Walther Forums banner

Magazine Release Method - Thumb or finger?

• Shooting hand thumb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shooting hand index finger

• Shooting hand middle finger

• Non-shooting hand

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading another post got me to thinking about how I typically release a magazine from my P99.

With most handguns, the shooting hand thumb is used to release the magazine (for right handed folks like myself anyway.) I've found that due to the odd location of the release, it's easier for me to use my middle finger on my shooting hand.

Just me, or does anyone else have another method?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to get mine out to see. I have not handled it much yet so im not sure what I was doing at the range the other day. What felt the most comfortable for me was to use my shooting hand index finger. Using my thumb felt akward and can leave the firearm pointing in a less than safe direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use both my thumb (left side of release) and index finger (right side of release) while tilting the gun slightly towards me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Trigger finger every time. It's pretty easy to depress a 1911 release with the thumb but it's much more difficult to push 'our' lever down with that same thumb. At least it is to me
It's also a good way to ensure your finger is not on the trigger when you may be pointing the gun in less than ideal directions. Shouldn't be necessary but if accidents never happened, well....

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Jan. 06 2005,2:04)]Trigger finger every time. It's pretty easy to depress a 1911 release with the thumb but it's much more difficult to push 'our' lever down with that same thumb. At least it is to me
It's also a good way to ensure your finger is not on the trigger when you may be pointing the gun in less than ideal directions. Shouldn't be necessary but if accidents never happened, well....
both index fing. and thumb on shooting hand (at same time)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont know how you guys drop the mag like that. Most tactical shooting I have seen use thumbs only. On that note I use my index finger for the SLIDE Release.

I wonder if anyone had a brain fart and got confused.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shooting hand middle finger, i can leave my gun pointed at my target, finger on the guard and grab a new clip, smap it in and release the slide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too use both the thumb and index finger of my shooting hand. Gives me a good strong and controled release with no hangups.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too use both the thumb and index finger of my shooting hand. Gives me a good strong and controled release with no hangups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts