Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read posts where some P-99 owners are looking to buy a LaserMax laser for their Home defense guns.

A word of Caution !

I make no statement about the frequency of the following failure, but it is something I witnessed first hand today.

I was teaching my Close Combat Class .......... a student had a Glock full size 9mm that he equiped with the LaserMax system. He was instructed to not use the laser as it is not allowed in this training. He chose to leave the Laser-Guide rod installed and keep the thing turned off. Before this training - like some home owners, he shot the Glock rarely -- maybe a total of a couple hundred rounds.

After only 200 rounds of shooting - the Glock jammed ! I looked at the pistol and it was obvious that the recoil mainspring was binding badly. We took the pistol apart and the LaserMax laser system flew apart all over the floor of the indoor range. Batteries went flying and pieces of the laser tube went in other directions. I removed the slide as carefully as I could.

Luckly - the owner had the original guide rod & recoil spring with him. It looked as if this part had never been used. I installed it in the pistol and all was well. Better than "well" -- the handgun had a better feel of felt recoil and the muzzle flip seemed less. The gun worked flawlessly after the original recoil spring was installed.

So lesson learned : If the owner had to use this pistol for self defense and the LaserMax chose to break apart at that time -- game over !!

This is the main reason I don't allow lasers in the training process - I can't have students becoming dependent on something that can malfunction [ due to Murphy's Law ] when there are better options for establishing target aquisition.

So word of caution - things break, that's life -- try not to add more things to your home defense gun that can break. Less is more - in this situation.

JF.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thats a very good point. Lasers are fun but, they can fail, If i was to use a laser it would be an external mount for this particular reason. If you were in a life or death situation an internal failure would certainly not be a good thing. I hope he carries a backup;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts