Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums, but was very glad to see a Walther page for the P99.  Doesn't seem to be much out there.  Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.  

I do have a question.  I have had a 9mm P99 for about 8 months, and I was hoping the magazine release would loosen up for me by now, but it hasn't.  I don't know if my wimpy, girly hands are weak or what, but when trying to release the mag, especially with rounds still in it, I have to use 2 fingers (one on each side) to fully depress the lever and release the mag.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Or do you think I just need to work it in a little more?  I use the P99 in IDPA matches as well as some other stuff, and this causes problems for me when it comes to speed!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

*Actually I just checked into this problem a little further and I noticed that when the mag is empty, I have no problems. Only when there are rounds left in the magazine does this problem occur. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This is typical and not really a problem per say. If you have major problems I would suggest you pull the slide back and lock it back and then drop the mag.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's only hard for my P99 .40 when it's got all 10 rounds in it... also hard to seat the mag.

Thankfully there's not a big call to drop a full mag under pressure... I prefer to empty it out via the barrel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
treehgnhpy,
I find that it helps to use the middle finger on the mag release instead of the trigger finger. It is easier to get more leverage onto the mag release this way.

-Yoshi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any problem inserting the full mag, just ejecting it with rounds left. And it actually does cause a problem during IDPA matches, because quick mag changes need to be done on the fly, and to take the time to lock back the slide and drop the mag wouldn't make much difference and would cost me time. For instance, if I have 10 rounds loaded, fire off 7, I need to have 9 rounds for the next part of the stage, I have to drop the mag with 3 rounds left and insert a fresh one.....FAST...and this is proving to be pretty difficult since I need to adjust my grip to allow 2 fingers (one on each side) to release the mag. Thanks for all the insight.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hmm...I also shoot IDPA with my P99 and have not had the problem you are having. It is hard to eject the mag when it is full, but it comes out very easy when a few rounds are shot. I use my trigger finger only to push the paddle. Maybe you should call Walther USA.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
treehgnhpy,

Does this happen with all of your mags? Sounds like either the mag spring pressure is very high (new mags?), or maybe a burr on the mag release mechanism inside the magwell or on the magazines themselves. Take a look, maybe gently polish up the faying surfaces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i put the large backstrap on last week and shot with it,felt comfortable but it moved my thumb away from the mag. release to the point where i had to adjust the pistol in my hand to release an empty mag.so i changed back to the med.where now i can release w/out adjusting the pistol in my hand.instead of carrying 10+1 i now carry 9+1 due to the diffuculty in releasing the fully loaded mag.not a big deal i can live w/ that until i decide to put in some new springs from Wolff as recommened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
treehgnhpy: It must be a natural design of the P99, because like other people here do, I also use my middle finger for magazine releases.

I own a P99 chambered in 9mm. From my experience, more force is needed to insert a fully loaded 10 round magazine, but it has never been difficult.

The same goes for releasing a fully loaded 10 round magazine. More force is definitely needed on the magazine release, but I've never had problems with using one finger.

I've never noticed if the same types of situations would be found with other handguns, i.e. extra effort needed for seating fully loaded mag, releasing fully loaded mag... maybe others with experience here might be able to provide some comparisons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts