Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P99 .40 and want to replace the plastic recoil rod with aluminum one. Are there any companies out there that make them?

I contacted the S&W customer service and they responded that they do not make them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm not aware of an aluminum guide rod. Sprinco makes a stainless steel guide rod that they market as a recoil reducer. I've had no complaints about mine over the last 2 years or so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MLB,

What significant differences have you noticed from your sprinco recoil reducer? I plan to purchase one for my P99 .40 S&W but wanted some insight from someone who already owns one before I do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Although it's marketed as a recoil reducer, I purchaced it (for about $70, way too much) entirely because I wanted a steel rod. The plastic one seemed flimsy to me. Sprinco's is finely crafted, polished stainless steel, and suits my purposes.

That being said, I didn't notice a significant reduction in felt recoil. Maybe some, but nothing dramatic. I haven't had the stock spring in for quite a while though. The recoil of the .40S&W in a polymer handgun is significant, but it never bothered me.

Summary: I like it. Quality product. Expensive. Not a dramatic reduction in recoil though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got one too

I have a sprinco in my P99 too. No problems with it at all. It seems to me to reduce recoil by some, not a lot. Sprinco guarantees the reliability of the system. My understanding is that their system mimics that of HK USP. But for a different opinion see the thread of earlier this month, I think it started with the word "Sprinco" actually, where an experienced member voiced concerns about any change in recoil creating a risk of failure, particularly in the event of "limp wristing."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Despite the price (unless i can find one cheap on ebay), I'm seriously considering the Sprinco. Not for its recoil reducing claims, but because it's metal.

Some -- including myself -- are wary of putting aftermarket accessories on their gun. Especially accessories that could effect reliability, which is paramount in a defensive handgun.

That said, it's been my experience that the plastic recoil guide rod is inherently unreliable. To be more specific it breaks in half, rendering the handgun useless.

If you'd like to see for yourself, search for my post from ~2 months ago. As part of routine maintenance, I ordered a replacement guide rod from S&W. My original guide rod was working fine, but the spring had seen it's more than it's share of use after 4 years of ownership and many trips to the range.

In short, my "new" guide rod broke (snapped in half) after only a couple of months. There's a pic of said guide rod in my post.

My P99 now has the original installed, but my confidence in either 1) the design or 2) the Q/C is very shaken.

I don't believe for a moment these PR statements about it acting as a "cooling fan" for the barrel. It's just cheaper to produce. Of course they can't say as much, but they have to put a positive spin on it.

S&W cust. service has been surprisingly responsive, but it's been a long time, and I still have not rec'd a replacement. Apparently, the expected shipment hasn't arrived from Germany.

For those that have the sprinco, how many rounds (approx.) have you put downrange? If the number is high enough and reliability 100%, I may purchase one.

And for the record, the plastic guide rod is the only "weak link" in the P99. I've owned handguns that were 99.9% reliability wise. The P99 has been 100% since day one. It's the only handgun that I'd fully entrust my own and my families life to.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've probably only put 1500 downrange since installing the Sprinco. No issues with the spring. I have a few Promags I use at the range that cause the ocassional FTF though.

Detail of the rod:

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I don't see the recoils rod being a problem......
how many P99's are out there.... how many have broken ???
That said I don't know if there is a difference in SW99 rods and P99 rods...I was thinking of getting one to see and never did......
I did see a polymer SW.... rod (not sure what auto it was) that popped appart (it did not break but one side poped off) just past sunday at a class I was taking.... the guy came back for his shooting test for the armed security lisence and never did make it since his pistol was not in working order. I offered him to take his test with my P99c but he wanted his own gun.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I should clarify; I had no real problem with the functioning of the stock spring. It just bent too much for my liking while installing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.