Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a PPK/S yesterday from my local dealer, and could not wait to get it home and try it out. I have only had one other semi auto so I am not the most informed person on the subject.
With my former auto I could place the clip in,with chamber in the closed position, and then just pull back and cock and the bullet would chamber quickly and efficently. With my new PPK/S it jams. I was shooting with a friend and after doing this about 3 times he recommended that I leave the chamber in the locked open position and then slap the clip in and very quickly just snap it back and "let it fly". I have not had a jamm-up doing it this way. Is this just because my gun is new and VERY stiff? Or is the customary procedure for the chambering of the first round on a PPK/S?
Also it was recommended that I leave the chamber locked open when not in use for a while to help to ease the spring tension. Does anyone have anything else to try to ease the spring tension?
Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The springs on the PP, PPK and PPK/S series are very strong because they are blowback operated. Since it feeds OK using the lockback it's pretty obvious you are not pulling the slide back far enough before you release it or you are letting it go forward a little before releasing. You need to let it go at "full draw" like a slingshot. If you cock the hammer first it is a little easier to pull the slide back. It does take a lot of finger strength on these little guns. It will get better as the gun breaks in. You may also want to polish your feed ramp if it's a little rough, this will help it to feed better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally I would not leave the slide open when it's in storage. Some springs tend to have a "set", meaning that they tend to take a more similar form to the position they are left in for a long time. I recently had to give my Colt Gold Cup a good old fashion tune up just by replacing the recoil and magazine springs. The recoil spring was the worst one in there. It was stored with the slide closed but after 12 years of being in the same position it had "set" pretty well even though it was only compressed far enough to be installed in the gun. It was a spring that came with the Richard Heine dual port compensator (now at 13lb., down from the factory original of 18lb.)

This just being my opinion but I don't like keeping the slide open and loading a fresh magazine. This gun doesn't have an external slide release and that is just one thing I don't have control over. It's great for when using the gun for CCW (what I do) because of the slimmer profile.

If you want to see a lack of control over a gun loading, try a Mauser HSc. With the slide open and when you run a fresh magazine into it the slide slams shut FOR you without having to pull the slide back yourself.....scary.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just shoot her ! The springs are strong and it appears you not pulling slide all the way back.Shot her some more,hold her ,talk to her, make her feel wanted,clean her Buy her presents,take her for walks. Do all this and she will love you and never jam and you won t even notice the strong spring DO NOT hide her in a safe or bottom of a drawer it will upset her and she will jam and maybe even bite .The whole family is known to be spoiled.Comes from hanging out with rich people,spys, movie stars English Royalty So treat her well and she will serve you well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts