Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an sw99 40cal. Today i got a phone call from my ffl who i had the gun shipped to. He told me that my background check went through ok and i can pick up the gun next thursday. I live in WA and i read on www.bradycampaign.org that there's a five day wait, but if the background check comes back sooner then the gun can be given to the buyer regardless if you've waited the full 5 days. If anyone can tell me if i have to wait even though ive already been given the ok by sheriff let me know. Also I am looking for a laser sight for my sw99. I have found a couple on ebay for cheap and looked through numerous websites too. I want something thats cheap, under or around 100 dollars but also looks sharp. As far as holsters go the com-tac website seems to have some pretty nice and decent priced holsters. However i'm left handed, probably would like an IWB, and wouldnt mind finding a holster that can fit accessories like a laser on the rail. What are the best priced holsters that are high quality? And if anyone knows where SW99 holsters that are made with accessory room are sold thatd be great! I only have 1 10rnd mag included with my purchase. How many mags do most of you guys travel with and how many is practical for shooting, carrying? Know thats a lot of questions, look forward to responses!
Dylan

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well I have to dash your hopes but for under $100 for a laser I'm not sure you're going to get quality. Laser devices is probably the big "quality" name for a laser manufacturer for the sw99. Alot of the cheap stuff you'll find on ebay is going to fall apart if use for anything other than airsoft.

With holsters, comptac is probably going to be a good bet on a budget. Call them and see what they can accomidate for accessories, if any with their holster designs. Really though don't get too caught up on feeling like you need to strap a laser to your pistol for carrying. If you're a new shooter I'd say don't even buy a laser but to wait and see if you still want it a year from now. Don't forget a real gun belt is very very important to being able to carry a firearm well.

As far as mags...realistically I think 1 is all we need for self defense (i'd buy a couple 12 round mags if I were you). I like the idea of carrying a spare just in case the first magazine fails. For shooting I really only use 2, and thats just so I can practice reloading. Some guys never want to load a magazine at the ranger, personally my arms like the break in shooting. If you like the gun and shoot it well, go wild on the mags later, but don't worry about buying a dozen of them right off the bat.

Spend most of your money on ammo to learn to shoot the gun well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I found a laser device thats supposed to fit the sw99 and runs about 130.00. At that price perhaps it would be reliable and a bit more durable then the cheapies on ebay. Spending 300 plus in a laser/light accessory is just too much for me. I like shooting with and w/o the laser and just think their neat to have sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have 7 mags for each my P99 and P99c......
AS far as I know Earl is the only one that has a holster for the P99 that will allow you to holster with laser attached....
but I have been wrong before....

link to Earl's holster site

this is a great link too
though I think some holsters are missing... but best site to look for holsters that I have ever found

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Since no one from WA answered your question about waiting period, all I can do is tell you that in Illinois the waiting period does not begin until your ffl recieves the pistol. Because an ffl transfer is treated as if you are purchasing from the ffl in your state, when he logs it in, it is now available for sale and he runs the background check at that time. I suppose if you can get the serial number and your ffl will log it in before he receives it, you may be able to push your possession time up. Logically, you began your waiting period when you bought it and shipping takes longer than the waiting period. I don't think The BATF cosnisered individuals buying out of state when they made all their rules and state rules and the Brady(crime) bill didn't help make things simpler. Fortunately Illinois already had a 3 day waiting period in place which superceded the Brady(bull sh!t) Bill. Basically, your ffl's ass is in the ringer is he screws up, what ever he says is what you need to do on waiting. And ffl's don't always know the law as well as they should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This wait they impose is absolutly ridiculous when your ordering a firearm from out of state. I do know that my FFL said if i had my CWP i wouldnt have to wait a single day because background check has already been done. Well why should i have to wait a single day more if my background check has already been done without the cwp and FFL has been given the ok. Its been atleast three weeks since i actually paid for the gun i purchased, i think thats long enough of a wait IMO.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dylan99 @ Dec. 03 2006,1:51)]This wait they impose is absolutly ridiculous when your ordering a firearm from out of state. I do know that my FFL said if i had my CWP i wouldnt have to wait a single day because background check has already been done. Well why should i have to wait a single day more if my background check has already been done without the cwp and FFL has been given the ok. Its been atleast three weeks since i actually paid for the gun i purchased, i think thats long enough of a wait IMO.
Yes, unfortunately there are alot of forces out there constantly trying to impede legal ownership of guns. All the little guys like us can do is play the game.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Holster - Try Fist for a holster. They have many varieties and when I had called about a Kahr TP9 (not listed on their website) they said they'd fit one for me. I know if you send them whatever it is you have they will custom fit a holster for you.

Holster - Try these guys as well...they make holster for other guns with attachments.
http://www.sidearmor.com/cart...._1.html

Mags - Buy High-caps. If there is ever another gun ban in the future you might not get a chance to buy them again. I shoot IDPA and USPSA and I used 3 mags for IDPA (regulation) and 5 mags for USPSA. What I did was use the two factory OEM mags (16rnd) for CCW and bought 4 Promags (13rnd) online for like $25 each to save some cash and they worked fine for my 9mm.

I generally CCW with one mag in the gun but some people carry one extra mag on their belt or in their pocket. I have never read documentation of any self-defense case where somebody actually reloaded under fire. Having extra mags is great for many reasons but carrying a gun with a normal mag (I mean highcap) is enough IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now is my SW99 considered first gen in design? It seems a lot harder to find hi capacity mags for my .40cal then the 9mm. Is their a site(s) anyone knows of that has any for sale? Also considering shipping costs, do most of you buy your bullets at a local gun shop, or even with shipping is it still cheaper to go online? There seems to be an awful lot of choices when it comes to holsters. I wish i could try some of these on before commiting to purchase one. Thanks for all the good info, much appreciated! One more thing, where's a slick looking lock box i could pick up for a decent price for my home storage?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dylan99 @ Dec. 04 2006,10:58)]It seems a lot harder to find hi capacity mags for my .40cal then the 9mm. Is their a site(s) anyone knows of that has any for sale?
You'll find some new S&W factory 12 round mags here: CDNN Sports

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dylan99 @ Dec. 04 2006,10:58)]Also considering shipping costs, do most of you buy your bullets at a local gun shop, or even with shipping is it still cheaper to go online?
Ammo costs are currently going up across the board because the raw material costs are increasing. With ammo you should shop around because while X company or store may have a great price on one thing someone else may have a better price on a different item. -Unfortunately some gun shops jack up the prices of their ammo. So far, it's been cheaper (in most cases) for me to buy my ammo online and have it shipped than to buy at local shops. That is excluding WalMart. (I won't shop there because they ruin local economies by destroying small businesses and sucking money out of the area.)

If you're looking for online purchases you can find some good deals (depending on the item) at Ammoman, Cheaper than Dirt, and Sportsman's Guide. On CTD and SG it pays to be in their buyer's club if you're buying a lot of ammo. Watch out for their shipping charges though. Ammoman includes the price of shipping in his price. I can't remember if Bass Pro ships ammo, but if you go into their stores, they have some good prices (again depending on the item) because they buy ammo in large quantities.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dylan99 @ Dec. 04 2006,10:58)]There seems to be an awful lot of choices when it comes to holsters. I wish i could try some of these on before commiting to purchase one.
There are quite a few choices. The first thing to do is figure out what you want out of the holster. Is this a range carry holster? A CCW holster? A driver's holster? Once that is selected, you can start checking features off i.e. thumb break or no thumb break, made out of leather, made out of Kydex, etc. After you decide on something you think might work, start asking questions about it. Be prepared for comments on both sides and to sort the useful info from the useless info. If you have friends with pistols and holsters, try some of theirs so you can see if a particular holster is delivering what you want. Also remember you need a good rigid belt to work with the holster.

·
Registered
160 Posts
www.natchezss.com

I have bought my ammo in 1-2K lots and i comes out definitively cheaper per round than driving everytime to a gun shop to buy ammo in individual boxes.

If you are really stingy you can wait for the sales.  I bought 9mm for $4.59/box 50 rnds about a year ago because I bought in bulk.  The regular non-bulk price would have been $4.99/box (must add shipping)

Yes, prices have gone up and I am not familiar with 40 cal ammo but natchezss has worked well for me and its easier to buy from them as they don't require your drivers license to be faxed to them etc like on other sites.  This may have changed and I do live in the Gunshine state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much blowback does the SW99 40CAL have? I am looking at a laserlyte QD that sells on their page for about 150.00. I also see NCstar laser sights for much cheaper that claim to be made for firearms, not just airguns. I cant see anything that would make me think the laserlyte is a sturdier devide then the NCstar. Are either of these viable choices, or would the blowback from my gun make these pretty much unusable?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts