Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what is a suitable grease to use for CCW in a PP, PPK, PPK\S? I have been experimenting a bit as my new holster should arrive in 2 or 3 weeks, but I'm interested in other's experiences as to what works. Thanks in advance.

Benny

·
Registered
740 Posts
Don't necessarily recommend my mix, which I lovingly refer to as 'Jehzsa's Stink' but here it is anyway.

Mix one bottle of Ballistol, one bottle of RemOil, one bottle of FP-10 and one bottle of Strikehold together in an open, windy area. Winds in excess of 15 mph work better for your lungs.

Cleans, lubricates and protects like nothing else. Remove plastic Walther grips before use. It is also a great broncho-dilator and skin graft remover. Watch it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but that sounds like a little too much work for me. My PP runs best when it is "really" lubricated. Otherwise, the seemingly dirty .32 ACP makes a mess of the internals quickly and that leads to failure to feed problems. As long as I keep it well oiled it functions fine. So far, Blue Wonder Disotec XFR is the best, but that probably isn't desirable for holster carry. I've tried Shooter's Choice grease, and a coulpe of others, but none give the same performance level as Blue Wonder.

I'm thinking about Gun Butter in a PPK .380. Any thoughts, experience? Thanks.

Benny

·
Registered
178 Posts
What?? 'Jehzsa's Stink'
Sounds Like your partial to Grease BennyMA
First Off your Not Gonna Find any one lube that will be your Specified Walther Only Sauce..
I am currently Using Mill Com TW-25B on my Walther PPK/S as it's realy great on Stainless Steel, Tetra is also very similar, It's a white lithium based lube.. I found out about TW-25B as SIG Sauer uses it exclusivly on thier Firearms..
But the barrel & recoil spring on my PPK/S gets a thick gun oil, Either FP-10 or Breakfree CLP
I bet I have 15 different Oils & Greases in my Gun Gear Stash
Beretta Olio, Rem Oil, Rems Dry Lube, TW-25B, Tetra, GunSlick, Militec-1, Militec Grease, FP-10, Breakfree CLP, Hoppes Oil, & Graphite Powder, They all have thier Uses..
Use what works best for you, Just as jehzsa does..
I recomend either the Tetra or TW-25B for the stainless as it keeps the metal from galling & stays were you put it..
I have been also coating all my carry pieces with the Militec-1 metal conditioner & then baking them in the oven at 170 degrees applying three times then cooling then wiping dry, This realy makes em slick, Then apply your other lubes as normal.
I use Rem-Oil on my Blued Guns as it makes em Shine..
Alot of my Shooting Buddies use Mobil-1 synthetic engine oil, some even use synthetic wheel bearing grease, This stuff is Stinky but it works great..These Guys are Mechanics,Also note that the Militec grease also stinks like Gear Oil Too, Very Smelly!!
Mixing some lubes together can just make a useless messy paste, I can't comment on 'Jehzsa's Stink' But it sounds like He's very fond of it!! & It's made of Quality Components..
I believe what you'll find is if you lube it with whatever you've been using you'll be fine, Just don't shoot it Dry!
I've also been reading about Ezoxx & Gun Butter but have never tried em YET!
Maybe we'll start another thread about "Gun Cleaners", That's a whole different Topic!! I use Hoppes #9...
B92 Another Very Slippery Character

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the food for thought and info. It helps to get other's opinions; so much advertising and so many products to choose from.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Militec-1. I field-strip the pistol, including grips and clean throughly with a degreaser.

Then I dry the pistol and warm it with a hair dryer or in the oven at 170. Then I apply Militec and wipe off excess.

I have tried everything but think Rem-Oil is a bit thin and EEZOX has an odor I cannot tolerate.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I quit using Rem Oil now that I have found out there is actually water in it (I think it was discussed in detail on Glocktalk).

I just use breakfree CLP for it all - unless U have a lot of fouling, U can use it to clean and lube. Someone there also posted some tests against corrosion in the past 7 days as well. Breakfree CLP was tied w/ 1 other product (I forget what it was called) as the best at stopping rust (the test was placing metal pieces coated in various lubes into salt water for a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you guys prefer grease?

I'm a newbie when it comes to pistols, and still a shotgun guy at heart. In the better shotgun world, there is a movement away from using any kind of grease on the gun, because of the fear of accumulating abrasive debris. Even 100 year old hingepins get coated with Breakfree, and that's about it.

Oh well, who knows.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question, TCN. I read that grease is better for CCW becaust it "stays put", won't run out of the gun and into the holster. I've always used oil before a range session, but since I plan to get my CCW this year, it might be time to consider other options. I'm thinking that if I were to do a quick oil application on a PP or a PPK before carrying it (daily if needed, it's easy enough to do), that would be ok to carry for 8 or 10 hours. Will it run out and leave oil stains in the holster? Hope not, I'll experiment a bit first by oiling the gun and letting it stand for 10 hours and see if the oil runs out. Will the holster wick the oil out? I don't know, no experience to fall back on, but I doubt that grease will wick out. Jeeze, I hate to make it so complicated.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not complicated. Actually, good thread.

Oil will run, BennyMA. Nothing can be done about it. Just me, but a daily dose of oil seems like overkill. Without firing it, 'Jehzsa's Stink' will remain in the gun around three/four weeks. Of course, ymmv. But I carry daily. It's pretty thick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Believe it or not I have tried them all. Really had a problem with the lubrication on one of my guns and I contracted the manufacturer. They recommended a synthetic motor oil like Amsol or Mobil-1 in the 0W weight. Got a quart (which will last a life time) at Wally World for like $5 and have been most heppy. It won't cook off, it does not dry out, and will not gum up like some of that other crapola does after a few hundred rounds.

I threw everything else out, except Tetra Lube - that white Lithium Grease which is needed on my Granads and M1A. Never looked back.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I think anything without PTFE would be a good choice. Hell, they can't sell PTFE non stick pans starting 1/1/2015. That crap is bad for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like a lite grease which doesn't disppear like many of the oils do. I have been using Dupont Kytox for the last 20 years. First developed for the space program, I used it working on race cars for the big 3 (Indy, F1, NASCAR). A little bit rubbed in does the job. And it doesn't stain clothes. I still use CLP for the inner works, like hammer and trigger pivot points. Some day I may try Mobil 1, but I have no problems with what I currently use.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
Not a fan of grease on autos; maybe a dab of Tetra-grease on the sear; oil on everything else. Agree with the notion of grease trapping debris, and I clean away all traces and renew periodically.
I prefer oil, and generally just steal some that would otherwise end up in the sump of her ladyship's panzer (0-40 synthetic). It stays on metal and lubes quite well; see what Flame Red says.
Another thing to think about with carry guns is delinting them on a regular basis (the crud they accumulate when carried is amazing), and that is a good chance to give everything a modest coat of oil.
With no disrespect to jehzsa, I'd be a little cautious about mixing a bunch of lubes. Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it turns to sludge or shellac; without lots of testing over time, it's hard to say what the outcome may be.
Moon

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I like a lite grease which doesn't disppear like many of the oils do. I have been using Dupont Kytox for the last 20 years. First developed for the space program, I used it working on race cars for the big 3 (Indy, F1, NASCAR). A little bit rubbed in does the job. And it doesn't stain clothes. I still use CLP for the inner works, like hammer and trigger pivot points. Some day I may try Mobil 1, but I have no problems with what I currently use.
Just curious, what F1 teams did you work for? What about Indy? I have a friend who is with Pratt & Miller & another one who was with Penski from 1979 thru 1998.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
. I'm thinking that if I were to do a quick oil application on a PP or a PPK before carrying it (daily if needed, it's easy enough to do), that would be ok to carry for 8 or 10 hours. Will it run out and leave oil stains in the holster? Hope not, I'll experiment a bit first by oiling the gun and letting it stand for 10 hours and see if the oil runs out. Will the holster wick the oil out? I don't know, no experience to fall back on, but I doubt that grease will wick out. Jeeze, I hate to make it so complicated.
Synthetic oil doesn't evaporate or run off, and it need not be applied by the bucketful. My carry gun gets a field stripped, delinted and oiled every couple weeks, and the lint is the larger issue. The gun is still lubed when I take it down. Use a needle oiler to restrain the 'more is better' impulse.
Some guns (Glocks) like to be virtually dry, but the Walther is a 'wetter' gun. For all that, it shouldn't dry out with good oil, and the more slide manipulations the more chance of an ND. Load it, carry it, and secure it in the house if need be.
Moon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts