Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I love my new P99 AS. It shoots great, and I qualified with it this past weekend for my concealed weapon permit. However the only thing on the entire gun that concerns me is the plastic guide rod used in the slide. Can someone give me some info on a metal rod or stainless, or titanium. I would just feel more comfortable knowing that its metal vs. plastic.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Tons of guns use plastic guiderods - I wouldn't worry about it - Glocks have them, Beretta just switched to it, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ar-for-me @ Jan. 17 2006,10:09)]here ya go
This rod you showed here. Isn't this actually intended to be a recoil reducer? I am not really looking for a recoil reducer as much as just a metal guide rod.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Shipwreck -- I agree with ! I wouldn't worry or spend any more money on something that is not needed IMHO.

The guide rod does just what it says........ it guides the spring and keeps it straight during compression. You could use a piece of cardboard, if it were the right thickness, but you wouldn't get much wear from one of those -Smile-

Spend your money on another magazine or some ammo for practice......... The guide Rod -whether it is Steel or plastic makes no difference to the strength of the gun. Note: many of these items we call "plastic" are engineered Polymers -- very strong. Take the Beretta Storm - the entire trigger assembly is made from this "plastic" Ploymer even the HAMMER on this gun. The weapon has been out for 2 years now and this trigger group seems to be doing fine. I know my Storm has about 4,000 rds fired from it--hot .40 cal rds. and the "plastic" hammer looks like the day I bought the gun---GO FIGURE. Would I prefer steel --Yep........but "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" ....

JF.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LJWebster1 @ Jan. 17 2006,11:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hoggs74 @ Jan. 17 2006,10:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ar-for-me @ Jan. 17 2006,10:09)]here ya go
This rod you showed here. Isn't this actually intended to be a recoil reducer?  I am not really looking for a recoil reducer as much as just a metal guide rod.
Looks to me like it does both.
yep, im thinking it does both too. thats the only one that anyone has ever found while looking for a metal one for the 99 in any forum i have ever read. if there is one out there besides this one, good luck and post it when you find it.

why wouldnt you want to reduce recoil anyways? added bonus in my opinion. not that it may actually reduce it. heard many opinions on that one also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts