Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAC has video out comparing the Q5 SF to several different competition oriented handguns. He rated it the worst of the four pistols he tested. Seems he didn't like the balance and feel of the gun.

Before anyone beats me up, no, I do not think MAC's reviews are the end all be all. I do believe he's an honest guy though and the opinions he offers are really his opinions.

It's on YouTube and an interesting watch.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
MAC is an odd bird.

I saw a video where he got some ULTRA-custom AK VEPR from a fab shop that supports his channel, than proceeded to compare accuracy to a used ex-LEO dept POF AR trade-in that was purchased by his camera guy. The POF didn't cycle properly, the camera guy basically brought the AR out for first shots in that vid, and was not comfortable shooting it.

They also shot light rounds, knowing FULL well the 1-10 twist POF barrel produces best accuracy with >168gr.

His opinion carries little weight IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I watched the video again. MAC has some valid points.

The trigger of the SF is no better and perhaps slightly heavier than the plastic Q5. To be truly leading the field, Walther should address this. Perhaps Apex will if Walther is in no position too.

There should be grip options. Not everyone's hands are the same. For me, the stock grip is OK but not ideal. I suspect I'm not alone.

There should be recoil spring options. Tuning the gun to a load is a common thing in competition circles. It should be easy to change the recoil spring without jumping through hoops.

In summary, at least to me, the QF SF offering is off to a good start. It could stand for a little refinement however.

I realize there are guys out there modifying grips, coming up with solutions to recoil spring tuning and experimenting with trigger jobs. For the price of the gun, less of that should be necessary or if necessary, it should be easier to accomplish. Just my two sense.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
A while back I read some reviews and ratings on peanut butter. I promptly went on line and purchased their no. 1 rated peanut butter.

I thought it tasted like poop. I actually thru it in the trash and went back to my ole standby.

I'm thinkin if I'd added enough 'Mike's hot honey' to the no. 1 rated peanut butter, it may have been ok. Love that honey on biscuits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I watched the video again. MAC has some valid points.

The trigger of the SF is no better and perhaps slightly heavier than the plastic Q5. To be truly leading the field, Walther should address this. Perhaps Apex will if Walther is in no position too.

There should be grip options. Not everyone's hands are the same. For me, the stock grip is OK but not ideal. I suspect I'm not alone.

There should be recoil spring options. Tuning the gun to a load is a common thing in competition circles. It should be easy to change the recoil spring without jumping through hoops.

In summary, at least to me, the QF SF offering is off to a good start. It could stand for a little refinement however.

I realize there are guys out there modifying grips, coming up with solutions to recoil spring tuning and experimenting with trigger jobs. For the price of the gun, less of that should be necessary or if necessary, it should be easier to accomplish. Just my two sense.
I agree with everything you said here. I’m definitely in need of a smaller grip option. I can make the stock offering work, but it’s no where near ideal for me.

With that said, there is a certain level of comfort shooting a stock gun in competition. I’m spending more time practicing and less time tinkering with parts. I’m also less concerned about function and reliability, assuming the gun runs right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A much better review from someone that knows how to shoot. He lists his own personal preferences but also acknowledges they are all terrific pistols and personal preferences will come into the decision.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with everything you said here. I’m definitely in need of a smaller grip option. I can make the stock offering work, but it’s no where near ideal for me.

With that said, there is a certain level of comfort shooting a stock gun in competition. I’m spending more time practicing and less time tinkering with parts. I’m also less concerned about function and reliability, assuming the gun runs right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am with you on the stock gun. I'm of the opinion the SF should come with a better trigger. One that is more competitive with its competition oriented competition.

Perhaps it should come with multiple recoil springs or at least in a setup that allows them to be easily swapped.

I believe there are third parties (LOK?) working on different grip options.

The SF is an expensive gun and a good one. Those little refinements though would make a big difference I think in its suitability as an out of the box competition gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As an owner of an SF Pro, I can say that while I don’t agree 100% with him, especially on his commentary about balance (but perhaps the magwell makes a notable difference?), I don’t think his review was obtuse or objectively awful, it was comparative and suits HIS opinion.

Having shot the Sig as well as my SF side by side, to me they are notably different and the Sig striker trigger system is, for factory configuration, probably my favorite on the market across the board (I have a P320 M17 and an X-Compact). Walther could have done better, but honestly I only notice it’s “flaws” when I am trying to find them. When I’m on the move or shooting more quickly, I really don’t notice that much across most striker platforms.

I’m probably 50/50 on MAC but I take no issue with him personally. I think his reviews are practical for more casual enthusiasts, perhaps not so focused on those with a competitive bug.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an owner of an SF Pro, I can say that while I don’t agree 100% with him, especially on his commentary about balance (but perhaps the magwell makes a notable difference?), I don’t think his review was obtuse or objectively awful, it was comparative and suits HIS opinion.

Having shot the Sig as well as my SF side by side, to me they are notably different and the Sig striker trigger system is, for factory configuration, probably my favorite on the market across the board (I have a P320 M17 and an X-Compact). Walther could have done better, but honestly I only notice it’s “flaws” when I am trying to find them. When I’m on the move or shooting more quickly, I really don’t notice that much across most striker platforms.

I’m probably 50/50 on MAC but I take no issue with him personally. I think his reviews are practical for more casual enthusiasts, perhaps not so focused on those with a competitive bug.
I think that's a very fair and balanced view. Like you, I see it as a good gun that could have been and maybe should have been a little better. It's a tough niche as people are chasing every bit of performance and advantage they can get. The third parties are just now coming on board and perhaps that will be the answer or perhaps Walther will come out with a 2.0 version.

I'm with you on MAC. It's not a competition oriented channel. I think it's mostly good entertainment that sometimes cross the line into useful information. His opinions are typically informed but at the end of the day, so are the opinions of most of us on this board.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Walther's solution to the trigger issue was supposed to be their Expert trigger. Alas, that's probably not going to happen. They should have seen that coming though. The US side of Walther should have seen that coming.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My experience is that there are FEW really "competition ready" out of the box pistols. Almost every brand I see at matches the owner has done "something" to improve the pistol for competition. It may just be something as "stealthy" as a "ghost" connector, or obvious as skateboard tape or stippling, but something usually has been done.

My Dan Wesson 1911's have had different grips, a magwell and f/o front sights installed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The fun is making it better

Jimmo952;1211164 I realize there are guys out there modifying grips said:
The fun in a gun purchase for me is making something that is a great platform much better. Yes I have made my own grip, replaced all the springs, improved the trigger pull, creep and reset, installed new front sight, installed a RSO Trijicon optic and purchased the 5.5 inch barrell for my SF. Iv'e never had so much fun in my life.

A new hobby of mine with this gun is shooting golf balls at 35 yards.

Loveing my Q5 SF.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The fun in a gun purchase for me is making something that is a great platform much better. Yes I have made my own grip, replaced all the springs, improved the trigger pull, creep and reset, installed new front sight, installed a RSO Trijicon optic and purchased the 5.5 inch barrell for my SF. Iv'e never had so much fun in my life.

A new hobby of mine with this gun is shooting golf balls at 35 yards.

Loveing my Q5 SF.
Do you mean the Trijicon SRO? If so, what size dot did you get? I'm planning on getting the 5moa dot for IDPA/USPSA, for my Q5 Poly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you mean the Trijicon SRO? If so, what size dot did you get? I'm planning on getting the 5moa dot for IDPA/USPSA, for my Q5 Poly.

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I have the 1 moa, not sure why you need a larger dot as when you crank up the brightness three levels this thing can't be missed.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
SF needs a paddle mag release. That solves the fat grip, can't reach the button issue. :D While they're at it, put a manual 'thumb' safety on it and drop in that 'Expert' trigger.

If they'd do that, I'd buy one.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
10mm or 357Sig or 45acp will have me opening my wallet.

I haven't purchased a handgun this year, might need to go to the Dr. and see what's wrong with me.

Reactions: imaoldfart

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Just imagine how many models a manufacturer would need to build just to satisfy a relatively minor demand for "enhancements". The final retail price would be astronomical....or they simply would eliminate all but 1 or 2 versions....like we have now. I suspect some mods will be forthcoming as demands/requests flow in and more buyers switch to other brands for those options.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts