Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an M1 5”, because I love the paddle release. My intention was to eventually use it to start USPSA production. I just noticed that it is not on the approved list. Does this mean it’s really not approved or just not listed since there’s really no difference to the M2?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would say there should be someone in the USPSA that could answer this question better than us. From what I can gather, others have been running M1 PPQ. Given that the only difference is the mag release style, I can't think why it wouldn't be allowed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just go to a match and ask. But go planning to shoot. I don't think they'll be any issue with your paddle release.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you and will do!!!
Im actually picking it up today. I live in Florida and had to wait 5 business days to get it. I can’t wait to try it out at the range.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I posted in the other thread, but I don’t know for sure about USPSA. I had heard that there had to be some minimum # of pistols sold, or manufactured, before it would be added to the list. But if the 4” M1 is ok, and the 5” M2 is ok, then it seems to me that the 5” M1 would be ok as well.

I just now checked the website and it says: ”2000 manufactured and available to the general public”

Not sure how that gets documented. The 5” M1 was initially a limited release through Gun Buyer. I would hope it is past the 2000 mark by now.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent an email to USPSA and was told that the M1 5” did not meet the production criteria at the moment.
This was their response:
“If it is not specifically listed on the Production Gun List then it is not legal for Production use. You may use it in Limited or L10. Not all guns have been produced in sufficient numbers to allow for the manufacturer to apply for them to be listed on the Production Gun list and this may well be the case with the 5" Model 1.”

So, my guess is that since it is only being sold by gunbuyer.com it might no have met the criteria for the 2000units manufactured.

I’m pretty numbed out because I bought it specifically for that purpose so I’m might have to trade it in.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wouldn’t give up yet. From what OldFart posted in the other thread, it looks like the M1 5” is now being sold by many different retailers.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/121756-m1-4-vs-q5-m1-5-a-2.html

I wasn’t aware of that, as I haven’t checked in a while.....and I bought mine from GunBuyer when they first came out. I would guess that Walther must have hit the “2000 manufactured” mark by now, but I’m not sure how to verify that. You might want to call customer service and ask. Then it should be added to the list.

Dave

·
Registered
465 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy, but my PPQ (m1 classic- gun-buyer edition in bronze). Only says PPQ on the slide and the person checking would be none the wiser that it's not a M2 Variant.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Errrrr, M1 has a paddle, M2 has a button, its pretty obvious, even to Stevie Wonder, which is which. NONE are marked as M1 or M2, just PPQ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah you can tell, plus the M1 5” comes with fiber optic front sight. Either way I can use it at the local range for competition in the mean time. Hopefully it will be on the production list in the near future if not, I’ll probably trade for a sig p320 since it’s modular.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been using a Q5 Match M1 in USPSA. The production list only says "Q5 Match 9mm 5 inch barrel (27.5 oz.)" I assumed both are fine since it doesn't specify M1 or M2.

For what it's worth on the Walther website it states in the description for both M1 and M2 variants of the Q5:
USPSA approved for Production and Carry Optics.
IDPA approved for Stock Service Pistol and Carry Optics

Not the same thing as the M1 5" situation, I realize. Seems like the 'list' could stand some clarification. I suppose an argument could be made either way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 2000 sold has to be verified by Walther with a letter sent to USPSA headquarters. The units sold for Carry Optics is 500.

The reality is you can pretty much use it at a local match. I shoot at 5 different clubs and no one has ever checked that kind of detail. In fact I have never been checked for anything at a local match. The only time you will get corrected is if you are doing something obviously wrong, like loading your production mags to full capacity.

If you go to major match you can expect to get everything checked, although even at those its a hit or miss thing. At the Area 4 match in 2019 no equipment was checked except to chrono your ammo.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I sent a question to Walther customer service in the US. If/when they respond I will post here.

Update: As of Feb. 3, 2020, I've received no answer from Walther, so I sent back another email.

Dave

·
Registered
500 Posts
As of Feb. 3, no response from Walther. If anyone from Walther reads this forum, please give us an update. I sent another message to Customer Service. If I hear back I will post again.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I got a response this morning: According to Walther, they are at 1500 units so far. So this falls short of the 2000 required.

Hopefully they will continue and will reach 2000 but they didn’t provide anything further in the email.

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
That seems amazingly low. Is that just Q5 Match Classics or all 5" ppq m1's?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not sure. The question I asked was for the 5” PPQ M1 model. Since it is being sold by several retailers (more than Gunbuyer, who initially offered it), I had hoped it would have reached 2000 already. I would have thought that the Q5 M1 is a different model, but I don’t know much about how USPSA defines that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts