Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a local shop with a P5 I've been eyeballing lately. Not a terrific price at $540, and I'm really looking for the P5C, but I can be persuaded...

Anyway, can anyone tell me anything specific to the P5 that I should be looking for? This one looks pretty good to me, but I don't have any real experience with them either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine was solid and reliable. The left side ejection port means a bit more brass kicked your way, but it's not a huge distraction. People have complained about the trigger pull, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. Takedown is easy, so is cleaning.

$540 seems about the going rate for a P5 based on what I've seen at Grunbroker and at my local shop. I've always wanted a P5C as well, but 900-1000 bucks is just too steep.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
There has been people saying that the left hand ejection is good for 2 things.....
1. Should you encounter a jam you can clear it much faster if you are right handed....
2. If your right eye dominant (which most righthaned people are) it should be less of a distraction to your eys since the casing flying away should not be as visible to your left eye...
I love my P5. It is a solid shooter and recoil is the mildest of any 9mm I have shot. The trigger IMHO is very good. It might be a bit heavy in DA but it is smooth for a service pistol.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a P5C. Left ejection is no distraction to me (I'm a righty). The gun's the softest firing of anything I shoot. Ergonomics are exceptional as are fit and finish. Accuracy is as good as my fixed barrel P7, meaning outstanding. I'd say get the P5 and have fun, get the kompakt model later.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There's a local shop with a P5 I've been eyeballing lately. Not a terrific price at $540, and I'm really looking for the P5C, but I can be persuaded...

Anyway, can anyone tell me anything specific to the P5 that I should be looking for? This one looks pretty good to me, but I don't have any real experience with them either.

Thanks.

FWIW Dept:

Just a thought. I have a surplus German Gov't (SOG) P5. It was $429.00+shipping early in 2006. Very nice pistol.

Now having said that, keep in mind for around the $540 you are mentioning paying for a used P5 you could buy a new P99/AS, or P99c/AS.

The P5 is my fun plinker, but hey, it's too large for cc, and only holds 8 rds. The P99/AS holds 15+1 and I guarantee you it'll be more accurate than the used P5. The P99c/AS is better for cc than the P5 and it offers 10+1, and amazing accuracy right out of the box.

Please understand I'm NOT knocking the P5. I have one.. I love it. But it is a fun plinker as is my P1, and too large for any kind of cc duty.

If you already have your personal defense firearm and you are just looking for a plinker type pistol the Walther P5 is a great one to have. If you need a firearm to do cc or home defense type duty consider the P99/AS or P99c/AS.

Just an old farts opinion, dissenting opinons welcomed and cheerfully ignored. (not deliberately, "short term memory loss" due to advancing senility.. Or so my wife says.)

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have two P5 pistols and they are very accurate and interesting firearms. The pwarms imported police trade-ins are nice, but that price may be a bit high for one of those.

Both of mine are Interarms and were imported as new, not trade-ins.

Actually I haven't been on the forum for a while and the reason I'm on today is that I was in a gunshop and saw a LNIB P5 that is Interarms import. They want about $540 for it and I was actually thinking about it for myself, but I thought I would post a heads-up here to see if anyone may want the info.

If so, e-mail me and I'll give you contact info. redvette at comcast.net (remove spaces and change at to @)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts