Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I believe me made a comment about”would I drive a car made in 1929” . I would take that as the vehicle is obsolete. You dont have to say the magic word to imply what your trying to imply. To me that would mean the vehicle was obsolete. Made a comment about 1911 owners, cant quite remember what he said. To me, I wouldn't knock someones choice and in a round about manner to tell them their pistol is obsolete. First let me say he has some valid points. I can tell you the sig 365 is a great weapon, possible a much better handgun than the Glock 42 , does that make the Glock 42 in 380 outdated “obsolete” absolutely not. They all will perform in what these guns were designed to do, protect you.

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
I believe me made a comment about”would I drive a car made in 1929” . I would take that as the vehicle is obsolete. You dont have to say the magic word to imply what your trying to imply. To me that would mean the vehicle was obsolete. Made a comment about 1911 owners, cant quite remember what he said. To me, I wouldn't knock someones choice and in a round about manner to tell them their pistol is obsolete. First let me say he has some valid points. I can tell you the sig 365 is a great weapon, possible a much better handgun than the Glock 42 , does that make the Glock 42 in 380 outdated “obsolete” absolutely not. They all will perform in what these guns were designed to do, protect you.
He made a comment about 1911 fans willingness to pay high prices for their guns.

I did not take that comment as a rip on the platform or the people who favor it but as a somewhat tongue in cheek observation that happens to sometimes be true.

He did not say 1911s were bad or the people that favor them silly.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have brought it up over a dozen times. Is my hand-made baroque living room table superior to the Ikea table that my son cherishes? It is definitely less practical, even more fragile and a serviceable table twice the size would be a fraction of what I paid.

Suum cuique. No reason for a common man to have a refined pistol, when he does not appreciate quality and is an average shot :).

Here is another impractical and obsolete plinker that I do not intend to retire anytime soon; an HK4 in .22 l.r.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There's definitely a market for the PP/PPK/PPKS and I love the three that I have, but would I trust my life to one of those pistols in light of significantly better options? Absolutely not. My "EDC" is a Glock 43X MOS with the Shield Arms 15-round magazines (that are the same size as the OEM 10-round magazines) that give me the capacity of the Glock 19 in the G43X format. I don't want to have to remember to take safeties off, I don't want a f'n 50lb pull (yes, I know I'm exaggerating) for the first round, I don't want to think about in what state of readiness I'm carrying a pistol in. Unholster and press the trigger with two rounds center mass in less than half a second. It's hard to beat the polymer pistol formats for that. That being said... I'm not singling out my PPK/PPKS's. That goes for my 1911's, my Sig P220, Sig 938, Beretta 92's... Do I enjoy looking at and shooting every one of those? Oh my goodness, yes. :love: Do I think they're good choices for a defensive "EDC" pistol when I have a butt-ugly Glock 17, 19, 43, or 43X available? Absolutely not.

I thought the sports car analogy was a great one. Do I love taking out my sleek, German motorcycle for a good run on it from time to time? Yep. But for going back and forth to work, to the vet, to the grocery, to Costco, etc? I'll take my ugly, but reliable and efficient GroceryGetter™.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In the end all that matters is if you need it can you depend upon it. I don't know many people who have actually needed to defend themselves. What a person carries for peace of mind is their choice and if you are practiced with it then you can depend upon it. There is no such thing as an obsolete gun in the hands is someone who knows that gun and can shoot it well. Personally I own a Kimber Micro 9 and it was made in 2021. But there are some who would call it obsolete. My other SD gun will be a 1983 vintage PPK-S in stainless, but I will never carry it untill I feel I am competent with it and have confidence with it. I know people who carry a 22lr Ruger LCP 2, but they are very good with it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
In the end all that matters is if you need it can you depend upon it. I don't know many people who have actually needed to defend themselves. What a person carries for peace of mind is their choice and if you are practiced with it then you can depend upon it. There is no such thing as an obsolete gun in the hands is someone who knows that gun and can shoot it well. Personally I own a Kimber Micro 9 and it was made in 2021. But there are some who would call it obsolete. My other SD gun will be a 1983 vintage PPK-S in stainless, but I will never carry it untill I feel I am competent with it and have confidence with it. I know people who carry a 22lr Ruger LCP 2, but they are very good with it.
Oh and by the way I have plenty of ammo in 380 to become competent with the PPK-S

·
Registered
13 Posts
While I don't own a PPK I do carry a PPKS in 380 as my EDC it's the new one made in Fort Smith Arkansas I have 100% confendence that my PPKS will keep me safe and yes I seen the video and the glock he compared then wants to talk about price diffrence a better gun to use would have been the Ruger LCP 2 in 380 it can be bought as cheap as 350.00 and it's much better than a glock imo. But I carry my PPKS in my cargo pants pocket all year round.

·
Registered
252 Posts
While I don't own a PPK I do carry a PPKS in 380 as my EDC it's the new one made in Fort Smith Arkansas I have 100% confendence that my PPKS will keep me safe and yes I seen the video and the glock he compared then wants to talk about price diffrence a better gun to use would have been the Ruger LCP 2 in 380 it can be bought as cheap as 350.00 and it's much better than a glock imo. But I carry my PPKS in my cargo pants pocket all year round.
The major no go for me in both the Glock and the Ruger is lack of manual safety. My Micro has one and that is why I carry it. The PPK-S has a decker safety and DA trigger which prevents inadvertent firing. I take the guns out of my pocket at times other than to use in self-defense and don't need a Glock leg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My uncle carries a P88 I bet they think he's crazy to. Ruger just released the LCP MAX which is a 10shot 380 that can be had for under 400.00 USD that option was better to compare than a glock. The PPK PPKS are the Rolls Royce of 380s there expensive but will stand the test of time. I carry ARX polycase ammo in my PPKS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have experience with the PPK except through reading Fleming's James Bond novels. That said, I thought Baker's assessment -- which was squarely aimed at first-time buyers of self-defense guns - was fair and fact-based. He faulted the /380 PPK for being essentially unchanged since the 1930's, for being very heavy for its size, for having relatively heavy felt recoil due to its straight blowback action, and for poor ergonomics. And he showed how the .380 Glock 42 - similar in size and ammo capacity - differed, which demonstrates the evolution of handguns since...well, the 1930's.

He didn't say anything to demean those who love Walther pistols, who in particular who love the PPK and collect and shoot it. His point was simply: it's not a good gun for a first-time buyer seeking a self-defense gun. I thought he made a good case for that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I exercised my 42 (with Trooper sights, Hogue grip, and Pearce +1 pinky extensions on the mags for 7+1) this weekend alongside the Ft. Smith PPK/S (also 7+1).

For 'practical purposes' the 42 wins; they're both accurate, both 7+1, but the 42 is lighter and cheaper (GSSF price plus accessories about 470 vs. 7xx for the PPK/S) and I get another one readily if needed; good luck finding another first edition Ft. Smith PPK/S.

The ironic thing is that so many new shooters, if they opt for 380, are being steered to the LCP (new MAX especially) which is a terrible first self-defense gun. Weight and size are good things for new shooters; and both the 9s and 380s in barrel lengths less than 3" turn out poor terminal performance. If a total newbie said they wanted a .380 I'd probably end up steering them to the SW 380EZ as ergonomic, accurate, and affordable with a barrel long enough to make 380 effective (not FBI ballistic gel effective of course).

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my opinion, Lucky Gunner makes good points regarding the PPK, especially comments about the sharp edges (still looking for aftermarket grips that will negate the handgrip bite left after firing just a few mags). A few positive aspects for me, however, include;
  1. a physical safety (sorry Glock, old school here & can’t carry a loaded weapon without one)
  2. 3.25” barrel provides greater accuracy than shorter barrel weapons
  3. De-cocker
  4. Narrow profile for easy concealed carry
  5. Pin indicating presence of round in the chamber
  6. Easy dis-assembly for cleaning
  7. Expect my PPK/S will retain much higher value than similar polymer pistols after 10 years
  8. Coolest gun ever 😉

·
Registered
31 Posts
I watched the video as someone who likes modern Walthers and has shot vintage Walthers and considered a PPK/S when looking for my wife’s first carry pistol. I had pretty much come to some of the same conclusions. The DA is pretty bad compared to DA revolvers or many other DA/SA autos of larger or similar size. My wife picked the Beretta 85 in .380. A bit bigger than the Walther, but lighter, better trigger, and pretty darned comfortable to shoot. This was in the early 1990s.

So, I indentify pretty strongly with the notion that there are better options for first guns.

I would contend that obsolete may be strong Language. I also am of the opinion that snub nosed revolvers are poor choices for “first” guns. I think both the PPK and J-frame snubbies are better suited to experienced shooters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was very interested in this video when I saw it drop, as I have lots of respect for Chris Baker and his many reasoned videos on the subject of firearms. In short, he makes a lot of valid points around not recommending the PPK in .380 to someone looking for their first gun.

If you're not familiar with Baker, he's decently trained in the art of pistol craft, having taken several classes with some very respected firearms instructors like Ernest Langdon. That's significant because Langdon is one of the few current pistol instructors who prefer DA/SA pistols for self defense and who can properly teach techniques specific to the action. Baker is an advocate for DA/SA himself, has written a favorable review on the Walther PP in .32 ACP, and is a fan of .32 caliber in general. So while I do agree with his assessment of the PPK in this specific use case, I'm surprised he only briefly mentions the high price of the .32 ACP variant, and doesn't mention his experience with the PP at all. As the video is directed to new shooters, I suppose it's to keep them focused on what they should be looking for in that first gun to learn on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understood that reference.

His was in .32 though.
Are we sure? When he was given a PPK/S by Q in the museum in Skyfall, it was stated to be “9mm Short”.

I think they should have stuck with the 99AS. It does sneak it’s way into a few scenes though In later movies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
People who can't afford the ppk or ppks I usually recommend the CCP m2 you can get it in 380 or 9mm and it's around 550 with a manual safety.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first remembrance of cool cars was when I was sent off to boarding school in Aiken SC back in the early to mid ‘60’s. I was probably 11 maybe 12. They would have a sports day and all the parents would show up with their “mines better than yours” toy (aka sports cars).

One guy drove in in a 356 setup for rally races. One came rolling up in a brand new black Sting Ray, another thought he had the best with a Jaguar XKE rag top, the last one I remember was a Oldsmobile Tornado which at the time was a revolutionary car. With its front wheel drive. I wonder what they go for today if they were marketed as “NIB”. 🤔
I learned to shoot on a PPK. I’ve used the old Porsche analogy myself. I think it made me better. Did I buy it because of Roger Moore and Sean Connery? Yup. Was I disappointed all the times it jammed on me at the range? Yup. Did I start shooting a lot better when I bought a G42? Of course. I think the LG video was short sighted and didn’t explain why it has such a loyal following. It’s still a safe and accurate shooter just like an old 911 is fun to drive if you know what you’re doing.
My EDC is now a PPS M2 which does everything I wish the PPK could do.
Obsolete was not the right word in my opinion. It’s almost like he finished the video early and didn’t present both sides. He just doesn’t like the PPK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lucky Gunner put out a you tube video claiming the Walther PPK was basically obsolete for use. I responded to this claim. It may not be for him but not everyone drives the same model vehicle. Very disappointed with his comments.
I don’t know, in my way of thinking if it shoots a lethal bullet it’s not obsolete.
Just ask any deer on black powder opening day.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts