Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is covered in other forums. I looked through as much as I could and saw a brief mention that this had been reported, but then nothing else.

The mag can drop on it's own several times during firing of 1 mag worth of ammo. It happens with different brands of ammo, different weights, different types of projectiles. I have made sure that nothing is touching or near the magazine release. I have contacted Walther through their online customer service submission and I'll wait for their response.

Other than this, I haven't had any problems with it.

Anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions or solutions?

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it happens with all of your magazines, then the magazine release (part A1 on the diagram) might need to be replaced or adjusted by Walther. If it happens with just one magazine then you probably can get an exchange for that magazine.

If you want to get another data point while waiting on Walther you could switch the magazine release from the default right hand setup to the left hand setup and shoot it again. Section 10.2 "Reversible magazine release" in the manual has instructions if you are interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hadn't thought about switching the mag release. i have 4 mags for it and it happens with all of them. thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
Try firing with one hand or allowing someone else to fire your handgun. If they are experiencing the same malfunction, then you have ruled out that your hand placement might be the cause. Otherwise you may need to investigate if your grip is causing the malfunction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try switching to a larger backstrap. That resolved the issue for me. The mag release button is large enough, and the spring is weak enough that the slightest pressure from the thumb of your shooting hand against even the top edge of the button will cause the magazine to drop. As I said, using the larger backstrap solved the issue for me, but I bought the pistol for the way it felt in my hand with the medium backstrap. Traded in the M2 for a Classic Q. Problem solved.
Don't let anyone tell you it's your fault, because you're grip is "wrong". I've been shooting for 38 years, using a textbook thumbs-forward grip. Never had this issue with any other pistol. It is a design flaw, plain and simple. Still, the Q is such a fantastic pistol in every other respect, I couldn't be without one. Now I only wish the new .45 had a Classic variant as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dropped the mag a couple times accidentally on my PPQ before I realized it was because it has a hair trigger release and the damn thing sits right where my thumb likes to be. I have to concentrate on changing my grip just for that gun. Never been a problem with anything else I’ve shot. Count me as a vote for the paddle release. Problem solved. I am looking to exchange my PPQ M2 for an M1 at some point. So far for me, it hasn’t been a problem with my CCP, but I can see how it could be.

·
Registered
756 Posts
He said he made sure nothing's touching the mag release.

He doesn't know what is touching under recoil. The stresses on the hand, the compression of the flesh, and the torquing of the hand are not visible under fire at speed! I will tell you my golf swing is perfect, my score says otherwise! Humans see when they can't, hear when they can't, and talk when they shouldn't! I am best at the latter!

·
Registered
229 Posts
A friend tried to get me into golfing once. Went to a driving range with him. I sucked so bad I never went again. Keeping my thumb off the mag release is a cakewalk by comparison. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can't say, or not, that you're hitting the magazine release.

This very problem happened to me on our P99 and it turned out to be a defective gun. I documented my problem with video and put it on here for feedback from other members (Look under the P99 section).

When the problem wouldn't go away, I shared the video with Walther. My gun had been returned to them twice before, and this time they actually replaced it.

My advice is to document your problem on video and let the members give you some feedback.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm having this issue. What did Walther do for you?
Mine started dropping mags after about 700 rounds thru the gun. I was pretty darn sure it wasn't me causing it. Sent it to Walther at the first of the year - I still don't have it back yet. They said they'll get the part(s) they need 2nd week of March, so, hopefully I'll get it back the 3rd week. A little frustrating for a new gun ( serial# 62xxx) to have this problem. :-/

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine started dropping mags after about 700 rounds thru the gun.......A little frustrating for a new gun ( serial# 62xxx) to have this problem. :-/
This is disappointing news. Mine was doing this early on but after about 450 rounds it stopped. I was assuming the mag drop was part of the CCP's extended break-in period. Now it could pop up again at any time? I currently have 820 rounds through mine, serial number 34xxx.

If the mag drops out after one shot is fired, you essentially have a single-shot pistol, right? Not good. Every time a new one of these issues pops up I'm forced to edge a little closer to swapping the CCP in on something that works as a defense pistol should. That's a shame, because there's a lot to like about the CCP but if it isn't reliable, what's the point?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the mag drops out after one shot is fired, you essentially have a single-shot pistol, right? Not good.
Nope, not good. Though mine seemed to drop around the 3rd or 4th round. Almost as bad.

Every time a new one of these issues pops up I'm forced to edge a little closer to swapping the CCP in on something that works as a defense pistol should. That's a shame, because there's a lot to like about the CCP but if it isn't reliable, what's the point?
Yep. I think I've already gotten to that point - I bought a PPS M2 two weeks after sending the CCP in to Walther. There will always be that little question mark hanging over the CCP ... will it work 100% when it needs to? I don't think I want to find out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I apologize if this is covered in other forums. I looked through as much as I could and saw a brief mention that this had been reported, but then nothing else.

The mag can drop on it's own several times during firing of 1 mag worth of ammo. It happens with different brands of ammo, different weights, different types of projectiles. I have made sure that nothing is touching or near the magazine release. I have contacted Walther through their online customer service submission and I'll wait for their response.

Other than this, I haven't had any problems with it.

Anyone having similar issues? Any suggestions or solutions?
Interesting, when I had this issue right out of the box, Walther (and others in this forum) swore it had to be my fault, and that I had no idea how to grip a weapon. Yes, Walther told me that over the phone.

Good luck with their customer service... I had no luck with them. It seemed to get a bit better over time, but I just couldn't trust the gun. And, after my less than stellar experience with their CS, I just decided to sell it.

Moved on to other brands (CZ, S&W, Bersa) and have had zero issues.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts