Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering a new one based on the price point, availability and warranty. I haven't seen to many reviews here so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the fort smith ppk-s in stainless. Tail is a bit long and .380 is snappy. (Wish I never parted with my .32) but overall I think they’re a nice gun for the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice gun, mine was a bit finicky at first but has smoothed out. Initial tolerances were a bit too tight I think is all, works great now. Very nice build quality overall and definately looks good. Mine is in stainless with wood grips.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My wife's PPK/S has run Federal HST, Sig V-Crown, Remington HTP, Interceptor ARX, CCI Golden Bullets, and several FMJ variants, all with no problems. It hits to point of aim with each, too, and is good for consistent hits on 10" plates at 25 yards. It's a great pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the past I have owned both the Interarms and Smith & Wesson Walther PPK/S pistols in .380 ACP caliber, and neither one of them was ever close to reliable. I think my experience might have been somewhat of an exception since I have read that some folks had a good experience with those gun. I currently own two Fort Smith, Arkansas, made Walther PPK/S .380 ACP pistols, and both have been 100% reliable shooting Hornady hollow point and Speer Gold Dot ammo. I think the pistols are extremely well made and very high quality. I bought Rosewood custom grips for both pistols from the Altamont Grip company, and they are much easier to grip than the original grips because of the added width of the grips. I have owned one pistol for about 10 months and the other one for about six months. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nope. It works just fine.
Thank you! There seems to be people that are confusing the Fort Smith model, with the older S&W, and Interarms Versions. They try to discourage me from my purchase.

But from my research i've found that the Fort Smith Arkansas PPK/s has fixed the issues of the past.

Am I correct in saying this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you! There seems to be people that are confusing the Fort Smith model, with the older S&W, and Interarms Versions. They try to discourage me from my purchase.

But from my research i've found that the Fort Smith Arkansas PPK/s has fixed the issues of the past.

My experience with the Ft. Smith version has been overwhelmingly positive. It runs all manner of hollow point ammo reliably, and it is extremely accurate.

·
Registered
710 Posts

First, I don't own a Ft. Smith PPK/S. I only know what I read. The folks discouraging your purchase of the pistol appear to base their discouragement not from experience with the pistol and it's functionality. Their dislike seems to arise more from from the fact that the Ft. Smith variant is more similar to the S&W variant as opposed to the original design. The altered beaver tail or grip tang seems to be the largest distractor.
I own a 1952 Manurhin PP ( 7.65 ) and like the pistol. I did own a stainless S&W PPK/S ( 7.65 ) and liked it as well. In fact I rue the day I sold it.
If Ft. Smith made a PPK/S in 7.65 I would be all over it.
Good luck with your decision.
DD

Reactions: Think1st

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Consensus seems to be that current Ft. Smith production works, and seems more tolerant of hollow points than past examples.
The beavertail continues to get its share of flak; current wood grips lessen its appearance.
Constant caveat; there are locked breech .380s that are more pleasant to shoot.
Moon

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own three .380 PPK pistols but not a Fort Smith variant. However, I've handled and shot the Fort Smith stainless steel variant and it might be the very best machined PPK variant pistol I've seen. Some think it has sharp edges, but it seemed fine to me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My wife's PPK/S has run Federal HST, Sig V-Crown, Remington HTP, Interceptor ARX, CCI Golden Bullets, and several FMJ variants, all with no problems. It hits to point of aim with each, too, and is good for consistent hits on 10" plates at 25 yards. It's a great pistol.

Color me confused....what do you mean by CCI Golden Bullets?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Color me confused....what do you mean by CCI Golden Bullets?
It's called a substitution error in psychology. The memory of one thing takes the place of the proper item in your memory. CCI Min-Mags and Remington Golden Bullets are great in my P22, and those two items appeared combined in my mental list as I was typing a partial list of what has run successfully in our PPK/S.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It's called a substitution error in psychology. The memory of one thing takes the place of the proper item in your memory. CCI Min-Mags and Remington Golden Bullets are great in my P22, and those two items appeared combined in my mental list as I was typing a partial list of what has run successfully in our PPK/S.

I see...kinda like Jack Bud Daniels.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I own three .380 PPK pistols but not a Fort Smith variant. However, I've handled and shot the Fort Smith stainless steel variant and it might be the very best machined PPK variant pistol I've seen. Some think it has sharp edges, but it seemed fine to me.
I have the melonited version of the Fort Smith PPK.

It's a good shooter with a smooth (but heavy) DA pull and a very nice SA pull.

Sights are minimalistic but effective.

There are some sharp edges on mine, most annoyingly on the elongated tang.

For me, it makes shooting the thing an exercise in home medical care as it will cut me up if I shoot more than a few mags through it.

They might of corrected that on later production runs. I am not sure.

I would pay attention to that if I were buying a new one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the melonited version of the Fort Smith PPK.

It's a good shooter with a smooth (but heavy) DA pull and a very nice SA pull.

Sights are minimalistic but effective.

There are some sharp edges on mine, most annoyingly on the elongated tang.

For me, it makes shooting the thing an exercise in home medical care as it will cut me up if I shoot more than a few mags through it.

They might of corrected that on later production runs. I am not sure.

I would pay attention to that if I were buying a new one.
So in other words, you're saying that the horrendously ugly deformation of the pistol's tang (beavertail), did not cure the slide bite issue some seem to have had? Or is this just a continued issue for you?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
So in other words, you're saying that the horrendously ugly deformation of the pistol's tang (beavertail), did not cure the slide bite issue some seem to have had? Or is this just a continued issue for you?
They cured the slide bite issue, but at least on my sample they created a new issue...beavertail bite.

I think the beaver tail design they are using is not ideal from both a functional and aesthetic standpoint.

They could have done a better or job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts