Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this site and learning alot from all your posts. I am interested in buying a P99, but want a little intel on which to go with...the AS or QA. So far I'm leaning toward the QA but I would like to hear the pros and cons of each from people that own them. I would appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks !!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well if you like a Glock style trigger with a heavy trigger pull the QA is your best bet...but you will find that most here on this forum like the AS model. The traditional style DA/SA is what makes the P99 with a striker unique. It is a great range gun and for CCW...I have 3, all in AS and I would want it any other way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well if you like a Glock style trigger with a heavy trigger pull the QA is your best bet...but you will find that most here on this forum like the AS model. The traditional style DA/SA is what makes the P99 with a striker unique. It is a great range gun and for CCW...I have 3, all in AS and I would want it any other way.
The AS has a lighter pull and double strike capability. It can also give you a consistent trigger if you just chamber a round, pull the trigger to the SA position and don't decock. However, most folks here carry with a chambered round and decocked, which gives you an 8lb first pull and 4.6 lb from then on.

I much prefer the AS.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you go german go AS thats pretty much the main stay of everyone but Glock. Almost everyone German HK SIG primarily sells DA/SA triggers, but have branched to others for american Law Enforcement BS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the info. I would much rather have that lighter trigger pull that the AS has. So now all I gotta do is find one ! I've been keeping my eyes open for either model but seems to be a pretty rare find lately. Whats your take on the Desert Sand or OD colors? I have not seen either one in person and dont want to order one of those until I see it right in front of me to see if I like it...pictures can be deceiving.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Black is most popular
OD is next
Desert Sand is in last place...I've seen all and I own 3 in black...but I am different than some others, I like the Desert Sand...I guess European/middle East sand is different than what is common here in the US since many don't like the color. But either way there isn't much sand of any type here in KY...:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
You've already made the right choice in considering the P99. Trigger preference is really a personal thing with the only right answer is the one the works for you. In balance, I happen to like the QA trigger better than the AS. Here's my rationale:

AS is like DA/SA with one exception. On reload, the trigger is SA weight with a longer DA pull (AS or anti-stress). Thus, there are really 3 trigger modes with the AS P99:

DA that only occurs with the first shot (if you carry decocked)
SA for the majority of shots (probably one of the best SA triggers)
and AS for 1 out of every 15 shots

The strength of the QA is that there is only one trigger mode, with a short reset to allow for fast followup shots.

I am a strong believer that the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat. And the purpose of training is to create muscle memory so that you react, instead of contemplation then reaction. So what is the faster path to having muscle memory, training for a single trigger mode or training for 3 trigger modes? I regularly shoot 2-3 inch groups firing in strings at 25 yards on my QA (accuracy is where the P99 really shines.

Once again, I'm talking about personal preference. There is no absolute answer. Just what works for you. The best thing you can do is borrow AS and QA P99s and compare for yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you go german go AS thats pretty much the main stay of everyone but Glock. Almost everyone German HK SIG primarily sells DA/SA triggers, but have branched to others for american Law Enforcement BS.
I beg to differ. Firstly european gun control laws are more strict than the US. All German guns are designed for military and LE markets. Consumers are just 'privileged' to be able to get our paws on these guns. :

HK: LEM - Law Enforcement Modification (precocked with short trigger pull... more like Walther QA than glock) trigger is the direction for HK since its introduction on the USP. It is the only trigger available for the P2000 and will be the trigger for the P30. LEM still uses a hammer. In their own words: The enhanced LEM trigger system combines the reliability of a double-action revolver trigger with the crisp, precise trigger of a single-action pistol.

SIG: DAK - Double Action Kellerman (light pull DAO) trigger is the only option on their SAS (SIG anti-snag) carry pistols that is targeted at CCW markets. Also hammer fired.

Steyr: M and S series pistols only come with a precocked, short pull DAO trigger. Striker fired.

Glock: Glock safe action (precocked DAO trigger). Striker fired.

Walther QA: Partially precocked trigger (DAO or does having a decocker mean SA?) In their own words, "made for military and police markets"

What can we derive from this? All German manufacturers are working hard on making DAO triggers that feel like SA triggers. Eventually this will be the only option from these manufacturers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts