Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about leaving this post 100 times before but have been embarrassed :eek:

I've owned my P99AS for sometime now. Picked up a 99cAS more recently as well. Intended to dedicate the full size in home for HD, and the compact for CC. While I own several other handguns, I believe that the AS system is ideal for SD, plus I shoot it better than anything else!

The problem is this: all of the other handguns I own, and which I enjoy shooting for fun at the range by the way, have traditional push-button mag release systems. After shooting the P99s and then switching over to the others, I find that I instinctively try to release the mags on my other handguns like the P99; that is with my index (aka trigger) finger groping around the trigger guard. This scares me to death (trigger finger poking around the trigger area) especially when I am in the process of dropping a mag with a round still chambered.

I am sure that there are many members here who don't shoot P99 exclusively. Do any of you find this transition hard to make? Does anyone share/see my concern? Has anyone developed tricks/techniques to overcome this?

· Registered
536 Posts
Here's what i do: I always index my first finger along the side of the slide except when it's pulling the trigger. When i want to drop the mag, i index the first finger and drop the mag with the second finger. It's actually more comfortable for me this way, and comes instinctively now.

thorn

· Registered
3 Posts
+2 even. I drop my mags with my middle finger so my index stays on the frame. Safer, and more comfortable this way for me. (Although it IS a bit confusing when I go from my P99 to guns with the standard push-button release.. lol)

· Registered
536 Posts
My only other gun is a Ruger MKII, which has the euro heel release.... but when i had the Glock, i did experience a bit of that momentary "oh wait, on this gun it's different" thing in the beginning.

But a lot of practice will help. As Chikan said, this method is a LOT safer IMO... it keeps your index finger's muscle memory as the "trigger finger" - not as the "does everything finger". I tend to think it can cut down on ND potential, and like i mentioned earlier - it's more comfy for me anyway.

thorn

· Registered
224 Posts
I played with this method a tad last night and didn't like it. I'm wondering if I should give it a little more time to get used to it before deciding to make make a permanent change. When I use my index finger its a straight drop to the mag release, but with my middle finger its an over and down which I think gives me more of a chance to hit the trigger accidentally.

· Registered
127 Posts
I haven't tried the thumb method.....but it sounds weird....like bannanna fingers....no offense, just a chuckle. I would imagine me tripping the trigger accidentaly if I tried using my thumb(I have the AS trigger), but only time I've ever hit the mag release was when I was empty and needed a fresh mag(I'm not a competition shooter)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.