Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually a topic on another forum, but I wanted to find out any info I can on it. I have a p99 date code AC. I do have a notch on my block, but have seen others that do not. Was there a change midway through production? The link to the thread on the other forum is
http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubb....=000234

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an AC that doesn't have the notch.I know they came from a different supplier but whether this was a permanent change I don't know.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Spooky, I'm not a gunsmith, and far from an expert, but I remember responding to your post on this over at TFL, and I agree with you that it doesn't look right.

What I see there looks to me like a crack and/or chip, perhaps from a bad casting, or metal fatigue, brought out by use. Granted, I'm totally guessing here, but it just seems like there's something fishy about that.

I'd send it out to Smith/Walther, and see what they say, and I'd do it QUICKLY. Please don't risk injuring yourself, or someone else at the range, by taking chances. It's just not worth it.

My two cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Admin, the notch I am talking about is in the block itself, not a chip. If you look closely at the pic on the link, there is a notch below the crack. It looks like a square notch placed there during manufacturing. Some of these p99's seem to have them and some do not. I am wondering why.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Spooky, no, I don't have that notch, or the crack in the block. Leaving aside the notch for a moment, the mere idea that there could be a failed casting is the higher priority issue in my mind.

I would not be happy to hear you got hurt, or hurt someone else on the rage due to a failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Catbird, Thank you for that link. It answered my questions. I have had no problems with mine, but may send it back anyway. If these things are defective I don't want to find out what can happen the hard way before I do anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts