Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Longer sight radius tends to lend itself to increased precision and higher velocity because more powder is burned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As far as actual mechanical accuracy - the guns are probably almost identical.

When practical accuracy comes into the picture PPS1980 correctly points out that the longer sight radius is generally an asset to most shooters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No expert here, but the higher fps from the 5" should translate to increased accuracy as distance increases. However, long distance isn't exactly the best use case for pistols.

Also, I chose 9mm specifically because it so common, but that doesn't mean it couldn't perform better. Why not increase its performance with a little longer barrel? If its not my CCW I'll take the extra inch in length for slightly more power and accuracy.

I gave my 4" to a family member and purchased an M1 5" and am happy I did (part of that is knowing my brother in law has a reliable pistol to protect his family).

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you are looking for better accuracy, the first thing I would try is different ammo. Every gun test that uses different ammo shows quite a bit of difference between brands and types. :p

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Longer barrels have longer sight radius and the round will travel a little faster...so yes. Enough to make a difference? Probably not. I would expect the guns to be essentially the same in all respects under 50 ft.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Both are accurate firearms, but accuracy falls on the shoulders of the shooter. 5" has a longer sight radius, so it might be a little easier to keep the sights lined up on target, but, it all really boils down to the shooter knowing his gun and the ability to keep it on target.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Agree with all the above. I have a 4” M1 and a 5” M1. Both are great. I got the 5” model for IDPA, etc. Longer sight radius helps a little bit. For carry, I go with the 4”. Since they are both M1 the mags are interchangeable too.

Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 4" and 5" M2s. I certainly can't see any accuracy difference. Unless you're a top tier shooter, I suspect you won't either.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
For HD/SD purposes, as it pertains to accuracy, it won't make any difference. If you're shooting at 100 yards, or greater, the 5", theoretically, should edge out the 4".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with all the above. I have a 4” M1 and a 5” M1. Both are great. I got the 5” model for IDPA, etc. Longer sight radius helps a little bit. For carry, I go with the 4”. Since they are both M1 the mags are interchangeable too.

Regards,
Dave
Do you shoot your 5” M1 in USPSA Production div ? It is not specifically listed on the allowed list the M1. 4” is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sorry, I haven’t done USPSA so I can’t answer that. Others on here know a lot more than me in terms of the rules. If the 4” M1 is ok, and the 5” M2 is ok, then I would expect the 5” M1 should be ok as well. I understand that there are some requirements regarding the # of pistols sold or manufactured, but I don’t know for sure, or if that is relevant here.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts