Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who finds this feature to really not work at all? Its nothing I need but I notice if I chamber a snap cap or round in the full size of compact and leave the other empty the difference between the two is just barely discernable by feel. There may be a tiny sliver of red exposed but its just hardly anything.

Its not a feature I need or really care about, I just wonder if they're all the same way or I have round with really thin rims or something. Its definately nothing I'd depend on to indicate a loaded chamber.

·
Registered
232 Posts
On mine it's quite pronounced. The one on mine that sucks is the cocked indicator. You can see the difference but my finger's too big to feel it out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with you completely ! These indicators are dangerous-- in that they can give a person [under stress] a false sense of safety or even a sense that his gun is loaded when it is not.

It is also true the indicator Walther uses is "very" minimal with its visual cues and not much better with its tactile feel. But it does work.......IF ..........you are not under stress or scared, fingers are not covered with gloves, you remember where to feel.

I wish that handgun makers would skip this method of "trying to be helpful"..........and we all rely on the tried and true "treat every gun as if it is loaded" And as far as trying to determine if my gun has a bullet it, while hiding in darkness -- I certainly wouldn't rely on my being able to feel my way with the Walther extractor mechanism.

I pay it no attention whatsoever........... but that's me YMMV.

JF.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting mine are both 2004s, I wonder if that trend is similar for everyone.

Real ammo does show better than snap caps, but even then its not much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have two 2004's (full size and compact) and they both look exactly like the photo toeball posted. I agree that the tactile part is pretty useless. But the visual (red) is very easy to see in the light. To me, I'll always take one more way to help prevent a negligent discharge. It certainly doesn't hurt to have it as a feature, and I'm sure it's stopped one or two people who were sure they had cleared the round from doing something stupid. It's not foolproof, but I don't see any reason to discontinue it.

Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
loaded chamber and 'cocked' indicators should never take the place of basic firearm handling rules, but they are are convenient for quick checks of condition (i check 'condition' almost every time i holster my CCW) and add a marginal amount of safety if used as 'indicators' and not 'proof'.

on both P99's i've had, the loaded chamber indicators were easy to feel and see.

frye

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yes, I can feel mine - since my slide is hard chromed, though, I don't have any "red" showing - but U can see where the little notch of red was - If I knew how, and wanted to, I could take the slide apart and repaint that area. But I really am not comfortable in taking the entire thing apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you guys follow the Walther manual's recommendation to clean the striker assembly only every 1000 rounds or do you guys clean it routinely along with your regular after-range sessions?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I clean mine after every range trip. It's a quick/easy process so why not?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Toeball is correct.......the process is not that hard......a little more effort to take apart, than to put back together.

Cleaning the striker assembly everytime, is perhaps the best attitude to have about your psitol...........but it is not necessary IF you follow a reasonable oiling methods. Over oiling can cause grime to collect.

I clean my assembly every 1,000 rds [ about 3 months ] and have not yet found excessive dirt indicating I should have jumped on the project sooner. YMMV.

JF.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I've never taken mine apart that far, but it doesn't look that hard - How does the decocker button come out, though - I assume it comes out after you take the striker out? Then, to reassemble, U put it in first? Then the striker?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts