Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post ever! I ordered a PPQ in 9mm from grabagun.com and it should be arriving any day to my FFL now. (Sidenote - not a coincidence I ordered it before election day). Anyway, I've spent days looking for a holster and I've read both the super long PPQ Hosters? sticky and the Concise PPQ Holsters...Links to Websites sticky, so I've done as much homework as I could and couldn't settle on anything.

Here are the things I prefer:
  • OWB
  • Open Carry - I live in a state where I can walk around almost anywhere with a gun in plain sight. Sic Semper Tyrannis!
  • Range - This is where I need it the most. Just someplace to keep my gun as I walk around, go back into the store to buy more ammo, etc.
  • Not high rise - I have no intention or desire of concealing this gun. Additionally, it makes wearing sweaters or jackets easier. I also don't want to accidentally conceal this gun.
  • at least a little bit of retention so it just doesn't fall out.
  • I'm right-handed but I've learned to shoot with my left hand
  • Nightstand - You know how some Glock owners keep theirs in a holster at all times? I will feel a little more comfortable the PPQ isn't just lying there with the trigger exposed. Fumbling around in the dark and all... A nightstand holster would also save the PPQ from the occasional ding and scratch.
  • No thigh straps - I'm not going to be running around on tactical missions, crawling under barbed wire, or mud wrestling.

The best thing I with which I could come up is the "Duty Nylon Gun Holster with Lowered Carry Position" and I'll hold my opinion on it because I don't own it. There's also the Safariland line of duty holsters such as the Model 2005 "Top Gun" Level I Retention Holster, Low-Ride but that crazy level of bulk and junk seems like it would make for an awful nightstand holster.

It seems like 90% of the OWB holsters I'm looking at are high-rise, which means I can't wear a jacket. Honestly, if someone made a Hollywood-Western-style holster for the PPQ, I'd be all over that. What about the solution of having 2 holsters, one at the range or going to my knitting classes, and another one to keep on the nightstand? Though it seems building a holster collection for one gun is kinda weird.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It looks like you have done your homework. Fun, isn't it? :)
I enjoy shopping for holsters almost as much as getting a new gun. I have a PPQ on order myself. I'm stoked!

I like that second one in leather. But if you want to look for something Western style, check out these two holster makers:

El Paso Saddlery

Mernickle Holsters

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, those two holster makers make things for Colt SAA and their clones, glocks and 1911s. They are pricey enough as they are, and I doubt getting a custom one made for a PPQ is going to be anywhere affordable.

I'm just thinking, a PPQ + shipping + FFL is about $550. It would be sad to know that buying a modest handgun safe and getting a PPQ holster is going to cost as much or more than the the weapon itself.

·
Registered
696 Posts
For what you describe as your needs the Safariland that you linked to looks nice. I would be curious how much it will flop around hanging low like it does. However I don't think that is a concern of yours by the way you describe your usage of the holster.
I see it is available for a P99. Don't recall if there was a listing for PPQ.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts