Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a brand new creed/ppx magazine for a ppx. To my surprise, I didn't care for how the magazine engaged within the mag well. If you drive it in, it'll catch but if you slide it in, casually, it's 50/50. Which to me, just indicates there is potential for failure, in a scenario that's less than ideal. I expect it to behave in a way that feels right 100%. I contacted walther, said send it in. Two weeks later, I get what I expect is a box with a new magazine, instead, I get the one I sent in, with a note stating it was bench tested, passed. Range tested, passed. No problems found.
I've switched internals/base between magazines and the problem remains.
Thanks

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Have you tried putting the PPX base plate on the CREED magazine?

What limits the upward insertion of the magazine is the base plate.

So, does the hole in the magazine need to be raised an rch or does the top of the base plate need to be shaved an rch? THAT is the question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Within minutes of trying the magazine, being annoyed, I was swapping parts with the original ppx magazine.
I marked the ppx individual parts first, as to not get things confused.
Regardless of the combination of parts, the creed mag body performed poorly.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
OK....welllllll....I've modified boo-koos of magazines....drilled and filed lots of holes. If you think this CREED mag is going to drive you nuts, go ahead and file a little off the top of the latch hole. Take a few swipes with the file, then reassemble the mag and stick er' in the magwell. Keep doing this until it clicks in the way you expect it too. Will probably require removing an amount about the thickness of a piece of notebook paper to make it work. We're talkin' just an rch.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Walther rep I been contacting, watched the video, said he would forward to the gunsmith.
I put a caliper on them both, nothing unusual. But I stumbled onto something, With the creed magazine apart, gun slide removed, So I could look inside the mag, see what was happening as it slide into place, picked up the creed mag body, put the creed base plate back on it, WITHOUT spring and follower. It clicked into position every time perfectly. Put the slide back on. The creed mag with base plate only, continued to behave in a normal way, perfectly.
Reinstalled the follower and spring, back to poor engagement.
Proceeded to swap springs only. Poor engagement.
Next, swapped follower only, poor engagement.
The ppx mag body worked regardless, of what parts or configuration of were installed, it worked perfectly every time.
So the creed mag will work perfectly, as long as I remove the spring and follower.

After a while, it occurs to me that the reason the creed mag, with base plate only, was working, was because it was free floating, and finding it's way. But when I put the spring and spring plate in, it wasn't allowing the same movement.
Also noticed the two tabs on the bottom of the mag, in which the mag base slides on, were significantly different, as to how it positioned the base plate, front to back. See attached photo. This is likely the culprit or part of, as it was the only major variation between the two.
Instead of screwing with the metal, I tweaked the plastic lip, formed when the base plate is installed, couple attempts, success.
It now functions like the original. But to say the magazines are identical, wouldn't be accurate, similar but not identical, enough to annoy me anyway. Think I'll purchase an old stock ppx mag, see how it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the off chance someone reads all this gibberish, I should let it be known I contacted the Walther representative again, and after showing my video and photos, explaining what I've done, they seemed eager to resolve issues, and I'm comfortable with the option chosen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In order to make the creed mag work, in my ppx, I had to make strategic modifications, some of which weren't so strategic, leaving the base plate functional but not ideal (ugly).

After contacting the walther rep, he was willing to send out a new ppx base plate, no charge.

I've switched the original ppx and creed base plates numerous times, and the creed mag/body never worked right, when fully assembled. So I anticipated having to modify the new ppx base plate but at this point knew what was needed to truly be strategic.

To my surprise, I put the new ppx base plate on the creed body, figured I'd try it. Worked as it should first attempt. After multiple attempts, it worked fine.

So I didn't have to modify anything, it's good to go.

It seems to take persistence but walther has thus far been willing to make things right.

I've had issue with a loose feed ramp and an issue with the hammer, both instances they sent new parts out asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.