Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Those are nice pistols. Good luck with finding a mag. A few are around but pricey. Sure seems like someone would make some mags for these. They aren't complicated. MECGAR could whip some out in no time. 1917

Just for the fun of it I made several other makes of mags work in a .22 PP. Shown are S&W compact .22 mags modified to lock and feed in a PP. Takes three or four steps to modify them and the bottom is too long for the grip but they work and hold 10 or 12 rounds. Thread back there on it a year or so ago. The picky feeding issues you read about regarding these pistols is due to no stagger slot on the stock mags in my opinion.

Premium Member
Sure seems like someone would make some mags for these. They aren't complicated.
Triple K makes them. I've got one packed away somewhere but I don't think that I've ever used it.

Registered
No one has brought that up before. Will you post a photo of the one you have? I'd like to order some but I'd like to see one first. Thanks. 1917

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Triple K makes them. I've got one packed away somewhere but I don't think that I've ever used it.

I just ordered one from Triple K. In the past, I have made quite a few Triple K mags actually work good on various guns. Sometimes it just takes a little tweaking is all. After all, they are usually the only show in town. Also, I have found them very helpful when you call them. They also seem to stand behind their products.

I bought an unfired blue TPH a few years ago (Ranger made in about 1990 or so). This is another one that original mags are like gold. I bought 3 Triple K mags for that and they work flawlessly.

Just some thoughts.

Trooper Joe

Registered
Are 8 round mags the largest capacity they make for the PPK/S, PP? I didn't see any with 10 rounds of .22 available. 1917

Premium Member
Just found.
Is it your first PP series gun in .22lr? I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it. My vintage PP and PPK models work flawlessly with SV ammunition. I wasn't even aware of the existence of HV ammunition until I bought a P22.

Did you have sufficient time to inspect the gun in detail? From the picture, it looks a little bit like it has been reworked. But a single photo can be misleading of course. It's a nice found in any case.

Registered
I have a very nice PP and PPK/S in .22. Both are Ulm models from '69 and '71. Both have flat bottom mags and finger rest mags. Neither is modified in any way. They function fine with 10 rounds. My opinion after studying on this is that the reason people have problems with 10 rounds is that there are no rim stagger slots on the magazines. As the rounds stack they curve. This curve can cause the top rounds to go nose down and jam into the bottom of the feed ramp....this is the only issue I've ever had. I note that nearly all modern .22 mags have rim stagger slots. I put up a photo in the thread I did on modifying mags to fit the PP pistols showing how the rounds stack nose down vs how they return to a nose up position if the rims are allowed to stagger. MGMike send me some old mags and I modified one with stagger slots and sure enough...the rounds repositioned nose up like they should. I expect people hate to modify original Walther/Manurhin .22 mags though. Also, if the rounds can't stagger....the stack is taller and that can pose a bit of a problem in some mags when the feed rail shoves the stack down. Stagger slots cure this as well. Shorter stack.

Walther P22 mag on the left and some mag I added stagger slots to on the right. The mag on the right functions fine in a PP or PPK/S pistol. I added the catch hole and the stagger slot. I was mixing and matching various mag parts while experimenting on what other mags could be made to fit and function in PP pistols. This particular one offered a nice view of what was happening as the rounds stack. The first round more or less follows the slant of the follower which of course is designed to feed the rounds up and properly under the mag lips. The problem as I see it is that the rimmed rounds stack in a curve. This makes the stack taller and makes the rounds stack nose down. See middle round. Add stagger slots and take a careful look at what happens to the alignment of the top rounds....the stagger allows the rear of the rounds to slip off of one another, sit a bit side by side which allows the rounds to sit at the proper nose up attitude for proper feeding. The reason most modern .22 mags have stagger slots. A bonus is the stack whether 12, 10 or 8 rounds stacks a bit shorter if the rims can stagger. So, if someone were to make 10 round mags for PP pistols I'd advise they add stagger slots. The PPK is shorter and cannot hold 10 rounds.

BTW, if I count right the stagger slots added to the mag on the right allowed 11 rounds to be fit. 1917

Registered
Nice find! I have a PPK/S from 1970 in .22 with the original box. The mags are hard to find, but I鈥檝e had success in finding a few at some of the higher end shows such as the Colorado Gun Collector鈥檚 Association annual show. Hopefully we鈥檒l see those start back up sometime in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Nice find, Trooper Joe! You will have a fun time shooting it!
I've enjoyed shooting my Walther PP .22 since 1980 when I bought it used. It's a great little gun!
I found with mine over the years, it has its preferences as far as ammo tho. She doesn't like standard velocity at all. Remington Golden HP works great as do CCI. Other brands are hit or miss as far as extraction (not enough back thrust to fully eject).
It has been an excellent gun to bring along when new shooters are with you. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I still meed one. Yours would probably work better than the Triple K one I ordered.

Trooper Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts