Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Long time no post. I tried searching on the forum first and I saw a couple of threads about this already but I still have a question.

First off, the mags in question are 9mm Walther factory mags made by Mecgar. All of them are 15 rounders, and all of them feed properly.

Anyway, I bought my P99 a couple of years ago and I love it. The first few times at the range I didn't notice any rattle coming from the magazines at all. Then while I was loading one up, I heard it just as described in previous threads, (put a few rounds in and no rattle, then it seems to rattle every other round, then it stops for a few more, then it is back, etc....)

Only one of the mags that came with my gun did this. The other does not rattle at all. I figured I wouldn't be carrying for a while since I have to take the concealed carry course first, so it didn't bother me at the time.

Making the story longer....lol. I saw that Midway had 15 round mags on sale so I bought one thinking it would be a non-rattler. Well, it rattles too in the same way as the other rattler.

Nothing I do makes the rattle go away. I slap the heck out of the magazines after I load them up and they still rattle.
Does anyone have any idea why they rattle or how to stop them from rattling?
If not, I guess I will just have to carry the gun with 15 in the mag +1 in the chamber whenever I do get my CCW, (yes, I still haven't gotten around to taking the course yet) which is no big deal really. Just a bit of an irritation is all. Of course I could also just use the non-rattling mag too, I guess. ;)

So the question is, why the rattle? And, is there another way to stop it besides slapping them, since slapping doesn't seem to work for me?

Thanks,
MLB78

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Sometimes, some of my Walther mags rattle. They tend to do this after U load 12 or more rounds. It seems that SOMETIMES the mags rattle. My mags that rattle do not rattle EVERY time they are loaded. The mags still work 100%.

The S&W mags do not rattle, curiously enough..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The S&W mags don't rattle? That is curious.
I will also say that all of the .40 cal. mags that I have also do not rattle. They are also Walther factory mags and they are all 12 rounders.

I wonder why the 9mm mags rattle while the .40s do not?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
9mm Parabellum cartridge cases are not perfectly parallel-sided, but slightly tapered. As the cartridge stack gets higher, some gaps develop in a straight-line magazine. Thus the cartridges tilt slightly and, depending on the length and shape of the bullet with which they are loaded, may hang up in the mag body, which is what causes the rattling. It's a little unsettling (and obviously it's not ideal), but as long as it does not affect functioning I wouldn't worry greatly about it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thus the cartridges tilt slightly and, depending on the length and shape of the bullet with which they are loaded, may hang up in the mag body, which is what causes the rattling. It's a little unsettling (and obviously it's not ideal), but as long as it does not affect functioning I wouldn't worry greatly about it.
I have noticed this with my reloads. The FMJ rattle more than the JHP...but both function flawlessly. Now for a stealth operation the rattle would be some disconcerting but for what I want, the rattle would be the least of some bad guys worries....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
Like I said, I could just carry 15+1 so the rattle isn't a big deal. Its just a bit of an annoyance is all.

Of course, I could just carry my .40 cal instead, too. :)

Thanks for the info MGMike! I never really noticed that about the 9mm cartridge.

Still, its a curious thing about the S&W mags not rattling though........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Walther rattle and roll

Well, the first time I've heard bullets dancing inside a magazine, it was on my Taurus millenium 9mm. A friends had another and it was the same.
now my mecgar mags for the P 99 sometimes rattle, usually when they are not full.

I really appreciate the explanation given by MGmike.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone else comment on the SW mags not having the rattle?

I bought my P99 with 2 10rd mags (which do not have the rattle at any # load). I later purchased 2 Walter mags from Earl's, and they both rattle at 15,14,13,12.

I KNOW it doesn't affect functionality, because I've shot the heck out of this gun and it has never malfunctioned even when I've urged it to do so.

I really love the P99. When I bought a gun, I researched all of them, shot a bunch, of 'em and decided that the P99 would be the one gun I would buy.

However, the mag rattle really bothers me. To the point where I'm not happy with the gun itself. That sounds irrational, but I'm detail oriented :)

I would just buy a few SW mags, but I've got to think that the SW mags are the same design, and it would just be random chance as to the Walther mags rattling but SW not. Or they would start rattling after some time.

Any other data would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rattle? Don't tell this to a SiG owner.

Neither my Berettas or Walther P99c magazines rattle. But half the factory magazines for my P228 rattle like an old Ford--or Chevy, depending on what part of the country you live in :p . I found out on SiG Forum that this is more common than one might think. You can either try banging the rear of the mag or tapping the bottom of the mag against the palm of your hand. This will sometimes cause the rounds to reseat and eliminate the rattling. More often than not, this won't help. I feel your pain, but at least the rattle doesn't affect the smooth function of the mags. I presume that this is also the case with Walther. That said, if I were carrying an M11/P228 into cmbat, I'd hand pick the mags I would be taking.

ciadst

1 - 10 of 10 Posts