Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rather suddenly I heard something that was not right. Here is what I found. Am I correct that this part is called a locking lug? I just want to make sure I have the vocabulary correct. If I am wrong, please correct me. thanks

Attachments

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Wow, damn that sucks.

I'm curious as to what Walther will tell you. Please post your response from them. I've got to call them about an issue of mine, as well.

What is it, 9mm, .40, .45?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI
It was not the stock barrel. It is a custom one, and I hate to mention the maker until I hear what they want to do. Even then, I do not want to badmouth the place, as the barrel was really accurate, perhaps even more so that the original.

This one is in 9mm. I usually shoot standard American Eagle and Speer and Walmart Federal, but I have shot some Winchester 124 nato and I was shooting Geco 124 today when this happened. I do not know if that made a difference.

I was very surprised. The slide jammed after this happened but with a good push I got it forward enough to come off.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Well, if it was Jarvis or BarSto, that's the first failure I've read about.

Could be worse, you could've had a chamber failure, I'm saying this not because of your using 124gr ammo (i run that as well), but my guess is a defect in metal, or machining.

If it's a reputable barrel maker, I'm doubtless sure they'll just about fall all over themselves getting you a new one. I'd hope so, at least.

·
Registered
196 Posts
wow . . . lucky to get away with a "holly S-it"
If no diet of +p . . . . . . just a bad part.

for thought . . . there are some barrel mfg that say "due to tighter than standard
tolerances, this barrel should be fitted by a qualified gunsmith or our own
service dept."

so check the warranty before you make the call...... good luck !

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
All I can say is wow. Glad you did not get hurt. I've never seen a barrel fail in that way. Scary stuff.

If you are comfortable, please keep us in the loop on how this turns out.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Short of getting a threaded barrel, what is the appeal to getting an aftermarket barrel for a pistol like the PPQ? Unless you send the slide out and have that specific barrel mated to that specific slide, I doubt there is a noticeable increase in accuracy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why would you alter anything on a PPQ 9mm, other than sights to your personal preference? The PPQ is so good out of the box. What was wrong with the original to want to go out and modify to improve something? Walther engineers know their stuff. Certainly better than I do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The original barrel had significant scaling inside the valleys. I even took it to my gunsmiths and they could not clean it out and said they did not know what it was.

So I sent the barrel in and Walther said the scaling would not make a difference in accuracy. That could easily be true. I did not run any kind of test about this, but it was hard not to fall back into thinking the way most people traditionally think about the inside of a barrrel: markings and such can cause loss of accuracy so try not to scratch up the inside of a barrel.

I decided to try a custom barrel and it was great.

There are lots of threads on this in the past, so I'll leave it at this.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Why would you alter anything on a PPQ 9mm, other than sights to your personal preference? The PPQ is so good out of the box. What was wrong with the original to want to go out and modify to improve something? Walther engineers know their stuff. Certainly better than I do.
Some of the reasons might be someone who wants a threaded barrel, a potted barrel or a match fitted barrel.

Then of course, there are those that need a replacement for whatever reason.

I have been contemplating a fitted barrel for my Q5 for a while

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I know who produced the barrel.

Hint, Hint, Look at OPs prior posts on WF. But you DIDN'T hear that from me!

Reactions: Kar98

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I know who produced the barrel.

Hint, Hint, Look at OPs prior posts on WF. But you DIDN'T hear that from me!
There is just not that many people making PPQ barrels guys. It's not hard to figure out.

I want to see where this goes. Could be a metallurgy issue. Could be a machining issue. Let's see what the diagnosis is and just as importantly, what's done to make it right.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ALL manufactures make a "dud" every now and then. The issue gets out of hand when numerous mistakes are made, and QC fails to catch the items before getting into shooters hands. Escapes are bad, repeat escapes are MUCH worse.

Could be a heat treat issue also (not mentioned prior to this post).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replacement barrels for Walther

I got a replacement barrel for my PPQM2 .45 because at the time Walther did not offer a threaded barrel and I have a lot of .45 suppressors.
I noticed that accuracy from a rest at 25 yards was improved over the original factory barrel. I shot carefully at two separate targets with one barrel for each target and could not see the holes as I shot. I put a full magazine into each separate target with the two barrels. I don't have a Ransom rest but I shoot fairly well and never flinch and the PPQ trigger is so very good, especially off the reset.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Idea... Buy a WALTHER OEM 5" Barrel, get it to a master machinist, have it threaded to spec, pay the extra for a recrown (after machining, makes a difference at 50 yds), I dunno, seems simple. If there is slide slack, moly-di slide fitment, redo regularly as needed...

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
DeutschlandUberAlles has it right. I am really curious as to what happened to that barrel and why. If it turns out to be a manufacturing error, I'm curious to see how the situation is resolved.

The probable manufacturer involved has a good reputation. It's not as if these barrels are self destructing every day. Let's see where this goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts