Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a newbie question here . . . what solvents do you guys favor for cleaning your P99's and P99C's?

I have been using a CLP that I have on hand and use on my shotguns for usual cleaning and lubrication. The Walther manual recommends a tougher solvent (as do many modern shotgun manuals); however, I limit the use of powder solvents on my shotguns to a once per year thorough cleaning, since I find that the CLP handles most of the fouling, can I take a similar stance on cleaning my P99c, or are the deposits a bit tougher?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i use a powder solvent almost everytime i clean my firearms. the true enemy is 'scrubbing' to get your weapons clean. i also use a copper solvent in the barrel, but much less frequently.

no solvent specifically designed for firearms will hurt the bore and chamber. finishes and plastics are a different story.

if you stay on top of things (i.e. clean after each use), it should never get bad enough to require powerful solvents to clean things up.

i shoot my carry pistol in an indoor pistol match every week and 'clean' it afterwards every time. this mostly involves a good wipe down with oil and a sweep of hoppes #9 down the bore/chamber.

if you use CLP after each use, you should be fine. i personally don't like the smell of CLP, so i use hoppes and gun oil. i would wear hoppes #9 as a cologne if i could

frye

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fryeg7 @ Jan. 13 2006,16:16)]i use a powder solvent almost everytime i clean my firearms.  the true enemy is 'scrubbing' to get your weapons clean.  i also use a copper solvent in the barrel, but much less frequently.

no solvent specifically designed for firearms will hurt the bore and chamber.  finishes and plastics are a different story.

if you stay on top of things (i.e. clean after each use), it should never get bad enough to require powerful solvents to clean things up.

i shoot my carry pistol in an indoor pistol match every week and 'clean' it afterwards every time.  this mostly involves a good wipe down with oil and a sweep of hoppes #9 down the bore/chamber.  

if you use CLP after each use, you should be fine.  i personally don't like the smell of  CLP, so i use hoppes and gun oil.  i would wear hoppes #9 as a cologne if i could

frye

Thanks, I agree with you on the CLP smell issue, and the pleasant, nostalgic fragrnce of Hoppes 9.

·
Registered
83 Posts
one more thing i just thought of that may help you out.

you don't have to 'see' the gun oil for it to be there and do it's job. on P99 or other modern non-corroding pistol, only oil the surfaces that contact other surfaces and then wipe it clean, preferably with a slightly oily patch or rag. even if it looks like there is no oil left on the part, it is still there and that is all you need.

anymore and you will just be collecting extra dirt with your extra oil, which will eventually lead to increased wear and stoppages due to build-up.

on modern firearms with polymer and other non-corrosive finishes, that invisilble layer of oil isn't to awfully important on non-moving parts, but on older weapons, especially ones that are 'blued', that thin layer of oil is important to prevent corrosion and maintain the finish.

gun oil by itself is a very good, safe cleaner, but to much is just as bad as too little, if not worse.

just my $.02.

frye

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bullfrogs gunwipes work great too. I have a pristine P.38 and noticed a small amount of rust starting to build up on it and those wipes literally wiped the rust right off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts