Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the longevity of the new Walther PPK/s Fort smith Arkansas?

what’s the most rounds someone has put through it?

how long will this gun last me?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Assuming you use appropriate ammo, provide regular maintenance and don't subject it to excessive abuse your pistol is likely to outlast your natural life.

Does that mean you'll never - ever - have to replace a part? Certainly not. Extractors, springs, levers ETC do have replacement intervals.

The thing is solid steel. It's not indestructable but it's not some dainty Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P32 that is liable to have it's frame crack in the 1000+ round range.

As Jimmo952 mentioned, at the current time finding any ammo to even shoot in a PPK/s is probably a bigger concern than how many it will eat without protest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the longevity of the new Walther PPK/s Fort smith Arkansas?
how long will this gun last me?
Properly cared for, I imagine it could last a lifetime, or two, or three...?

In the High Power world, it is recommended by some that springs should be replaced every 5 years or 5000 rounds.
I have a nice 1970 PPK that seems to work fine with the original springs. I have a 1950 High Power that worked just fine before I replaced all the springs, and a 1943 model that absolutely needed a new sear spring to function safely.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
For the OP, I doubt your hand will tolerate enough .380s in a PPK to wear it out. ;)
The high speed/low drag guys don't run up big round counts in blowback .380s.
Relax and enjoy your gun; it should last you a long time.
Moon

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I was told by a guy some years ago that shot a lot, that he had to replace pistol barrels in the 250K range, he was not a Walther shooter....he might have been full of hot air, I don't know. I shot a Ruger LCP a bit over 4,000 rounds of .380 and it isn't nearly the pistol a steel Ft Smith PPK or PPK/S is. I'd bet one could cycle 20,000 rounds without issue although a new recoil spring would be of benefit along the way. Do any of these ever wear out? Sure you might need to replace spring or two, perhaps an extractor or the safety drum might crack but other than that....do they ever have any issues? 1917

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Fort Smith First Edition PPK/s with about 3K+ rounds through it. No issues and no apparent wear. I clean it after each range session and lubricate it well with gun grease on all wear points. I did have a small problem with it when I first got it, but Walther took care of that. No worries since.

By the way, the PPK/s does not like to be dirty. After about 150 to 200 rounds of Winchester FMJ (not the cleanest shooting round available), it may fail to feed properly because the power residue will build up in the chamber. If you run a bore snake or similar item through it to clean the chamber, it will again run without issues. This is the fault of a dirty round and not the PPK/s. The PPK/s appears to be built to pretty close tolerance, so powder residue can have a significant effect. Also, a buildup of residue in the barrel will affect accuracy. I usually shoot a 1" to 1.5 inch pattern with an occasional outlier at self defense distances (7 yards). After about 150 rounds, that pattern will slowly open up to 3" to 4". A bore snake at the range or better yet a complete cleaning will correct this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Fort Smith First Edition PPK/s with about 3K+ rounds through it. No issues and no apparent wear. I clean it after each range session and lubricate it well with gun grease on all wear points. I did have a small problem with it when I first got it, but Walther took care of that. No worries since.

By the way, the PPK/s does not like to be dirty. After about 150 to 200 rounds of Winchester FMJ (not the cleanest shooting round available), it may fail to feed properly because the power residue will build up in the chamber. If you run a bore snake or similar item through it to clean the chamber, it will again run without issues. This is the fault of a dirty round and not the PPK/s. The PPK/s appears to be built to pretty close tolerance, so powder residue can have a significant effect. Also, a buildup of residue in the barrel will affect accuracy. I usually shoot a 1" to 1.5 inch pattern with an occasional outlier at self defense distances (7 yards). After about 150 rounds, that pattern will slowly open up to 3" to 4". A bore snake at the range or better yet a complete cleaning will correct this.
Thank you for this info.

I haven’t shot mine yet but I can’t wait to shoot it!

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
1917', unlikely that anyone has ever shot the barrel out of a handgun. High temperatures and velocities are what erode the origin of the rifling, and even naval cannon need to be rechambered due to bore erosion. Pistols, not so much.
But there's not explaining what people will tell you; went round and round with a guy who was told by another guy that he completely shot the rifling out of a S&W.
Maybe you talked to the same guy.
Best,
Moon

Reactions: 1917-1911M

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for this info.

I haven’t shot mine yet but I can’t wait to shoot it!
I think you’ll be fine. As said, clean it after each trip to the range and try to use clean ammunition. That gun will probably outlast you, certainly your wrists. Get out and shoot it every chance you get, and have fun.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hmmm...250K rounds, at 10 cents a round adds up to be $25,000 in ammo. A rich shooter who could afford a new barrel, even if he could find that much ammo that cheap. I don't think you can reload pistol rounds that cheaply. I believe that guy who told this to 1917 was blowing smoke.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The only pistol I ever had that was completely shot out was a mid WW1 C-96 that sounded like a baby rattle when you shook it, had all mixed parts, a smith bore, was refinished at some time and THAT finish work off. Still functioned.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a Mauser Broomhandle that had a shot out barrel . Came from China via Germany. I didn't have much money in it and had the barrel sleeved...I can't abide a gun in that shape. So I now have a mismatched Broom with a great bore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts