Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 9x18 Police/Ultra ammo is hard to come by. Anybody know of a current source?

Thanks
George

·
Registered
765 Posts
The supply for inexpensive Geco 9x18 Ultra ammo in the US is gone. Southern Ohio Gun was the last supplier who had any. The latest auction, about two months ago, came up with over $300.00 for a case.

Fiocchi manufactures 9x18 Police every three years. Next batch is scheduled for about two more years. IIRC, the last supply over at Sportsmansguide was selling for around $15.00 per box of 50.

The answer now is reloading. Should you desire a recipe, let me know here and I'll post it. My recollection is a 90 gr. bullet spitting out at 1,140 fps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not saying I recommend it, but I have read on a number of different Walther forums that .380 will function just fine in the 9x18 PP Super.

I was fortunate enough to find a PP Super in .380.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been thinking of loading my own but getting the brass and tooling is just as difficult it seems. I would be intrested in what others are using to reload and a source for brass.

Thanks
George

·
Registered
765 Posts
Not saying I recommend it, but I have read on a number of different Walther forums that .380 will function just fine in the 9x18 PP Super.
Mr. Orv Reichert seems to be the first person to mention it. Upon comments made by an Australian friend that either was doing it or knew that people were.

The only problem seems to be etching of the chamber. Which might make it unserviceable later on for the use of 9x18U cartridges.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have been thinking of loading my own but getting the brass and tooling is just as difficult it seems. I would be intrested in what others are using to reload and a source for brass.

Thanks
George
First off the bat, I would recommend .38 Super Comp brass. Starline manufactures it. It will last you a lifetime, made much stronger than what's required for the 9x18U specs. Need to trim it. The 9x18 Makarov tool for measuring case length will do just fine.

Then you need dies and shell holder. RCBS produces the 9x18 U carbide dies but it's expensive. Should be around $200.00 now. The shell holder also at RCBS is around $19.00. More on this later.

As to the recipe, this was posted by 84BravoJ8 in another forum. As chronoed out of a PP Super;

9X18 Ultra Load data with 9mm Hornady 90 grain HP/XTP

VV N330 4.2 grains Average velocity: 1,103 fps Spread: 27 SD: 12
High: 1,115 fps Low: 1,088 fps

VV N330 4.5 grains Average velocity: 1,147 fps
Spread: 48 High: 1,169 fps Low: 1,121 fps

It should sting.

·
Registered
765 Posts
As for dies, I purchased this,
http://www.ramseyoutdoor.com/products/details.aspx?g=hunting&sg=reloading&ssg=&pid=18212 Advertised when they had it in stock that it was for 9mm Luger/9x21/356 TSW/9x23 Win/9x18 Ultra.

Haven't started reloading yet, so I don't know if it works properly or not. 84BravoJ8 stated that I should be careful with it, but I heard another fellow at a gun show mention that 9x19 Luger dies worked. This fellow also recommended a .380 shell holder. But I purchased the RCBS shell holder. RCBS 9x18U shell holder= $19.95 plus s/h. Part number 57170.

Start with the book ABCs of Reloading. Should answer most of your questions.

·
Registered
765 Posts
A necessary disclaimer. This loading;

VV N330 4.5 grains Average velocity: 1,147 fps
Spread: 48 High: 1,169 fps Low: 1,121 fps

should be considered a maximum load. Of course, to be only used in guns in sound mechanical condition.

Just in case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You for your Responses!! I will still look for some factory ammo to get case dimensions & check out the gun which seems brand new.

George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts