Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky Gunner put out a you tube video claiming the Walther PPK was basically obsolete for use. I responded to this claim. It may not be for him but not everyone drives the same model vehicle. Very disappointed with his comments.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lucky Gunner put out a you tube video claiming the Walther PPK was basically obsolete for use. I responded to this claim. It may not be for him but not everyone drives the same model vehicle. Very disappointed with his comments.
I don't pay too much attention to negative opinions a particular person has regarding specific firearms. The video reminds me of a discussion that generated a lot of replies when the OP said "The 1911 Sucks". My conclusion when something like that comes up is simple: Don't like it? Don't buy one. The PPK has been around almost as long as the 1911 and they both do what they were designed to do. There's nothing obsolete about that.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The PPK is obsolete though. Heavy, complicated, and finicky. Everything the PPK does, the Glock 42 does better, cheaper, more reliably, and you can actually get it anywhere.
Although the PPK was prettier if we’re talking about the blued, German made ones.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
The PPK is obsolete though. Heavy, complicated, and finicky. Everything the PPK does, the Glock 42 does better, cheaper, more reliably, and you can actually get it anywhere.
Although the PPK was prettier if we’re talking about the blued, German made ones.
Even the new version with the big nose is prettier than the Glock.

It's hard to argue against the Glock being the more practical weapon though.

In the LG video, the host makes the statement that the PPK is probably a poor choice for a new shooter. I'd have to agree with him on that.

I'm a big J-frame revolver fan. I just enjoy trying to shooting and collecting the little buggers.

But like the PPK, they are probably not the gun to introduce new shooters to the sport, especially in the lighter configurations.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll agree the PPK is not very practical because of its weight, sights and lack of external slide lock. That said, I won't go as far as agreeing it's obsolete for civilian personal defense. Properly maintained and in trained hands with modern defensive ammunition, I believe the PPK is still a viable close quarters defensive pistol. Yes, the Glock 42 is a more practical close quarters defensive pistol (given its weight, sights and external slide lock), but that doesn't mean the G42 automatically out performs the PPK in the hands of equally trained people. All that said, neither of these pistols is suitable as a primary side arm for deliberately going into harm's way, as is the case with law enforcement / military personnel who more likely will participate in combat with other armed combatants.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Haven’t had a Glock jam with modern self defense ammo yet. And it’s a LOT easier to chamber a round thanks to the much easier to grab slide serrations. Petty and unfair to compare the Glock 42 with the PPK? Why yes, it’s unfair. Because the PPK is obsolete ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
I'll agree the PPK is not very practical because of its weight, sights and lack of external slide lock. That said, I won't go as far as agreeing it's obsolete. Properly maintained and in trained hands with modern defensive ammunition, I believe the PPK is still a viable close quarters defensive pistol. Yes, the Glock 42 is a more practical close quarters defensive pistol (given its weight, sights and external slide lock), but that doesn't mean the G42 automatically outguns the PPK in the hands of equally trained people.

I wouldn't call the PPK obsolete. It can still do the job in the right hands.

I do think it would be easier to get a new shooter to a reasonable level of competence with the Glock 42 versus the PPK.

At this point in time, the PPK is a conisourer's gun. A person willing and able to put up with the gun's idiosyncrasies, work through them and put in the time to build the necessary skills.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Some people in here say the same about the P99. You think I listen to them. There you go!

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
At this point in time, the PPK is a conisourer's gun. A person willing and able to put up with the gun's idiosyncrasies, work through them and put in the time to build the necessary skills.
Well said. I think you described the PPK and its limitations perfectly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If we’re just going by “can still do the job it’s been made for”, then the Borchardt isn’t obsolete either ;)
Your point is well taken and the Borchardt would not be my choice of pistols. But, don't confuse "obsolete" - no longer made or useful - with "there are better choices". If a Borchardt was all you had available, would you use it in a bad situation? I'm betting you would because it would do the job. Would you prefer to have something newer and better? I'm also betting that you would. I know I would.

I have C-96 Mausers that use the same cartridge as the Borchardt although loaded a bit hotter. I have Lugers, P.38s, 1911s and other assorted "obsolescent" pistols. Would I want to knowingly engage in a gunfight with any of them - other than maybe the 1911s? No, because I have newer and better choices. But if they were all I had, every one of them will still do the job. They're older designs but that doesn't make them useless. They just wouldn't be my first choice for serious business.

·
Registered
743 Posts
A vintage 1970 air cooled Porsche 911 compared to today’s cars is obsolete. But I’d still have one.

heck in 5 years are gas burning sports cars will be obsolete, replaced by electric ones, but will still be very much fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
If I had to pick a gun for a fight and all my choices are Luger, Borchardt, PPK, P.38 and a 1911, obviously I would have to pick the 1911.
I handled and shot them all, and own most of them with the exception of the Borchardt, which a friend of mine owns two of.
At least if your run out of ammo with the 1911, you can still beat the other feller to death with it. And you can get modern spare parts easily enough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"The PPK is a conisourer's gun."

As true during WWII as it is today, in that the PPK was never intended as a infantry combat pistol. Then, as now, there were better choices for deliberate combat. However, the PPK was handy in an emergency (for a staff officer, pilot) . . . then, as now.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Btw, I believe the word we're looking for here is "connoisseur" ;)
And the vintage Porsche 911 is a good example. Bathtub Porsche (356) would be an even better one. Wouldn't hate owning one. But would hate to have one as my only daily driver. Aforementioned friend with the two Borchardts? At some point he got so sick of his wife murdering the engine in her 356, he pulled a cask of amontillado on the damn thing. The car, not the wife, although I'm certain the thought crossed his mind. Walled it up in the garage, never to be looked at again.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts