Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about leaving this post 100 times before but have been embarrassed :eek:

I've owned my P99AS for sometime now. Picked up a 99cAS more recently as well. Intended to dedicate the full size in home for HD, and the compact for CC. While I own several other handguns, I believe that the AS system is ideal for SD, plus I shoot it better than anything else!

The problem is this: all of the other handguns I own, and which I enjoy shooting for fun at the range by the way, have traditional push-button mag release systems. After shooting the P99s and then switching over to the others, I find that I instinctively try to release the mags on my other handguns like the P99; that is with my index (aka trigger) finger groping around the trigger guard. This scares me to death (trigger finger poking around the trigger area) especially when I am in the process of dropping a mag with a round still chambered.

I am sure that there are many members here who don't shoot P99 exclusively. Do any of you find this transition hard to make? Does anyone share/see my concern? Has anyone developed tricks/techniques to overcome this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's what i do: I always index my first finger along the side of the slide except when it's pulling the trigger. When i want to drop the mag, i index the first finger and drop the mag with the second finger. It's actually more comfortable for me this way, and comes instinctively now.

thorn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's what i do: I always index my first finger along the side of the slide except when it's pulling the trigger. When i want to drop the mag, i index the first finger and drop the mag with the second finger. It's actually more comfortable for me this way, and comes instinctively now.

thorn
This is my method as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was about ready to ask the same question and found this thread. This method works pretty well and I think I will use it. Now that all I own is Walthers with this safety I can perfect the action.

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 on the middle finger mag release tripping, index finger running along side of the frame where its on standby and ready to rock and roll

·
Registered
3 Posts
+2 even. I drop my mags with my middle finger so my index stays on the frame. Safer, and more comfortable this way for me. (Although it IS a bit confusing when I go from my P99 to guns with the standard push-button release.. lol)

·
Registered
536 Posts
My only other gun is a Ruger MKII, which has the euro heel release.... but when i had the Glock, i did experience a bit of that momentary "oh wait, on this gun it's different" thing in the beginning.

But a lot of practice will help. As Chikan said, this method is a LOT safer IMO... it keeps your index finger's muscle memory as the "trigger finger" - not as the "does everything finger". I tend to think it can cut down on ND potential, and like i mentioned earlier - it's more comfy for me anyway.

thorn

·
Registered
225 Posts
I played with this method a tad last night and didn't like it. I'm wondering if I should give it a little more time to get used to it before deciding to make make a permanent change. When I use my index finger its a straight drop to the mag release, but with my middle finger its an over and down which I think gives me more of a chance to hit the trigger accidentally.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't tried the thumb method.....but it sounds weird....like bannanna fingers....no offense, just a chuckle. I would imagine me tripping the trigger accidentaly if I tried using my thumb(I have the AS trigger), but only time I've ever hit the mag release was when I was empty and needed a fresh mag(I'm not a competition shooter)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts