Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to hear everyones input on how and where you mark your mags. I've seen just about every color, location, marking scribe, etc out there. Let's see some pics! :p

·
Super Moderator
14,389 Posts
Ok, here's what I do. I use 'green' dots on all my 40 calibers and 'orange' dots on the 9's. Then I overlay a clear plastic stick on number/letter over the dot. The colors are a quick visual confirmation as to caliber and the numbering system keeps track of each mag. Was going to used the decimal....got to 9 and thought I really didn't want to use a numbering system requiring more than 'one' number/letter, so I went with the hexadecimal system....got to 'F' and realized that wasn't going to work so I just continued with the alphabet....that should give me big enough number pool. The placement of the numbers on the mags is of course critical and may not work on other pistols, but the mag well in the PPQ has a pair of raised runners on the inside (all four sides). The dots on the mags are placed to fit in between the runners (so they NEVER touch the sides of the mag well). If addition, I placed a coorsponding colored dot in between the raised rails, again as a visual aid to make sure I'm stick a 40 mag (green) dot into a 40 pistol (again, an green dot).....9's are the orange dots.

Works for me.....

View attachment 10188

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I haven't found a good way to mark them that works for me. Leaning towards using a gold sharpie on the narrow side of the mag the faces the back of the weapon. Just using Roman numerals and my last name or initials. Do you think that would be an issue?

·
Registered
271 Posts
For my larger mags (Glock/PPQ) I mark on the back with a paint pen. Gun type followed by mag number.

Q-1; Q-2; etc for my PPQ.

19-1; 19-2; etc for my Glock 19

For smaller mags, like the PPS, I do similar markings, but on the drivers side of the mag. (Not enough room for how I like to mark them on the rear).

·
Super Moderator
14,389 Posts
Nice! I haven't found a good way to mark them that works for me. Leaning towards using a gold sharpie on the narrow side of the mag the faces the back of the weapon. Just using Roman numerals and my last name or initials. Do you think that would be an issue?
I don't think that would be an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that would be an issue.
Just realized this got moved, and to a much more appropriate place I might add. Thanks to the person who moved this. I'm still getting used to the forum, lol.

I marked my PPS mags finally, and I like the way they came out. I'll update if I have any sort of problems with this method, but I don't think I will. magmark.jpg

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
There's no right or wrong way to mark a magazine, so long as the markings don't interfere with the operation of the firearm. Whatever works best for you is the right way to do it. Me? I use colored stickers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, after some good range time, the gold colored sharpie is starting to wear off the mags. I might just leave them blank for the time being until I get another firearm that could potentially cause confusion.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ummmm...sorry...but I have NO CLUE about what you guys are talking about. If I find a mag that doesn't work, it gets tossed in the garbage pail at the range. WHY are you marking these mags? Are you firing blanks in them or what??????? :confused::confused::confused:
Remind me to come behind you at the range!

Marking them is helpful in finding the issue if there is a malfunction. Not all failures are caused by the magazine

Could be ammo related. Could be a grip problem. Could be a problem with the firearm.

Marking the mags offers more insight as to when and why a failure may be occurring.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Remind me to come behind you at the range!

Marking them is helpful in finding the issue if there is a malfunction. Not all failures are caused by the magazine

Could be ammo related. Could be a grip problem. Could be a problem with the firearm.

Marking the mags offers more insight as to when and why a failure may be occurring.
Remind me to never have you as backup in a firefight. I don't want ANYONE farting around with possibly bad magazines that I am depending on to shoot when it's time to shoot. :rolleyes:

Grip problem? Again...no idea what you are talking about. Wait...are you talking about that limp wrist myth? Oh geez...I thought we had laid that to rest by now.:rolleyes:
The ONLY gun that can consistently be shown to have a "limp wrist" problem is the Glock. I can limp wrist EVERY gun in my inventory (and it's a pretty big inventory) and never have a failure with them...EXCEPT the Glock.
If you are having failures and are blaming limp wristing, better trade that sucker in on a 1911. It is totally immune to that limp wrist BS.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow. You're a gumpy old goat.

Actually not talking about limp wristing, but if you're having problems with limpness, there are a variety of medications available today to correct that.

I was actually referring to problems such as failure of the slide to lock back on an empty mag use to accidental manipulation of the slide lock. Fairly common on smaller auto loading pistols, especially for those with larger hands.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
chill out, grumpy.

some of us mark our mags because we have more than one caliber of the same platform.

Any semi auto can be limp wristed. don't codescend..its very unbecoming of you.
I've also a p99 mag that doesn't feed too well. I have it marked so I dont use it defensively.

No need to be rude...we're all here because we like Walther guns. ..

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
chill out, grumpy.

some of us mark our mags because we have more than one caliber of the same platform.

Any semi auto can be limp wristed.
Oh well, I just use plastic Ziplocks to keep mags of different calibers seperated. :)

And no, not ANY semi-auto can be limp-wristed. That is an internet myth. None other than Jeff Cooper gave a demonstration on firing a 1911A1 with just his thumb and index finger holding the 1911. It performed flawlessly. Also, YouTube has these videos for your edification:

But yes, I am a grumpy old fart. And sometimes I am clueless about these new-fangled methods for keeping mags seperated. I also haven't found a left-handed pliers. But I'm sure one of you has it in his toolbox.:rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts