Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all.

I was at my local gun shop today. They have a P 38 on the shelf on consignment for $2000. The owner/gunsmith and I looked over the gun and inspected the markings in detail.

I can tell you that it is a Mauser produced gun, serial number 5409Y. All of the serial numbers match. They have what at least appears to be an original holster, 2 mags and what I’m assuming is seven rounds of original German ammunition. The bluing looks good, The only damage is at the front of the slide, clearly from holster wear.

I inspected the barrel and the gun looks like it has had minimal use, if any.

again, they want $2000 for it, which to me seems a little steep. I don’t have a lot of money, but a little bit that I can play with. I would be purchasing the gun more as a collector/investment then something to take to the range.

Is this worth my time at that price? If not, what would be more reasonable for me to counter offer with?

Finger Thumb Bumper Automotive exterior Metal

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Breastplate Gas Personal protective equipment Human leg Auto part

Material property High heels Human leg Natural material Fashion accessory

Grey Auto part Outdoor shoe Font Personal protective equipment
Finger Thumb Bumper Automotive exterior Metal
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Breastplate Gas Personal protective equipment Human leg Auto part
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Material property High heels Human leg Natural material Fashion accessory
Grey Auto part Outdoor shoe Font Personal protective equipment

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
This is only my $0.02, take it as that. Whether it helps you determine, that is strictly up to you.

These things were the replacement for the venerated P08 Luger, and I am guessing they were much cheaper to produce than the Luger. I had one about 10 years ago, but traded it in on something else. I paid close to $600 for it back then. But mine had mismatched parts, a little bit of finish wear, and no holster or original German ammunition. Definitely a shooter, less so than a collectors piece.

If what you say is true and these are all matching, with included holster and original ammo, I think it would be a good investment. They don’t make them anymore, so value SHOULD only go up. I cannot predict the future. It is a nice looking piece. But please keep this in mind… just for comparison’s sake.

P08’s are all over the place in price, and they seem to be the thing that are sought out more so than the P1/P38…. But they seem to be hovering right around the same value as the specimen you’ve shown us here.

Full disclosure…. And I am sure someone else will say this, too. What it is worth is what you feel it is worth. If you shell out the cash for it, then yes, at that time it is worth the $2000. If you decide “no”, then no, it is not worth the $2000, at least not to you.

Hope this helps. Nice pistol. When I had mine, I shot it often. The left hand ejection perplexed me.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
OP,

Ever since I got my original C&R license in the mail about 7 years ago, I have been on the search for a Luger. Right when I got the license, they were still attainable and ”affordable”. I am perpetually kicking myself in the backside over waiting.

But that said, I am a hobby shopper. I have a price I think something is worth, after much research. I stick to it the best I can, within reason. I search, and compare and search and compare and do my background homework. Almost to a fault. But it is he process that has served me so well for the years that I have been doing this as a hobby. My clays shotgun, my Mauser 98’s for projects, just about everything I have purchased online. My process served me well.

The values of $1500-$1800 seem much more in line with true value. $2000 did seem a little steep, as Redcat stated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s one more question for you guys:

something like this, if I was to take this to the range and put a few rounds through it, obviously assuming that no damage is done to the fire room, is that going to affect the value of the gun long-term as an investment piece?

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
if I was to take this to the range and put a few rounds through it, obviously assuming that no damage is done to the fire room, is that going to affect the value of the gun long-term as an investment piece?
Shooting it won't affect value but breaking a serialized part will.

A lot of collectors on the forums are of the opinion that these old guns are too rare and valuable to be shot. That is not my opinion. I work hard for my money. If I purchase a nice gun then it's going to the range at least occasionally.

Good luck in your search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts