Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, little venting here - been to a ton of dealers and little owned mom and pop shops in the greater Austin area looking at their selections.  I can't believe how many of them upon my asking about if they have any Walther P99s in stock, they immediately interject or try to steer me to the glock counter - "get a glock, it's a better gun" aka "get a glock because my profit margin on the thing is higher!"  I own a glock, and yes, it's a nice firearm, but not the one that I consider to be the all high and mighty.  I guess I'm tired of the folks that rely on glocks and sigs or whatnot for 70%+ of their counter sales trying to continue to steer you in that direction.  Makes you wonder if they have even tried out another hand gun!  Brainwashed I tell you!  

It got as bad as me being in a well respected local store, that the minute I said I wasn't interested in a glock or sig and was specifically looking for a P99 (after the glock and sig sales plug), the sales guy pretty much quit paying me any attention, stepped back and put his hands in his pockets like our time together was through!  How pitiful!  

But, I will throw in that the local Sportsman Warehouse's handgun guru didn't try and sway me after I spoke with him.  Even though he didn't have the 9mm in stock, he still pulled down anything and everything off the shelf that caught my fancy and walked me through every feature, plus and minus of the model, and even went as far as to break down many of them right there on the counter to show the internals and how they like to be cleaned and lubed.  I like to support small businesses and do appreciate a good personal touch they normally offer, but I think this big box store will be getting my business more often after all this.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The mom and pop store I buy my stuff from is great....
never have they even tried to sell me a Glock....
Yet I do frequent Sportsman warehouse often too, it's just closer by 30 miles......
What I will not do though, is go to wallyworld do buy ammo... that I either get at the range or gunstore...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
While I try to avoid buying much of anything at Wal-Mart, I do occasionally buy ammo there. It's one of the few things you can get there that isn't made in China.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Nov. 30 2006,4:37)]The mom and pop store I buy my stuff from is great....
never have they even tried to sell me a Glock....
Yet I do frequent Sportsman warehouse often too, it's just closer by 30 miles......
What I will not do though, is go to wallyworld do buy ammo... that I either get at the range or gunstore...
I have one mom and pop store that I really like and will hit up and check out stuff, but they are only open 3 days a week.

For the ammo it's more of a convenience thing - I shop around between Wally's, Academy and Sportsmans. I try not to get it at the range, but sometimes have to. They're usually about 2+ bucks higher per box.

What do you pay for range fees? Here, indoor is 13.50 an hour. Outdoor, while a little ways out (30 minutes) is $10 a day.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RRTex @ Nov. 30 2006,3:43)]"get a glock, it's a better gun" aka "get a glock because my profit margin on the thing is higher!" I own a glock, and yes, it's a nice firearm, but not the one that I consider to be the all high and mighty. I guess I'm tired of the folks that rely on glocks and sigs or whatnot for 70%+ of their counter sales trying to continue to steer you in that direction. Makes you wonder if they have even tried out another hand gun! Brainwashed I tell you!
It could be that they're brainwashed, Kool-Aid drinkers with limited experience or it could be that they're just trying to sell what they have on hand. Not to defend gun shop owners, but it's hard to sell an item you don't have in stock. While good customer service is all about helping the customer, in sales, you never want the customer to take time to "think it over" or to walk away. If they don't steer a potential customer towards an item they have in stock, that person is likely to walk out and buy elsewhere or forget the whole thing.

Added to that is the fact that certain brands have more accessories made for them. While gun dealers can make a mint on used guns, they generally have a much smaller profit margin on new guns. However, they can make a lot on the accessories. Since Glocks are popular and the dealer stocks them, they probably already carry a certain amount of accessories for them. People who work at or own gun stores, have an interest in selling you additional magazines, holsters, upgraded sights, etc. Again, that's hard to do when you don't have them in stock.

That said, if you are clear with the gun store personnel that you know about the other stuff but you're interested in X, I'd imagine they'd agree to making a special order for you (and charge you). If you're just going in there to ask questions about a certain make and model, be prepared to do your own leg work. A lot of gun store employees may be enthusiastic about firearms but don't know the particulars when it comes to a certain model (especially when they do not routinely stock it). Before I got the P99, I went to several shops trying to find answers and while I got responses, they were not correct. It was hardly surprising since they didn't carry the pistol. The one dealer I found who did know about the gun was the guy who had several listed for sale online.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RRTex @ Nov. 30 2006,6:11)]What do you pay for range fees?  Here, indoor is 13.50 an hour.  Outdoor, while a little ways out (30 minutes) is $10 a day.
The outdoor range here I pay $40 for a year... or $5 for one time use......they also host matches on the weekends...
though their hours are limited due to cops using the range and people working there are not being paid.....
my indoor range I don't know anymore, since I got a membership there...
gives me discount on ammo and I have a guranteed spot to shoot

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Screw the local stores, call CDNN or arizona gun runners and have them ship it to your FFL holder.  If you don't know of one, they will help you find one in your state.

The local stores can easily order what you want, if they don't want to sell you what you want, it's their loss.

·
Patron
212 Posts
I am an FFL dealer (gunsmith mainly, but still.........) and I can order whatever I want at dealer's cost but I STILL check out my local gunstores occasionally because once in a while you can get something unique a/o get a good price on something. So don't drink the CDNN kool-aid either (and I love CDNN).

Feel the force.............go with the force..........  

·
Registered
333 Posts
Supply and demand..

High end firearms are "generally" in lower demand so get less shelf space, if any.

It seems here in SE Ga. the larger size gun/pawn shops will have a Sig or two, but generally no Walther's, no H&K's.

Glocks abound...

When I want a specific firearm I research it, then mosey down to my local gun dealer and he calls his distributor, gets price and gives me a price.  So far everytiime we've done this little dance the price he came back with was, while not absolutely rock bottom, quite respectable.  

He's happy to get the business and a reasonable profit.. I'm happy to be able to deal locally, still get a fair price, and both of us are winners.

If my dealer, for whatever reasons, cannot get me the firearm I want at a competitive price he is more than happy to be my ffl transfer dealer for $20.00.   Hard to beat that.

I am always put off at gun shops when the resident "gun expert" tries to sell me something I don't want, or "knock" the firearm I DO want.  I believe that profit margin, and personal preference color the sellers opinions and take whatever he/she says with a grain of salt.

If I've done MY research and a seller's opinion contradicts everything I've heard I don't waste his time, or more importantly, MY TIME any further.

I don't think it takes but one or two bad experiences, or being "told" of others bad experiences for some people to form a negative opinion about ANYTHING that simply is hard for them to overcome.  

I've read considerable negatives about KelTec's for example.  But my P32 and my P11 have been excellent pistols.  Both are quite accurate at self defense range and 100% reliable.  I understand that in a $225.00 pistol that is very small and very light I have not purchased a 50,000rd firearm.  My theory is to shoot a couple of hundred rds thru it and if it proves reliable (they have), then load them up, and put 'em in your pocket..  Periodically I shoot up the ammo in the mags, put fresh rds. in and I'm good to go.  

Those folks who buy KelTec's and "shoot them" until they malfunction are just looking for trouble.. Anything built by man will at some point fail..  I think generally speaking my KelTec's will give up the ghost LONG before my Walthers or Sig..  But I knew that coming in, and I didn't pay Walther/Sig prices for them anyway.

My suggestion is to get the best input you can about any product, make a decision based on that input and buy what you want..   You still might get a lemon, but that's just the way it happens sometimes.  Generally if you have done your homework and buy a proven product you will be good to go.

JMOFO

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
160 Posts
A dealer in my area told me that he sold ...what was it...like 3 or 5 Glocks for one of anything else that he sold. Selling a Glock is easy...just like life insurance. It is true, people buy more often when something is in stock...i remember walking out of many stores because whatever it was (gun or not) wasn't on the shelf.

Just like buying a car...don't show up and 'expect' the dealer to sell what is best for you. I prefer the small stores but the selection is often not what I would like. If you get to know the people and you give them business they'll eventually warm up to you and cut you some price breaks. Nobody likes a window licker.

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I went shopping for my P99 this past spring I was told by one of my locals that the S&W P99s were crap. That they wouldn't even sell me one because of the complaints they received. HOWEVER, the P99s built in Germany are great guns and they can get me one of those imported for only around $900.

When I'm fed a line like that I know it's no use trying to argue. He's either ignorant or liar. Or both.

Needless to say I left and bought my P99 at a store a few miles away for $575.

Very happy with my purchase. The P99 is a fantastic gun.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (zenner22 @ Dec. 06 2006,6:16)]When I went shopping for my P99 this past spring I was told by one of my locals that the S&W P99s were crap. That they wouldn't even sell me one because of the complaints they received. HOWEVER, the P99s built in Germany are great guns and they can get me one of those imported for only around $900.

When I'm fed a line like that I know it's no use trying to argue. He's either ignorant or liar. Or both.

Needless to say I left and bought my P99 at a store a few miles away for $575.

Very happy with my purchase. The P99 is a fantastic gun.
I like that, screw the customer on a special order. My local store has done very well by selling or ordering most guns about 10% over their cost. They realized along time ago they make their money on return customers buying ammo, holsters and magazines and other accossories. Hardly a day goes by that you can go in there and have trouble getting in the door because it is so crowded. That's the kind of place to buy a gun from. They also have made great trades, I bought a used Kahr CW9 for about 360 and traded it in for a new pm9 with only 230 difference. I figured I uses the cw9 a year for about 30 bucks. Unfortunately they do not stock many P99s, Walther is sticking to their quality rather than quantity philosiphy. I have nothing against glocks for reliability, but they are just slapped together in American factory and the quality just isnt there. It is a testimate to and outstanding design that can me massed produced and still be very reliable with good accuracy. If you want excellent, you have to go Walther of course

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had read about the P99 in a gun magazine and was really interested in it's safety features.   I went to a gun store, one of the more popular ones in the Cincinnati area.  I asked to see a P99 and the sales guy showed me the SW99 and said the P99 was no longer available.  He also said that SW had purchased Walther and modified the P99 and then called it the SW99.   He then started railing on the SW99 and stated "SW really f*&K'd up a good piece of German engineering".   He then proceeded to sale me a Glock which I already knew I didn't want.   I did more research on the P99 and learned the truth about the real relationship with SW and Walther and that the P99 was still available and is still a great piece of Gernman engineering.

I went to gun show in Dayton a few weeks later and found a dealer who had a P99 but told me they had a reputation of misfires and never really caught on as a result.   He then showed me a glock.   I bought the P99 anyway for $549.00, I thought that was a great deal.    

Lesson learned, "Do your own research".  

·
Patron
212 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Boskie @ Dec. 15 2006,4:41)]I had read about the P99 in a gun magazine and was really interested in it's safety features.   I went to a gun store, one of the more popular ones in the Cincinnati area.  I asked to see a P99 and the sales guy showed me the SW99 and said the P99 was no longer available.  He also said that SW had purchased Walther and modified the P99 and then called it the SW99.   He then started railing on the SW99 and stated "SW really f*&K'd up a good piece of German engineering".   He then proceeded to sale me a Glock which I already knew I didn't want.   I did more research on the P99 and learned the truth about the real relationship with SW and Walther and that the P99 was still available and is still a great piece of Gernman engineering.

I went to gun show in Dayton a few weeks later and found a dealer who had a P99 but told me they had a reputation of misfires and never really caught on as a result.   He then showed me a glock.   I bought the P99 anyway for $549.00, I thought that was a great deal.    

Lesson learned, "Do your own research".  
And.........have you had many misfires???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had two misfires due but I think that was due to the ammo I was using. Since I changed to Winchester WB .40 I have not had a problem.

Sorry for the delay in answering your post.

·
Patron
212 Posts
So then..........so much for their "reputation" of misfires.

Friggin gunstore employees are about 85% idiots and the other 15% dedicated and know what their talking about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I walked into a gunshop and asked to look at a P99. The guy behind the counter said that they do not sell European junk and that I should buy a Glock since they ARE MADE IN AMERICA!

I was like, "holy crap." Turned around and walked out. Same shop that told a buddy of mine that Springfield XD's are made in the US by Springfield.

I can't believe people like this work at gunshops.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I've never had these experiences at gun shops. Guess I've been lucky. They let me get what I want w/o the advice, unless I start commenting on the gun myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, my gun shop guys are very good. They are very helpful and are extremely knowledgable. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have a good gun shop like this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dealer talked me into P99!

I guess I'm the lucky one. The guy behind the counter was the one who brought the P99 to my attention. I thought I was going to get an H&K or Sig, but ended up with the P99. (After my own, personal research, of course.)

Five Walthers later, I'm still glad about it. Thanks Badger Guns, near Milwaukee!

Don

1 - 20 of 22 Posts