Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my QA to the range for the 2nd time yesterday and put another 230 rds in it (shot 170 the first time) and had 1 FTF and 1 FTE. just wondering though, is it possible that it could've been due to below par loading? i ask because sometimes i don't pay too much mind to how carefully i'm putting in 1 round after the other. also, i think i might've dropped 1 mag after i'd already loaded it.

any comments would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Anythings possible
what ammo did you use?

where these 10 round magazines?
was the gun clean and lubed?
is it possible you limp wristed? Polymer guns are more sensitive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i remember correctly, the FTE was from a PMC 124 grain round from the mag i dropped. the FTF was from a PMC 116(?) grain round and it's quite possible that one was limp wristed as it was gf that was shooting it.

gun was cleaned and lubed. speaking of which, how important is it to clean and lube our p99s after shooting? (assuming we shoot 1 or 2 times a month?)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I clean and relube after every range session.

Keeps the P99 in ready to shoot condition should i require it. Especially at a time when any FTEs or FTFs might be catastrophic.

-stunks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input stunks, and are u in atl as your name suggests? if so, what model p99 do u own and where do u typically go to shoot?

·
Registered
67 Posts
After loading your magazines, it's always good to tap them against your palm to fully seat the bullets against the rear of the magazine.

Personally, I thoroughly clean my pistol every time I shoort, regardless of how many rounds I've shot. And I clean my magazines each time, also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
PMC ammunition is notorious for being lightly loaded. The 115/116 loadings sometimes cause FTE in my old P38 and it is a tired old pistol. My P99 would barely shoot two or three rounds before jamming. After 500 rounds of +P+ ammo, it will now cycle.

Walthers are designed for the heavier euro bullet weights and new Walthers with lighter bullets are known for inducing pistol drills at unannounced times.

My 1916 DWM artillery Luger will not function at all with PMC ammo. It does love the hot stull though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Report for my .40

I am just shy of 1000 rounds and have had only two hiccups and they occured during the range trip before last. The latest was flawless as normal (despite my inaccuracy:)

.40 in OD with use from 155 to 180 grains target and defense rounds

The only trouble has been with 170 grain Fiocci loads.

Two failed to feed from the fifty rounds. Each round was ejected and reloaded, in a differnt mag, in a known location and fed through three different mags. Each round failed to feed in each different mag, regardless of location within that mag.

After the ftf for each failed round in a new mag, I bunched the three together and cycled them through individually. They each failed to feed once more.

I attributed the failure to the manufacturers casings, as each one fired when manually loaded into the chamber.

Care to share your reports?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts