Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my 40 S&W PPQ to a 9mm using the Jarvis barrel. Currently I have 8 magazines in 40 that I would like to covert with a 9mm spring/follower. I'm trying to convert the magazines to avoid the cost of new M1 style magazines. Anyone know if I will need new springs? Anyone know of a way to get the followers? Also willing to buy from forum members on the off chance someone has spares. Thanks for your help

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Won't the lips be too wide ? If I load 9mm into a .40 S&W P226 magazine the cartridges just pop right out. Seems like more trouble than its worth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Won't the lips be too wide ? If I load 9mm into a .40 S&W P226 magazine the cartridges just pop right out. Seems like more trouble than its worth.
I pulled the internals from a P99 magazine (9mm) and swapped them into the PPQ magazine body. Loaded to full capacity with nor perceived issues. Couldn't test fire since I don't have the conversion barrel yet

Super Moderator
Magazines, any magazine, are as much art as science. You are courting trouble here I fear.
You're likely better served sending the conversion barrel back, swapping the gun on what you want, and eating the damage now rather than later on the magazines, if they prove troublesome.
And do it now while there is no stampede for high-caps.
Moon

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Magazines, any magazine, are as much art as science. You are courting trouble here I fear.
You're likely better served sending the conversion barrel back, swapping the gun on what you want, and eating the damage now rather than later on the magazines, if they prove troublesome.
And do it now while there is no stampede for high-caps.
Moon
Unfortunately the only way to get what I'm after is the conversion barrel route. Getting a long slide or threaded barrel variant of the PPQ M1 is almost impossible. Gunbuyer.com has their variant but with the huge price jump I would rather go this route. The frame on the 40 vs 9mm PPQ is the same so no worries there. Worse comes to worse I suck it up and buy some P99 magazines at $23 each. Would just prefer to convert a few 40 mags to minimize the mess in my very disorganized safe

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So suck it up and buy some proper magazines.

Where did you get the notion that the bodies of 9mm and .40 magazines are the same?

M
Being a mechanical engineer it was something I suspected. I used high precision calipers to inspect my stock and they are all fairly close. I stuck a 9mm follower and spring into a 40 body and loaded it up. Manually cycled the gun several times to empty out the mag 4 times with no issue. That being said, no live fire testing was done. This is a theoretical idea I am trying to prove/disprove to myself.

If the 40 caliber wasn't so hated right now I would just sell the gun but where I live I wouldn't get much and it would be cheaper to do a 9mm conversion on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
SK, I think you'd be better off reorganizing your disorganized safe and watching the 'Trading Post / Parts Bin' thread for some M1 9mm mags. I've seen these M1 9mm mags offered for as little as $25.....THAT would be the way I'd go. Don't get in a rush...just sit back and watch the thread. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/trading-post-parts-bin/
Thanks! Wasn't aware that this thread existed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts