Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I hate to make a first post with what's probably a stupid question, but I just picked up a new P99 AS about a week ago, and figured this forum would be a good place to ask...

As of now, I've only had the chance to put a couple of hundred rounds through it at the range, and while cleaning it the last time, I noticed the slide seemed somewhat loose. It's fine when loaded, but when empty the slide can move side-to-side on the rear rail by maybe a quarter of a millimeter. It's barely enough to feel, so I don't even know whether or not it did this from the beginning.

This is my first handgun (hence why this could be a dumb question), but I have fired a a few guns in the past. As such, I know things loosen up a bit after being broken in. It's just a bit disconcerting that it's like this fresh out of the box. So, yea, was anyone else's like this? Or am I just being too picky after spending so much money on it?

Oh, and, if anyone wants to see it, you can find a pic right here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also have a 2005 P99AS, and the slide does indeed move the slightest little bit left to right. I mean VERY slight though. If I really jiggle it back and forth hard you can hear it a bit.

I assume this is completely normal. I have yet to see any problem with this. I still shoot ridiculously accurate with this gun

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is completely normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, well, it's a relief that this is normal. Thank you all for the feedback.

But, yea, the movement is very minor, and the gun shoots better than me, so it couldn't have been too bad either way. Just before getting it, I had been shooting someone else's new P22 a bit. Their slide is tighter, which was the cause of my worry. But with less recoil and heat, it can proabably afford to be tighter without expansion and such affecting it.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Yes, normal - mine is like that too - Once the mag is in, it doesn't move.

Most service guns have some play - What U don't want is play in the barrel when the slide is closed. Some motion in the slide usually doesn't do anything to affect accuracy.

It's all these custom 1911s on the market that has everyone paranoid about any slide play.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I got my latest P99 .40 I posted here with the same concerns. It was extremely accurate despite the loose fit. I had it hard chromed and have put a couple thousand rounds through it since. Now it's looser and rattles louder. It's still extremely accurate and has never had a failure of any kind. A full mag doesn't make much difference. My friends are always suprised how loud it is when I shake it. I've never heard any pistol rattle so much. If I ever have to draw down on a bad guy he'll be able to tell if I'm nervous.
Hopefully It'll never be a problem. If it is I'll just get another one. Good on ya.

·
Registered
83 Posts
slide-to-barrel play is much more important than slide-to-frame play for accruacy (your sights are on the slide, the barrel spits out the bullet, consistency is good). like others have said, if it's too tight, you're going to have problems with function/reliability.

with a loaded chamber, your slide and barrel should have very little, but some 'play'. the slide and frame should be reasonbly tight, but should have some play as well, probably more than the slide and barrel.

even if your pistol rattles or moves about a bit, it's probably still more accurate than you are

frye

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The barrel fits the slide nicely here.

My second choice, had there been no P99 to be found, was going to be a Springfield XD. The range rental I tested had some minor play as well. But in my just-spent-a-week's-pay neurosis, I attributed that to it being broken in. Well, that, and, again, the tight new P22.

And on that note, I'm just glad I held out for the P99. While very nice, the XD's grip kind of feels like holding an over-sized lego block by comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts