Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I bought a walther p99 .40cal a little over a week ago, have about 125 rounds through the gun and one magazine.  Went to the range the other day and was loading ammo into the mag, and the mag felt like the bottum was moving, upon closer inspection the magazine floor plate was cracked, and shortly after unloading the mag by hand broke.  

My walther (and i assume the mags) were manufactured in 2003, the envelope that the bullet casing came in has a date of 4/23/03. I've read other post here that state that this was just a bad batch of mag floorplates. However this floorplate problem is fairly disturbing with so few rounds going through it. Other than that though I love the gun.

My question is how many people on here have experienced this?   and If you have received new floorplates did those break aswell?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't let the broken floorplates rattle you, this appears to be a fairly common problem. I had a floorplate come apart on me (see the post under "Bug or Feature") and Walther shipped me three new ones without question.
Happy shooting!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The problem seems to be with the .40 floorplates only, I've never seen or heard of a 9mm floor plate breaking.
I have 20k+ rounds thru 7 different 9mm magazines, and they all are still 100% functional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dgallegos, have you been able to test out the new floorplates that walther has sent to you? If so is there a diffrence on construction? or have you tried to make on break yet? If i Remeber right you were trying to do the "combat reload" and one broke, do the new floorplates break under the same conditions?

--whoops reread the thread and you already mentioned that the new floorplates dont break.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is new to me. I've got or had up to 20 .40 cal. magazines and never had a problem with them. All my magazines are older than 2003, so maybe they changed something this year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't know...
The Walther rep I spoke to said that it was apparently a "bad batch" or whatever that means. But so far, (fingers crossed), my factory 10 round mags are holding up fine. For abuse at the range, I still use my 3 ProMags so if I screw up a mag by dropping it on concrete, rock ect, I'm only out a few bucks.
I am still (!) waiting for my LEO mags. From the posted pictures the floorplate is constructed differently to hold the 2 extra rounds. In fact, they look similar to the ProMags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 99 .40 cal and both magazine base plates broke at the same time: aftet just 40 rounds each. Walther customer service claimed they were not aware of any problem which I didn't believe because both broke at exactly the same spot. They said they would send 2 new ones which they didin't until I called them back and they said they had to receive the defective ones first.

I ordered 2 additional magazines from Walther to use while I waited for the warranty ones to be returned to me. The first one "appears" to be ok (50 rounds and still holding up). However the second one broke in exactly the same place after ONLY 3 rounds!!

Walther obviously has a manufactering problem and they are not handling this responsably. They need to recall these units and keep better track of production runs so they can pull defective merchandise. These defects could cost the life of a citizen or law enforcement officer depending on this product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was purchased new in Dec 2003. So I assume it was manufactured in 2003. In talking with customer service today (1/5) they are now acknowledging that they have a problem with the butt plates of some of their clips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had this problem back in August. Both of them broke within a week of each other. My new one is holding up well though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This seems to be a "Stinking 10 rounder" problem only.

I've never heard of this problem occurring with a floor plate which was originally designed for the hicap mags.

Just send Clinton a thank-you note in appreciation for your problem. Or get yourself some hicaps!

I prefer to be right not PC. . . If you need hicaps e-mail me.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was under the impression that highcaps for my 40cal walther p99, would be LE only. Since i'm not LE, wouldnt that be *cough* illegal *cough*. Unless you know something that I dont.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally, if you own a .40, I'd stay away from the 1st generation mags (black or orange followers), especially if you have the premature slide lock-back problem.
I still get this problem on occasion, but not once with my new 2nd generation mags (blue & light blue followers).
To each their own...

·
Registered
36 Posts
One of the three mags that came with the P99 40 I just got has a broken base plate. Since Walther is a German company, is there a US contact for getting a new one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Contact Walther and tell them about your problem. It appears to be common and they will replace your mag plates free of charge.

Walther USA
2100 Roosevelt Ave
Springfield, MA 01104

1-800-372-6454
fax 1-413-781-3317

·
Registered
36 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martini13 @ Jan. 19 2004,12:33)]By the way, how did you get three mags?  I thought the all came with two.
I bought (traded) for a pre-owned model.  It came with an extra mag, among other things.

Thanks for the contact information. I called them and they are sending a couple to me.

Oh, one more thing.  One or two of the mags have the orange follower.  The guy I bought it from said the mags were the "corrected ones" so they do not cause the slide to lock back when the clip is not empty.  Does that sound right?  I have not fired it yet, so I have not been able to test them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts