double-column magazine springs, the most common evidence is that the spring won't lie flat on the benchtop; it has developed a spiral torque.

M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts