Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making this post to say that I'll be participating less (if at all anymore) on this forum from now on. I've been coming to this little by little for a while now, but the events of the last thread I participated in sped up the process.

My reason for joining this forum years ago was to learn as much as I could about the pistols that worked best in my hands, which happened to be the P99, and then the PPQ. The overall tone of the forum has been changing little by little since then, into what it is now. In the past few years, I can't think of one thing that stands out that I've learned here, so the question lately has been, why put up with this?

Instead, for years I've been spending most of my time on this forum helping members here who have had issues or questions about a product that I happen to know a good bit about. Most of the time things go well, but too many times lately, simply giving advice on a topic results in push back on the most idiotic topics, by members here who actually think they know what they are talking about.

For example, lately, if I simply state that people shouldn't be taking mechanical safety devices off of pistols, and provide facts as to why, people want to "fight back", as if I stated what I did to do anything other than promote safety.

If I simply state that lube helped fix the gritty trigger on my pistol, and provide facts, people want to "fight back" and start an argument claiming that this is impossible.

If I simply state reasons why I believe it would be beneficial to have a black pistol, and provide facts as to why, people can't simply respectfully disagree, and let it go.

There are certain members here who I have a very good amount of respect for. They were one of the reasons I kept coming back, but overall I enjoy helping people, and passing on information about these pistols that I personally found very, very hard to come by, being that when I first got a P99, these pistols were nowhere near as popular as they are now. For years I've been looking for information about these pistols, and for years I've been informing the forum about conversations I've had with people who were very knowledgeable about firearms in general, as more the 99-series pistols specifically. Multiple threads I've started and/or participated in have been stickied at the tops of subforums here. I've helped a whole lot of people here, but the bottom line is that I don't need to be here.

If the moderator would care to respond as to why I was "banned" (and I was under the impression that it was permanent until now), while the other members I was interacting with continually made personal attacks, both before and after this moderator intervened with this ban on me, and are continuing to do so even now on a thread that is still open, feel free to do so. If not, make the ban permanent. If I don't get a satisfactory reply here, I won't be participating on this forum any more regardless.

I honestly do hope that you guys help even half as many people here as I did, as doubtful as I am about it.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
What the hell! First, please provide some detail as to which thread and post you were banned for....this I have to see. I've never seen a post from you that even came close to something to be considered for banning....not even a "soft" ban.

Every discussion or difference of opinion you and I have had I have never believed your responses were anything more than a passion for what you believe. If we are prohibited from showing passion in a response then the owners should shut down every site they own/manage.

Perhaps you are not gaining new information as when you originally joined but you certainly have a very large and impressive "database" of info and I personally appreciate what you bring to any discussion.

Perhaps a short break just to take a few deep breaths but I would hate to see you leave.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Balance, I can’t say enough how much I appreciate not just your knowledge on P99 but also general wisdom about anything has to do with it. P99 is my first pistol and to date it’s still one of my favorites because many people here like you who also likes it are here to support it. It’s like going to a football game with crowds who also like their favorite team like you. Without you, my enthusiasm in P99 would for sure be less. Don’t leave. Just ignore idiots. There are plenty of people who respect you here who may not say much but we appreciate you in our heart.

Let’s get old here together with our P99.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
@balance,

I have only been on this Forum for a few months. I have learned new things here, tried to give what advice feel qualified to give, and all have had a few exchanges that were approaching getting personal. That. I believe, is the nature of forums.

I understand your feelings. Perceiving injustice, unfairness, or similar disparity in treatment is certainly maddening. But those feelings cannot be relived by payback, which only add to the distress of any party involved in the incident,

If you walk away angry folks here will miss your contributions. Some have already said so above. But any anger they might feel will not reach the moderator(s). It will just add to the general sense of frustration that they feel.

If you follow through on your edict, members will be deprived, and in a way you will be deprived too. I hope that you will reconsider and continue your active presence here. That will demonstrate more about your nature than walking away will. Please stay.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't leave, use your ignore button on people that are not good for the forum. Hate to see someone like you leave , you have been here a long time.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Hate to see you go balance, though I do understand. I enjoyed your posts and info dating back to the old FN days.

I do agree. The tenor here has changed. Less genuine info and more opinion and personal digs. I get all of that, and more, than I need over at arfcom. The Walther Forum was my respite forum in the internet world of firearms. Now, not so much.

It's the way of the modern world it seems. Argumentation over education, where the ad hominem is first resort.

All the best to you sir.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
In my opinion, a single event a few years ago shifted the overall tenor that made the WF one of the least contentious gun forums on the Interweb. That comment isn’t a dig at the current moderators, just my empirical observation. I agree with Jan’s comment above; ignore the folks that are obviously looking to be contrary for the “sport” of it, they aren’t worthy of your time or expertise.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I know the thread and saw nothing alarming. But I'm not a moderator nor would I second guess them.

I've said in PMs regarding that thread that balance and I have gone round and round on the subject of RSAs possibly for 4 or 5 years with never a harsh word (nor a firm conclusion). We've had lively and enjoyable discourse.

When it comes to experts on the P99/PPQ platform (including those at Walther) if I can't figure it out I look to fart or balance.
balance's loss will greatly diminish our community.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Always sad to see a knowledgeable member decide to leave a forum.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I'm making this post to say that I'll be participating less (if at all anymore) on this forum from now on. ...

Good luck.

Balance: Don't sweat it. Let us know where you're going, because I may follow. I'm getting weary of repeatedly telling people to read the fukking FAQs. It's becoming a long arid stretch between intelligent questions.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
I'm forever running afoul of the moderators over at the WSJ, so I feel your pain.

Concur with PPs; what thread indeed caused the issue?
In any case, don't make a hasty departure.
Moon

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Balance: Don't sweat it. Let us know where you're going, because I may follow. I'm getting weary of repeatedly telling people to read the fukking FAQs. It's becoming a long arid stretch between intelligent questions.

M
Mike you as our resident curmudgeon have been tasked with the job of telling folks to "read the fukking FAQs". I actually had to say it for you on one thread last week...I have no desire to take up your mantle.

I do agree that it seems intelligent discourse seems to be lacking recently, especially on the thread balance cites.

Reactions: Andyd_is_PzGren

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I am a member of many gun forums and while this forum here does not have as much "traffic" as most others that I frequent, it is not the worst one, neither when you consider language and insults, nor redundant questions. The use of the search function and reading the FAQ should not be discouraged by those members, that politely answer any question that has already been discussed ad nauseam.

It is noticeable here, that many folks just sign onto this forum to ask a handful of questions about a classic Walther firearm that they inherited to maximize the proceeds from a sale and disappear.

As I wrote at the beginning, this forum is slower than most others but there are a few knowledgeable members here, that keep it alive. If half a dozen of those very knowledgeable members leave, the forum will be a ghost town, especially when it comes to information.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think perhaps a "ban" was over the top, but I think it's fair to say that in the particular thread that caused the issue that the level of discourse on all sides had dropped below standards and it was better that everyone took a breather.

To be fair, it looks like the ban was more of a suspension.

Rules are rules and sometimes the referee makes a questionable call. I think they had the right motives at heart, however.

I'd hate to see you take your ball and go home over a bad call. You seem like an asset to the board.

As far as the forum and level of discourse... this is a slower one no doubt. I don't want to assign motives to anyone and I like to assume the best in folks. My belief is the level of 'contrarianism' found recently is simply an attempt to prod further discussion and debate... and less intent on tearing down anyone's particular opinion or personality.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts