Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys what is the service life of the Walther P99AS in terms of ammunition fired? How many rounds before parts breakages? Are there parts that are prone to failure on these? Any parts I should stock up for?

Basically wanting to know of any problems to look out for on a high round count pistol.

Thanks!

Spunk

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Morning Spunk.....hey' no worries....stock up on ammunition, rather than spare parts. Only thing that you might want to pick up as a spare is a recoil spring....NOT because they break....but after 100,000 rounds you might want to think about replacing it.:D

What do you consider HIGH round count.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
What do you consider HIGH round count.
This is the key question.

How many rounds a year do you typically shoot through one pistol?

Your question leads me to believe you are coming to Walther from Glocks, as most Glock owners seem to have a preoccupation with hoarding spare parts, or at least it seems that way by their posts on the 'net.

A recoil spring change somewhere beyond 5000 rounds is the only thing I can think that would be remotely necessary.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shoot about 5,000 rounds of 9mm a year but always like to look at the long term. I know some guns out there have weaknesses in parts that need to be changed on a regular basis and was wondering if the P99 is similar. For example the Berettas need new locking blocks and trigger springs every so often etc.

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
My experience is the recoil spring lasts way beyond 5k at least on the full size which has a flat wire spring. I've personally had P99s with well into the high teens that were like new since I cycled through the original to the new frames and then to long paddle versions. I keep a set of spare springs for the striker and such but have never had a failure thankfully. I keep a spare compact RSA and a couple of full size RSA assemblies but to be honest, it's not a big deal and I used to swap just because.

Like everything, it depends on your use and if I didn't have range and carry guns I would treat it differently. A carry gun gets shot maybe 500 rounds to verify function, and make sure nothing is showing any kind of weird wear. Then it goes into rotation and is shot only once every few months at most mainly since I'm going to clean and re-lube so I may as well shoot it. I'm in Nevada so if I were near salt water or doing a ton of sweating, I would check it more.

I keep range guns and mags that never go into carry rotation so they are allowed to get filthy and mags are dropped, get rocks and sand in them etc. I pretty much just give the occasional drop of lube and clean every few shoots so it could be as low as a little over a thousand to a couple of thousand rounds. The main purpose of cleaning is not for function really as a little lube will keep a P99 running in my experience, it is to check for wear and inspect components. The only real issue I ever have is mag related and that is not so much a desert sand issue as a local range where they have a weird gravel that occasionally causes a mag hang-up. I keep ten mags in my range bag for range only use and if the same one has an issue I will just remove the floor plate and clean followed by some Mag-Slick dry spray from Brownells which some of the heavy competition guys turned me on to. Unless you're running frame pounding +p loads all the time I would expect the average P99 to run comparable to Glocks with 6 figure round counts with only the occasional spring swap. You will spend many multiples the cost of the gun in ammo before you ever have issues. That said, if you plan to carry and run it a lot, I would have range and carry stuff for peace of mind. Any gun I carry, I have at least two of.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My experience is the recoil spring lasts way beyond 5k at least on the full size which has a flat wire spring. I've personally had P99s with well into the high teens that were like new since I cycled through the original to the new frames and then to long paddle versions. I keep a set of spare springs for the striker and such but have never had a failure thankfully. I keep a spare compact RSA and a couple of full size RSA assemblies but to be honest, it's not a big deal and I used to swap just because.

Like everything, it depends on your use and if I didn't have range and carry guns I would treat it differently. A carry gun gets shot maybe 500 rounds to verify function, and make sure nothing is showing any kind of weird wear. Then it goes into rotation and is shot only once every few months at most mainly since I'm going to clean and re-lube so I may as well shoot it. I'm in Nevada so if I were near salt water or doing a ton of sweating, I would check it more.

I keep range guns and mags that never go into carry rotation so they are allowed to get filthy and mags are dropped, get rocks and sand in them etc. I pretty much just give the occasional drop of lube and clean every few shoots so it could be as low as a little over a thousand to a couple of thousand rounds. The main purpose of cleaning is not for function really as a little lube will keep a P99 running in my experience, it is to check for wear and inspect components. The only real issue I ever have is mag related and that is not so much a desert sand issue as a local range where they have a weird gravel that occasionally causes a mag hang-up. I keep ten mags in my range bag for range only use and if the same one has an issue I will just remove the floor plate and clean followed by some Mag-Slick dry spray from Brownells which some of the heavy competition guys turned me on to. Unless you're running frame pounding +p loads all the time I would expect the average P99 to run comparable to Glocks with 6 figure round counts with only the occasional spring swap. You will spend many multiples the cost of the gun in ammo before you ever have issues. That said, if you plan to carry and run it a lot, I would have range and carry stuff for peace of mind. Any gun I carry, I have at least two of.
Thanks! I live in Nevada, too! Las Vegas.

Glad to hear these guns tend to run and run. This is a good thing. Further research doesn't show many issues with parts breakages like some brands experience. Good news!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did some digging and it seems the firing pins on these guns have broken in the past with a seemingly alarming rate.

Has this problem been rectified by Walther?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Well I did some digging and it seems the firing pins on these guns have broken in the past with a seemingly alarming rate.
I like to think that if the "firing pins" (I'm assuming you mean strikers) were breaking on these pistols, that I've done enough studying up on the design to where I would have heard about it.

I think you're mistaking this for another design. Striker failures are rare on these pistols. By the way, there was another thread on P99 longevity not too long ago. I believe it is still on the first page in this section of the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Spunk, you're reading about the wrong gun. The P99's do not have a firing pin.....they have a striker. AND more importantly, the're are NO reports of the strikers failing in Walther P99's or P99C's or SW99's or MR9's or PPQ's for that matter. ALL these pistols use the same basic design.....they ALL have strikers and NONE of them are experiencing striker/firing pin breakages.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Maybe he is thinking about Caniks? They have a pretty poor reputation with striker pins due to it being a cheap MIM part and Canik is almost a clone of Walther P99.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
There's a thread on here telling everyone they wasted money buying a Walther, the Canik is just as good. :rolleyes:
The Canik striker fired pistols also had a recall for drop safety issues recently.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Hahaha, I have a friend in FL who needed several stitches in his dom hand after a POS J9 blew apart.

You couldn't pay me to shoot one!
Fluke, totally. They're amazing weapons and everyone should rely on them. The rest are all marketing and hype. Jennings are the best single shot auto you can own - bar none!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't know if this theme has already come up on the forum (my search drew a blank), but if not, here is something for your enlightenment:

https://www.gettyimages.ch/ereignis/polish-police-to-withdraw-from-use-defective-walther-p99-guns-693150689#/police-officer-carrying-walther-p99-handgun-in-holster-is-seen-in-on-picture-id631728710

and this: P99 Problem Poland.pdf

The article is from 2014 and, to put it in perspective, it deals with just ONE incident in which the police officer involved luckily escaped serious injury due to wearing safety glasses. The article is not clear on whether the pistol involved was an Ulmer P99 or from the Polish Radom production (I would assume the latter).

Perhaps some of our Polish members could update us on this.

Balor

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I thought this was interesting:

Since 2001 this weapon has been the part of the
equipment of Polish Police and since the same
year WALTHER P99 cal. 9 mm pistols have been
manufactured in “ŁUCZNIK” Metal Works (now the
“ŁUCZNIK” Arms Factory in Radom).
I haven't heard of anyone with these complaints from a P99 pistol actually made at the Walther plant. Other than maybe the 1911 and CZ-75, is there any other design that has been copied by so many other manufacturers?

That PDF stated that with excessive dry firing, the breechface on the slide could fail, causing the primer of the next round fired to push the breechface to the rear, pushing the striker assembly to the rear, breaking the slide cap, launching the slide assembly towards the shooter, and possibly injuring the shooter.

I have heard of breechface failures on Glock pistols from excessive dry firing, but never on a 99-series pistol. Conversations around the topic seem to suggest than the amount of dry firing that causes this on Glock pistols, numbers in the tens of thousands, if not more, and this is generally seen only on instructors' or competition shooters' pistols.

https://www.glocktalk.com/attachments/failedslide01-jpg.228850/

It is interesting to hear that it is possible on the P99. But one instance, on a pistol not made by Walther, and only after what may be excessive dry firing, does not concern me very much. I wouldn't have an issue buying a Glock either.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts