Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Stainless Steel Walther PPK/S made by S&W with the longer tang.
In my search for knowledge I've found alot of people that are very unhappy with these pistols.Lots of failures to feed, extract, heavy triggers etc etc
Is there anything that I need to look for on these Pistols, Or Should I stay away from them comletely?
Also were can you get fancy wood grips for the S&W Walthers? I've seen were the Interarms & German PPs & PPK/Ss take a different grip than the S&W PPK/S.
I have several Pistols & Revolvers in my collection that are all 100% or they would have been sold or traded off, except for a Jennings J-22 that was my fathers.My only safe queen.
My primary guns are a Beretta92FS, SIG Sauer P225, HK P7M8, Glock 19, 3-Ruger SP101s, Ruger MKII, Dan Wesson 15-2, Taurus L-30 & a Walther P-22.
My primary carry pieces are one of my Two Ruger SP101s with 2 1/4" barrel in either 38 spl or 9mm, I also carry my HK P7M8 & Glock 19 quite a bit as well..
I'm no newbie  to handguns ,Have been shooting since age 5 & have been enjoying shooting as a hobby for over 35 years.
What can any of you knowledgeable PPK owners tell me that'll lean me toward the S&W PPK/S..
Or should I just go with a SIG Sauer P230/P232, Kahr, Kel-Tec, or one of the many other quality handguns on the market
I will use this as a carry piece & would expect it to be 100%
Also with a fancy set of fufu wood grips my Wife will probobly use it as a Purse gun from time to time.
Well Should I make the plunge on the PPK/S or just wait for something better to come along?
I know I'm askin mostly Walther Lovers Here so i know the answers will be Mostly possitive..
And bye the way I got a Carbon Fiber Walther P-22 with the newer magazines & mine has been 100% so far, I haven't shot it a whole lot, maybe 1000 rounds, My Ruger MKII has almost 150,000 rounds at last count.
Thanks Beretta92

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they aren't reliable from the factory?
I am a amature pistolsmith, Is there anything other than polishing the feed ramp, throating the chamber & maybe a reduced power hammer spring that I could do to one to make it perfect?
Are your grips Hogue? They don't show a difference on there website, They have a nice set of lamo Camo checkered on thier Auction site now

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did quite a bit of research before I bought mine last week. Im always a tad nervous whenever I buy an auto regardless of make in case I get a jamming lemon but the PPK has been flawless so far (100 rounds of Win Clean and a box of Hydra Shocks). S&W has done quite a bit of modifying to tweak the original Walther into a better gun. One thing though is that from checking different PPKs from shop to shop some had better DA triggers than others. Id check as many as possible and pick the best one. Also prices varied quite a bit but most shops would match (or close to) the lower shop in price.

Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that reply Too!!
Does anyone know if the grips in the pic above will fit the S&W PPK/S?
I'm gonna email Arron Hogue & ask him.
I will probobly contour the trigger & Militec the pistol several times heating between coates etc & add a RP Hammer spring
Thanks again..
B92

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I love Walthers. The All German made ones are of top quality. But for what you are looking for, reliability and trigger I would go with a Sig 230. I have never heard or read of anyone complaining about the trigger or reliability of that one. Also the same size, reliability and trigger, but $350 less would be a Bersa 380. You do sacrafice a little cosmetic quality compared to the Sig 230 though. You can find nice Nill wood grips for the Sig 230.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went & did It..
I got a S&W made Stainless Walther PPK/S today
I'll see what I can't do with it, If it doesn't work out I'll trade it toward a SIG Sauer P230/P232
I lubed it up realy good with Militec-1 & cleaned the daylights out of it, There's a bunch of burs etc in the frame, Typical Ruger, But appears to be a Good One, I might even get to shoot it this weekend if everything goes right
Wish Me Luck!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I love my PPK/s!

As Michael T would say, "have you kissed your PPK/s today?"

Heheh, enjoy, mine has been flawless thus far, and will feed flat nosed WWB, round nosed federal american eagle, hydrashok, and Golt Dot reliably (zero problems, knock on wood).  The gold dots seem to feed most smoothly of the hollowpoints, but that could just be me.

Enjoy!

-stunks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Give it a good try, from what I have been reading on the board, the more recent S&W's are working much better than the early ones. The double action trigger is stiff, but not impossible with practice. When I first shot a ppk 15 yrs ago I couldn't keep the first shot on the target, but now, alot of the times my first double action shot is my best of the group. Of course, I am not saying it will take you 15 years to master it
. Some people advise to try to develope the use of the tip of the finger for the double action pull, but me personally find the first knuckle works best.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I hope it works fine for you I will say that some seem to require a little break in at first. I have always found the Sig not comfortable in my habd and a little larger than the PPK/S
As a carry pistol every body here Knows I perfer Corbon ammo the 90grHP at present I haven't had a chance to try the 380 DPX round. I do have the 45 DPX in my Compact and Commander But they don't get carried as much as my PPK/S.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to give the Gold Dots a Try!!
I plan on gettin a few hundred WWB as well
I didn't own a .380 so I have no ammo for my Little Friend
I notice there's alot of sharp edges on the S&W PPK/S If it works out for me I'll give it the carry bevel treatment.
And Tom is your PPK a S&W & did the Hogues work out for You without fitting?The ones in my earlier post sure look great, I love wood grips but might also opt for Pachmayr or Farrar grips too? I also wonder why Hogue offers Wood grips for the PPK/S but no Rubber???
& I will say that the smooth trigger face & the extended beavertail are a plus on the S&W Walthers, Wonder why they don't bevel the sharp edges?
I handled a Interarms PPK side by side with the S&W PPK/S & you see which one I chose..The older PPK was less sharp though..
B92 with another Walther
Also the crappy case that came with the Walther broke a latch as soon as I got Home, Hope S&W will replace it for me.
Pics to Come
B92

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Early but here are a few Crappy pics I took of my S&W Walther PPK/S .380 Stainless
I Hope it shoots as good as It Looks, If Not SIG Sauer P230/P232 here I come.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Watch out for wood grips...

I got a 'Flying Tiger' PPK/S with some fancy wood grips stright from S&W. Seems that the grips did not fit right and they moved in the frame a bit. That movement cause the gun to have a lot of problems, FF, etc.

At a large gun show I went around looking for replacement grips. Found a lot of them, but every single one had quite a bit of play in them!

The fix was given to me by someone on this forum. I took the original grips and used the automotive epoxy (the gray and black stuff that comes in a stick) and wiped it in the crack between the grip and the frame. Let it set up and repeated for the other side. No more movement and no more problems.

I find (now) that the PPK/S to be a very accurate, very reliable weapon. Most people dislike it because of the blowback design give hard recoil. This is true of any blowback gun. Also the PPK can bit you. I found that a few minutes with a drimmel tool rounding the edges of the beaver tail took care of that. But I have a SS gun. Some think the trigger pull is a bit much, but I like the safety of that.

Also on the plus side, the PPK will eat everything I fed it. Some of my other 380's are very picky.

Right now, the PPK is my favorite deep concealment unit.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree with the sharp edges on the S&W PPK/s. I took a jewler's file to the sharp (exposed) edges on mine. None on the slide, just the fram in my case. You really can't tell that I've done anything to it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right about the sharp edges, I guess Ruger doesn't do there best work on the S&W/Walther frames, Mine is the same way, The slide is OK not sharp anywere but the frame has 8-10 spots that would rip you open, I got a few sheets of crocus cloth today & will be deburing & melting the edges on frame, My PPK/S is stainless & has the S&W extended beavertail, No fear of hammer bite with these, I also like the rounded smooth trigger face, A Wolff reduced power hammer spring kit is in order too IMHO..Trigger pull in DA is about 15 pounds & around 4-5 in SA..
And after reading about the trouble with the grips it makes me just want leave the factory on it.
Should I just have gotten the SIG P230
Perfect right from the box..& 100%
Might get to the range tomarrow if I'm Lucky, Wifes got several things for me to do tomarrow & all of them require me to spend money.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Sigs are not without the troubles also If its man made it will have lemons. Even people have a % of lemons. I seems to me your already against your new PPK/S with your I just trade for a SIG. It like in your mind the PPK won't measure up even before you try it. Maybe I wrong but thats the feelingd I get with statements like this"Should I just have gotten the SIG P230 Perfect right from the box..& 100%" or "I guess Ruger doesn't do there best work on the S&W/Walther frames" If Iam wrong sorry but give the pistol a fair chance. I wouldn't change the springs till the gun is broken it. The trigger pull isn't all that bad and reduceing the spring weight can cause trouble with miss fires. Also consider the timing of the weapon Will take less effort to recock hammer and might just change thing enough that it starts jamming , always the chance. On small auto change something will effect somthing else Most everyone here has stock triggers and are not having troubles. If you want a trigger job thats right send to Cyl&Slide they will do a correct trigger. By the way last Sig I handled trigger didn't feel all that much better than mine. Once again if you feel Iam out of line Im sorry But thats the feelings I m getting from your posts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry Guys!!
I've never shot a PPK, I am baseing everything on what I've read & SEE!! I got one so I guess I'm hooked without knowing so.
All SIGs that I have ever had or Shot were 100%, P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 etc etc, Sorry but that's my take on things.
And your right micheal t I'm not giving the Walther a Fair shake here & for that I'm sorry...
I've shot a Beretta 85 .380 , blowback design, & it had more recoil than a 92FS 9mm, because the locking block design absorbs the recoil, Another Walther First by the way..
I'm gonna give the PPK/S a good wringing out to see if it's worthy of carry status for me, It'll be a few weeks before I have 300-500 rounds through it with carry ammo.
And I have several Rugers & have seen this Stainless Steel before, I've done trigger jobs on many of them because they aren't what I'll call Sweet!!
I am probobly trying to compair the PPK/S to My HK P7M8 & that's crazy, Apples & Oranges..
B92

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine actally sweetened up a bit just oiling it with breakfree CLP after initial cleaning, after break in i will do the Militec-1 treatment a few times & then use TW-25B as it works great on Stainless Pistols
I broke all the shape edges with 600 grit wet dry paper & fine crocus last night after our Christmas party, it's alot more user friendly now, I didn't go crazy, Just were it needed it the most to keep from drawin blood.
Sure Hope this PPK/S is Gonna ROCK!!
I realy Love it! It's growin on Me!!
Damn Germans & thier great Pistols
Heckler & Koch, SIG Sauer, Walther, Mauser etc
Will probobly get some .380acp & a nice Holster while I'm out today Christmas Shopping.
Gonna Try Bass Pro Shop & Biff's GunWorld
Note: New Avatar I Shrank Down to 64x64

1 - 20 of 25 Posts