Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure there are some PP owners who might live in a State with similar procedures to what exist in my State.
In NYorkistan a handgun is listed on the owners CCW Lic. Every time a new handgun is bought or one owned is sold an amendment to the Lic. must be submitted. Information required includes make, model, caliber and serial number.
I may be purchasing a PP that is entirely French. Manurhin marked with French proof marks etc.
For those of you that may have similar laws as NYS or might even live in NYS, how is your Manurhin PP series pistol listed? Is it on your Lic. as a Walther PP or as a Manurhin PP. Or maybe a Manurhin under Lic. by Walther?
My guess is it should be listed as a Manurhin, model PP in 7.65 Browning Cal.

As an example, if I purchased a MR73 revolver it certainly would be listed as a Manurhin model 73. Seems as though the same would apply to a Manurhin PP.
Maybe I am over thinking this but somehow the question arises in my mind.
DD

·
Registered
104 Posts
Walther is the manufacturer. Manunrin is a city. Ulm is a city. But the manufacturer of the gun is still Walther, and the city in which it was made is but a detail. No matter where it was manufactured, including in the USA, it’s still a Walther.

Or so it seems to me.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
I fortunately do not live in a state that would pose such a vexing problem, but:

For all practical and legal purposes it’s a French-made Manurhin pistol. Not until the end assembly and finishing moved to Ulm did any part of it become Walther.

If you fill out the paperwork, list it as a Manurhin-Walther PP. All eventualities covered.

PS: Mike, Manurhin is the company name, Mulhouse is the city where it is located.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Walther is the manufacturer. Manunrin is a city. Ulm is a city. But the manufacturer of the gun is still Walther, and the city in which it was made is but a detail. No matter where it was manufactured, including in the USA, it’s still a Walther.

I realize that "Manurhin" is some form of portmanteau for
"Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin". I suspect that it is not a recognized word at all. However, they did use it with their Logo so I think to use "Manurhin" as the name of the manufacturer would be acceptable. Similar to what I mentioned in the opening post of the thread when considering that highly regarded .357 magnum revolver made in France. Was it not called a Manurhin MR73?
As already noted the City is Mulhouse.
Edit: And remember, I am talking about a pistol that was never touched on German soil during it's production, fitting, finishing and proofing. Albeit the forgings that it was manufactured from originated in Germany.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
.... I suspect that it is not a recognized word at all. However, they did use it with their Logo so I think to use "Manurhin" as the name of the manufacturer would be acceptable.....
Yes, now you are definitely overthinking it.

Manurhin is not a “recognized word”, it’s a name, I’m sure properly trademarked and all. And the company by that name manufactured the PP pistol you are talking about, all the way through proofing, finishing, and packaging. That’s why it says “Made in France” on the gun. Case closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
No idea on the correct name controversy, but listing all the info about handguns you own on your CCW sounds a lot like Registration to me.

Backdoor way of keeping track of what you have, in the event that they happen to decide it's illegal.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's really very simple. If it says "Manurhin" on it, it's a Manurhin. If it says "Walther" on it, it's a Walther. That's all that any bureaucrat will care about.

M

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:D
What do they put on there if all your guns fell out of the boat while crossing the Hudson..... 1917
That seems to be a rather common misfortune for gun owners in NYS.:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's really very simple. If it says "Manurhin" on it, it's a Manurhin. If it says "Walther" on it, it's a Walther. That's all that any bureaucrat will care about.

M
I agree. I say it is a Manurhin. However, the FFL who would do the transfer says it is a Walther and makes reference to the wording. "LI. EXCL WALTHER
MOD. PP Cal. 7.65mm
It's his number and Lic. that goes in the books so I am not going to argue with him should the transfer be needed. Serial number will be there and should I ever have occasion to sort it out there will probably be larger issues at hand.

·
Registered
499 Posts
....However, the FFL who would do the transfer says it is a Walther and makes reference to the wording. "LI. EXCL WALTHER
MOD. PP Cal. 7.65mm
It's his number and Lic. that goes in the books so I am not going to argue with him should the transfer be needed....
THAT is an entirely different issue.

In regulated states, both the bureaucrats which have to administer the laws, and the dealers who have to apply them, and whose business license (and that’s all an FFL is) gives them no special expertise, frequently don’t know enough to at least get things right.

·
Registered
592 Posts
ATF C&R list says:
-- Walther, Model PP and PPK pistols, mfd. in France by Manhurin during the 1950s.
-- Walther, Model PP and PPK semiautomatic pistols, in all cal.’s, mfd. in France and marked "MANHURIN".

·
Registered
499 Posts
Endless fun. So here is a snip from the original ATF pdf. of the 2018 C&R list.

My suspicion is confirmed, and DE Pistole quoted correctly.

ATF inadvertently declared only Manurhin pistols with misspelled company name to be C&R eligible. :D :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts