Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am looking to buy a .40 and was looking at the XD but am now more interested in the SW99 for $439 because cost is a real issue. Is this a good deal? i would rather buy a P99 but it is more expensive. What is the cheapist i can get one for? thank you for your help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well you'll have to do some searching at the various internet retailers. Check http://www.ak-47man.com for example. I think the XD is generally cheaper than the SW99 but it will be close. So close in fact that you should buy the gun you really want instead of saving $10. If you're really short on cash the 40 isn't the right caliber to get anyway. Get a 9mm instead. Saves you anywhere from 10% and up in ammo cost. Over a few years that adds up.

I looked at the XD as well but after reading reports on how the finish gets banged up real quickly and how well the P99 keeps it wasn't a difficult choice to spend $80 more. Plus I like the decocker on the P99. I'm sure the Croats do a decent job but you know Germans are first rate engineers so the Walther is probably a more refined gun. The XD isn't bad of course and neither is the SW99 although it is a cheaper version of the P99.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jdog,  
 If cost is a huge issue to you, wait arround for a gun show. They always have great prices on the last day. Look into one. You can typically get a p99 (used but in great condition) at an easy 400 or less. Just figure out what you really want and look for a way to make it affordable is my opinion.
Wagemage

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can apreciate cash being a real issue but recommend that you buy what you want and don't worry about the cash so much. If you don't you'll kick yourself later. I find that in those few instances where I settle because of cash constraints, I kept looking at what I want while kept not wanting what I have more and more.

If you don't have the funds, I say wait and save up until you do then get what you really want.

In the long scheme of things, your cost in ammo (9 or 40 or 357 or 45... you get the idea) will out do the cost of the gun in the first place.

Check out CDNN at (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html) and get their latest catalog. I think they have good prices on P99 right now.

Lastly, take my advice with a grain of salt. I mean I do settle when it is really NOT feasable not to. I mean I drive a Ford even though I dream of the Porsche.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey yhea thanks you guys for the advice and experience. I really like the .40 and already have a Smith sigma series in 9mm so i will stick with .40 but i will look as the sites you suggested and see if they have better prices. After buying my G22 and scope a month a go my gun budget is getting a lil tight but I would like to buy it before Kerry may change things. (if he gets into office) Thank you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts