Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll I just got back from teh shooting range and I was encountering a problem every once and a while. THe magazine of my .40 walther would drop out about 1/2 inch and I would have to jam it back in. Does anyone know what could be the problem.

·
Registered
536 Posts
All your mags do this, or just one?

If just one, compare the cut-out and see if it looks like it's been damaged or worn, compared to other mags. If they all do it, your mag release needs some work - you might have a worn part or a weak spring.

thorn

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if it was happening with just one magazine or both. I hope it isnt a problem wiht the gun itself, It barely has 200 rounds through it.
non a side note, When shooting large amounts of ammo should I let the gun cool down a bit when it gets hot

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All your mags do this, or just one?

If just one, compare the cut-out and see if it looks like it's been damaged or worn, compared to other mags. If they all do it, your mag release needs some work - you might have a worn part or a weak spring.

thorn
So if the two magazines look ok and they both drop then it maybe be something wrong with teh magazine release assembly then?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you sure you're not activating the magazine release lever with one of your fingers under recoil.

I've never had it happen to me, but I've heard of it happening to others.

Double check your grip, and make sure none of your fingers are near the magazine release levers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2005 40cal AS with the long mag release levers and have the same problem. I just barely touch the lever and it will drop the mag. I don't know if it is taking less movement to release or if it's just my imagination. It only takes about 1/16" or so of movement to drop the mag. The pressure required to depress the lever is very small compared to the older ones with the short release levers. It dumped on me during a class and it has done it during trips to the range. It seems to take very a very small bump to drop now. It never falls all the way out, just far enough to not fire. I bought it new and now have about 1500 rounds through it. Never a missfire. I have 4 mags for it (all new Walther) and it makes no difference which one. Suggestions are welcome! I want to carry but I'm not comfortable with the problem I have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe we both need to tighten the magazine release. IS there a way to do that, Maybe we are just bumping the relase lever when the recoil occurs

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to stop by Sportsman's warehouse and take a look at a new one to see if mine has loosened up. I don't remember it being that sensitive when it was new. I took the Walther to my office today, but didn't get a chance to take it apart to see if something might have gotten bent in the mag release mechanism. I'd get a lot more done if it wasn't for customers!:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought mine at SPortsmans warehouse also. DO they do warranty repairs there? I would assume I the gun I have is under some kind of warranty

·
Registered
69 Posts
I looked at the mag release assembly under a magnifying lamp at work Friday, and I couldn't see anything wrong. The tension on the levers seems to be the same on a new one. It just dosen't seem to take much movement to dump the mag. I wish the levers were shorter like on the older model.

As far as the warrantee, I suspect you'll have to go to S&W for repair. That is, if anything is wrong.

Guess I'll just have to keep my grubby little fingers away from the trigger guard and the release levers.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts