Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If someone would ask me what gun on a lonely island I would choose a P38. Because it would still work even the barrel was bulged....

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
Btw, I believe the word we're looking for here is "connoisseur" ;)
And the vintage Porsche 911 is a good example. Bathtub Porsche (356) would be an even better one. Wouldn't hate owning one. But would hate to have one as my only daily driver. Aforementioned friend with the two Borchardts? At some point he got so sick of his wife murdering the engine in her 356, he pulled a cask of amontillado on the damn thing. The car, not the wife, although I'm certain the thought crossed his mind. Walled it up in the garage, never to be looked at again.
Yep. Sorry. I never could shpell very well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think it depends ultimately on the definition of "obsolete." Is the 1911 obsolete? No, even by the most narrow of definitions. Parts are available, if that's a consideration, for the 1911 AND the PPK. Parts availability should never, in my mind, be a consideration in buying or carrying a handgun because it assumes the gun is going to break. Sometimes they do, though.

One should remember that the PP was the first DA/SA pistol ever. It's the grandparent of many modern pistols. I've got another pistol that is plastic and holds 11 rounds of 9mm, but that doesn't make my PPK obsolete.

What I carry is my choice. I don't foresee getting in a gun battle; if I did, I'd arm myself with something bigger, heavier, and with a more powerful cartridge. I carry because I enjoy having a handgun on my person. i think that most people who carry in low-crime areas have a bit of Walter Mitty in them; I know I do.

I sometimes carry a FN 1910, .32 APC. I'm happy with that and feel confident I won't be a casualty of some sassy bandit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
To say it's obsolete kind of presumes that it no longer serves it's purpose. My 1998 Gateway PC is most certainly an obsolete and nearly useless piece of junk. That does not accurately describe the PPK, however.

I'll grant that the it's pretty much indisputable that the PPK is well into 'sub-optimal' territory when compared to it's modern contemporaries within the class of .380 caliber concealment oriented handguns.

The PPK most certainly has it's charms though. Even the Ft Smith version.

Of course the counterpoint is... if the Bersa Thunder cost 700 dollars would anyone buy it? I think the answer is NO, NO, NO.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My first remembrance of cool cars was when I was sent off to boarding school in Aiken SC back in the early to mid ‘60’s. I was probably 11 maybe 12. They would have a sports day and all the parents would show up with their “mines better than yours” toy (aka sports cars).

One guy drove in in a 356 setup for rally races. One came rolling up in a brand new black Sting Ray, another thought he had the best with a Jaguar XKE rag top, the last one I remember was a Oldsmobile Tornado which at the time was a revolutionary car. With its front wheel drive. I wonder what they go for today if they were marketed as “NIB”. 🤔

And the vintage Porsche 911 is a good example. Bathtub Porsche (356) would be an even better one. Wouldn't hate owning one. But would hate to have one as my only daily driver. Aforementioned friend with the two Borchardts? At some point he got so sick of his wife murdering the engine in her 356, he pulled a cask of amontillado on the damn thing. The car, not the wife, although I'm certain the thought crossed his mind. Walled it up in the garage, never to be looked at again.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I always preferred the PP over the PPk and still shoot my PPs regularly. I enjoy well made firearms that have good mechanical accuracy, decent ergonomics and good trigger characteristics.

A gun without much practical value in 2021 is currently my favorite range toy and I can shoot this thing as accurately as my Hämmerli International and better than my daily carry gun!

As for that dude's opinion, everybody has an opinion and an [email protected]@hole and much too often both stink.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Lucky Gunner put out a you tube video claiming the Walther PPK was basically obsolete for use. I responded to this claim. It may not be for him but not everyone drives the same model vehicle. Very disappointed with his comments.
I tend not to put a whole lot of faith in what some folks pontificate over. Especially after being in the pistol packing business for over five decades.

Are there pistols that do what the PPK does that are more powerful, lighter, smaller, and have better sights and a trigger? Sure, but taken as a whole the PPK is still what it was designed to be. a relatively small package that is easy to slip in a blue jean back pocket, but large enough to get three and a half fingers on the flat base plate grip. It's .380 with new ammo is on the par with the .38 Special and 9MM with RN ammo. For me it point's well enough to keep all shots at 10 yards in a couple of inches as fast as I can stroke the trigger. As for the double action pull, yes it is hard, but no more so than an older colt or s&w snub nosed 38 from the 50's/60's. And you'll be hard pressed to have an Accidental Discharge but when the adrenalin is flowing thru your arteries when you are in a fight for your life, you'll never even notice the trigger pull. Sights even for a 7 decade old fart like me are more than adequate for me to keep all shots in a tight group out to say 20 yards.

For me the little guns like the Ruger and KelTec are too small for the .380 and are more finikey as to what ammo they reliably run with. Pistols like the KelTec PF -9 and similar sized glocks in 9 MM don't give that much more stopping power when used with hard ball ammo and are really snappy when touched off. For me their relatively light trigger pulls are too light to prevent accidental discharges during stressful circmstances.

Me? I was lucky and picked up a Colt Light Weight Pony about three years ago and It's my off duty weapon. Based on the 1911 it is reliable with any ammo I've put thru it from PowRBall to winchester white box with their flat pointed bullets.

But if push came to shove I'd carry a PPK in a heart beat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I tend not to put a whole lot of faith in what some folks pontificate over. Especially after being in the pistol packing business for over five decades.

Are there pistols that do what the PPK does that are more powerful, lighter, smaller, and have better sights and a trigger? Sure, but taken as a whole the PPK is still what it was designed to be. a relatively small package that is easy to slip in a blue jean back pocket, but large enough to get three and a half fingers on the flat base plate grip. It's .380 with new ammo is on the par with the .38 Special and 9MM with RN ammo. For me it point's well enough to keep all shots at 10 yards in a couple of inches as fast as I can stroke the trigger. As for the double action pull, yes it is hard, but no more so than an older colt or s&w snub nosed 38 from the 50's/60's. And you'll be hard pressed to have an Accidental Discharge but when the adrenalin is flowing thru your arteries when you are in a fight for your life, you'll never even notice the trigger pull. Sights even for a 7 decade old fart like me are more than adequate for me to keep all shots in a tight group out to say 20 yards.

For me the little guns like the Ruger and KelTec are too small for the .380 and are more finikey as to what ammo they reliably run with. Pistols like the KelTec PF -9 and similar sized glocks in 9 MM don't give that much more stopping power when used with hard ball ammo and are really snappy when touched off. For me their relatively light trigger pulls are too light to prevent accidental discharges during stressful circmstances.

Me? I was lucky and picked up a Colt Light Weight Pony about three years ago and It's my off duty weapon. Based on the 1911 it is reliable with any ammo I've put thru it from PowRBall to winchester white box with their flat pointed bullets.

But if push came to shove I'd carry a PPK in a heart beat
I cant agree with you more about what you said. Im in the same camp. I could get a sig 365 from my son, who works for sig. I have no desire to change from the ppk, which I have carried off an on for 5 decades also. I just shoot them well. I was very surprised with Lucky Gunners comments.

·
Registered
159 Posts
While I don't own a Walther PPK, my carry gun is almost identical in size but uses a marginally more powerful cartridge. It's a like new surplus Polish P83 chambered in 9x18 Makarov. It has a decent double action, crisp single action and is very accurate. Loaded with 90 grain XTP hollow points, it's a pretty decent defensive carry pistol. The design is much like the PPK so I'm sure that the fellow in the video would think it obsolete too. I don't.

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
While I don't own a Walther PPK, my carry gun is almost identical in size but uses a marginally more powerful cartridge. It's a like new surplus Polish P83 chambered in 9x18 Makarov. It has a decent double action, crisp single action and is very accurate. Loaded with 90 grain XTP hollow points, it's a pretty decent defensive carry pistol. The design is much like the PPK so I'm sure that the fellow in the video would think it obsolete too. I don't.
To be fair, that's not what he said. He said something to the effect that if a person wanted a blowback pistol of similar design they'd be better off with a Makarov or Sig P230/232.

He didn't mention the Polish P83 either way as I recall.

·
Registered
159 Posts
To be fair, that's not what he said. He said something to the effect that if a person wanted a blowback pistol of similar design they'd be better off with a Makarov or Sig P230/232. He didn't mention the Polish P83 either way as I recall.
Fair enough. If I made a wrong assumption, I apologize. I have owned and shot Russian, East German and Bulgarian Makarovs quite a bit and have carried a Bulgarian Mak in years past. They are fine pistols with the East German models top of the heap IMO. The Makarovs, P83, CZ-50, CZ-70, CZ-82 and Hungarian PA63 all owe much to the PPK in terms of design. For that reason I would expect the same criticisms to apply. But perhaps he considers the Makarovs etc to be an improvement. Of the pistols I've listed, I've owned and shot all but the CZ-50 & CZ-70. All have been extremely reliable and very accurate.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lucky Gunner put out a you tube video claiming the Walther PPK was basically obsolete for use. I responded to this claim. It may not be for him but not everyone drives the same model vehicle. Very disappointed with his comments.
Hmmm....did Lucky actually SAY the PPK is obsolete or did he imply that and you inferred it was obsolete?

I say this because there is a lot of misinformation out there. To be fair to LG is important to me as he's a fair and honest source as far as I'm concerned.

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
Hmmm....did Lucky actually SAY the PPK is obsolete or did he imply that and you inferred it was obsolete?

I say this because there is a lot of misinformation out there. To be fair to LG is important to me as he's a fair and honest source as far as I'm concerned.
I rewatched the LG video. I don't think the term "obsolete" was used.

The term "poor choice" was used when talking about a first gun or only gun for a new shooter.

·
Registered
398 Posts
"Poor choice" I can believe, although when I was just starting off with handguns, a P was about the only choice in a small weapon. I'm not sure it would be a poor choice today, even though there are a lot more choices and many of them more affordable.

True, DA is strong, but my P-guns, it's predictable. My PPK Stainless is pretty smooth, actually, and I don't have to use DA at the range. Not much to compare the DA to, in an auto: they're all "different" or "bad" or "problematical" and to be used only as a matter of last resort. And as for that matter, the S&W Bodyguard in .380 has a much worse DA trigger. I had one for a week or so until l tried to shoot it. No thanks.

Wish I'd bought four or five Maks when they were less than a hundred bucks...the reason I didn't is because (a) I'm incapable of seeing pistols as future investments, and (b) I had a PPK/S, and didn't need another smallish pistol. Even had I bought some Maks, I still would have bought a PPK. Good enough for James Bond, good enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
"Poor choice" I can believe, although when I was just starting off with handguns, a P was about the only choice in a small weapon. I'm not sure it would be a poor choice today, even though there are a lot more choices and many of them more affordable.

True, DA is strong, but my P-guns, it's predictable. My PPK Stainless is pretty smooth, actually, and I don't have to use DA at the range. Not much to compare the DA to, in an auto: they're all "different" or "bad" or "problematical" and to be used only as a matter of last resort. And as for that matter, the S&W Bodyguard in .380 has a much worse DA trigger. I had one for a week or so until l tried to shoot it. No thanks.

Wish I'd bought four or five Maks when they were less than a hundred bucks...the reason I didn't is because (a) I'm incapable of seeing pistols as future investments, and (b) I had a PPK/S, and didn't need another smallish pistol. Even had I bought some Maks, I still would have bought a PPK. Good enough for James Bond, good enough for me.
But if you carry a PPK, shouldn't you train with the first shot DA as you would shoot it in a self-defense encounter?

If you need your PPK and need it quick, it might be good to have practiced that DA first shot and know what you can hit with it.

I agree with you on the Bodyguard 380 though. The one I shot had an atrocious trigger. Not only heavy but stagey and inconsistent.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I suppose if you really expect to use the pistol in self defense, DA would be something to practice. However, at SD range, 3-4 feet, I feel like I can manage a problematical DA. As far as practice goes, ammo is too expensive and dear to spend a lot of time practicing something I'll likely never use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I suppose everyone has their opinions. A number of friends at my gun club probably agree with everything LuckyGunner said in his video. Amusingly, many of those folks will go out of the way to defend older designs that they prefer--like 1911s. But the PPK seems to get dismissed pretty easily. That doesn't mean the PPK is the best choice for everyone, but it still fills a niche as a carry pistol. Are there things that newer designs do better? Yes. Is the PPK in .380 something you would want to shoot all day at the range? Maybe not. But are there things the PPK does better? Maybe. There's not a lot of DA/SA pistols out there in such a small package. To some, that's a nice feature for a carry gun. Old pistol designs show their age in various ways, but at the end of the day all that matters is that the gun works for the end user and that they are able to learn and effectively use it.

21 - 40 of 140 Posts