Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post this up, as I searched the forum a bit and didn't find any other threads on these sights. I purchased these sights from Earl at ERS. They were shipped out immediately, and I'm impressed and very satisfied with the quality of this unit. They are part #2655900 on his website. First off, let me state that my particular gun is a SW99 .40cal AS trigger model. I hope you guys will take pity on me for not owning the "real" thing! ;) j/k I am a diehard Walther fan though and do hope to purchase a ppk, another P99, and maybe a P5 before too long.

Anyways, installation was simple and straightforward. I have to hand it to Walther as changing the rear sights on these guns is so easy! I've been doing some research lately about our other aftermarket sight options. It seems with the Trijicons and Mepros that some slight filing is necessary to acheive a perfect fit with the rear sight. Well, these LPA sights fit perfectly with absolutely no modification, so that's a big plus! Other than that, the sights are obviously windage and elevation adjustable. I plan on going to the range in the next day or 2 to test the sight out, and I'll update you guys on the results, which hopefully will be favorable. Here's several pics of the sight. Please excuse the crappy quality as my old Kodak digi-cam was all I had laying around ;) :

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Now that is one rear sight! You will have to tell us what you think of them...I assume you will be doing some bench shooting with that Smith? The P99, for a defensive pistol, is one accurate shooter. I would be interested to see how much your sight can improve its accuracy.....let us know.:)

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Thanks for the pics and posting about the sight.....
the sight has been mentioned here and there but never has abybody before reported about using it....
please do let us know how it works for you.... and also maybe a small writeup about installation of these sights would be nice...... :eek:

thanks again

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, I'll definitely get some more pics and a bit more details on installation. I'm headed to the range in a little bit, though I'm an amateur when it comes to handguns so please bear with me. ;) I do plan on using the bench rest to see what kind of groupings I can get at longer ranges. What ranges would you guys suggest? I've normally only shot at 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards with handguns. Tried a few shots at ~25 yards a few weekends ago from a bench rest and was pretty far off mark with the stock sights. ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've normally only shot at 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards with handguns.
If you are only going to shoot at close ranges, you could have saved yourself some money...the accuracy of your stock sights would have been good enough...but the sights you got are target sights...so you need to try them at 15 yds and a beyond for any real benefit....just remember the P99 is a police/combat defense pistol. It was not designed to be a tack driving paper puncher...so even with a special sight you results may vary....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Very nice - I have never seen that site for the P99 before.

I do not see a screw like the standard sight (on the side) - how does it attach to the slide?

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Ship.....
I think it is like a "drift adjustable" sight.....
Walther does sell besides this LPA another steel sight that is only drift adjustable, but it is like the regular combat style rear sight

·
Registered
45 Posts
The set screw is right in the center & tightened from the top, it's visible in the last picture. I had this on my P99 until recently when I replaced it with a set of mepros.

It was an excellent sight, very easy to install and adjust. The only downside I found was during malfunction drills. It is a little sharp & I had my share of cuts on my hand over the last few years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As CDkayak mentioned, the sight is affixed with a hex screw after sliding the sight into the dovetail. I went to the range yesterday and put another 200 rounds through the gun using cheap range ammo. ;) The only thing I noticed is initially, after the first 100 rounds or so the hex screw backed off just a bit so the sight became just a little loose. I put a bit more force into the hex wrench this time and no hint of coming loose after the last 100 rounds. I wonder if maybe a bit of loctite or some other similar substance might be a good idea? Being an amateur, I'm not really sure that I did too well of any sort of test but, I was able to do some ~2-2.5" groups at 25 yards from a rifle bench rest. I'm not too sure if that's necessarily "good" or not. Though the sight does seem to remain pretty consistent and the windage/elevation adjustments seem to work spot on with the instructions. Had I been using better ammo, I think the shots would have been quite a bit more consistent as it seemed like every 3 or 4 shots there would be a flier. I'm still really impressed with the gun. In the past month or so that I've had it, I put 800 rounds through it and have not had a single FTF or FTE, even with cheap ammo.

As far as the ammo goes. I can't remember what the range ammo was but, it was 165gr and a white and blue box. I seem to remember the name starting with a W, however I know it wasn't Winchester. You know, come to think of it, I think the first time I went to the range I might have been using 180gr? What would you guys recommend for a .40s&w? FMJ's are all I'd really want to use as I'm not looking for the ultimate in self defense or anything.

Jake Starr, I completely realize that a target sight at 15 yards or below is a bit unnecessary. ;) I tried a few shots at 15-25 yards with the stock sights and it just seemed a bit tough to me to acquire the target with the stock sights. Maybe I'm just a whiner but, the way that the front sight doesn't "fill" the rear sight completely (with a few millimeters of free space on either side) just doesn't seem to "work" for me too well, though I completely realize that's a result of my own novice skills. I really just prefer the sight picture that this target sight provides. I'll try to get some higher quality pics of the sight a bit later this week as I'm out of town with business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts