Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hung a TLR 7 on my P 99 thinking it would give me a functional barrel weight dampening down muzzle flip and recoil. Well the TLR 7 weighs 1 ounce on my scale. It helps but not much. The TLR - 1 weighs about 4 ounces so it looks like it will do much better. Let you know when I try it out. I have both lights.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I assume you are trying to reduce muzzle flip. Adding weight under the barrel of the gun will never the best way to achieve that reduction in flip. You would have to have to add substantial weight to compensate for the force causing the rise. The best way to reduce muzzle flip is by a well developed grip and proper arm positioning.

By adding weight to the front of the barrel you change the balance of the gun as its front is pulled downward causing the shooter to have to adjust grip to compensate. I just think it is better to perfect grip at the outset and avoid adding weight. Ok that is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you are trying to reduce muzzle flip. Adding weight under the barrel of the gun will never the best way to achieve that reduction in flip. You would have to have to add substantial weight to compensate for the force causing the rise. The best way to reduce muzzle flip is by a well developed grip and proper arm positioning.

By adding weight to the front of the barrel you change the balance of the gun as its front is pulled downward causing the shooter to have to adjust grip to compensate. I just think it is better to perfect grip at the outset and avoid adding weight. Ok that is my 2 cents.

Thanks I already have an excellent grip.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I wouldn't count on a light to do that. I agree with 1942bull.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I added a rail accessory to my PPQ 45 and loaded 6oz of weights inside for a total of 8oz. There was no discernible effect on muzzle flip.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I've noticed a decrease in muzzle flip when using a TLR1. It's even more significant when a tungsten guide rod is added.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I shoot 9mm out of a PPS M2. I have no meaningful muzzle flip because I have my hands, my wrists, my arms, and my shoulders work together to keep the muzzle from taking over the path of the gun when fired. Grip starts at your fingers and goes back to your shoulders.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shoot 9mm out of a PPS M2. I have no meaningful muzzle flip because I have my hands, my wrists, my arms, and my shoulders work together to keep the muzzle from taking over the path of the gun when fired. Grip starts at your fingers and goes back to your shoulders.

Following the logic of all it takes is grip etc then there was no reason for Walther to come out with the all steel PPQ for competition. Now there is a thought. Sorry weight counts. But, I guess you could compete with the PPS M 2 against the all steel PpQ and win. Let me know how that works our for you.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Following the logic of all it takes is grip etc then there was no reason for Walther to come out with the all steel PPQ for competition. Now there is a thought. Sorry weight counts. But, I guess you could compete with the PPS M 2 against the all steel PpQ and win. Let me know how that works our for you.
I did not write that weight does not matter. I wrote that adding weight like a light to reduce muzzle was not a solution to 'flip.' I also wrote that my comments were being made because I assumed you were trying to decrease muzzle flip.

I would never write or say that weight of a handgun does not matter, because it does particularly when it comes to absorbing recoil. On of the things that contributed my choice of a PPS M2 over other single stack 9MM pistols wast tha the PPS M2 weighed more. I bought a Remington RM380 over other pocket guns because it had an aluminum frame as weighed nore than other options.

Finally, if I wrote anything that offended I apologize. I am quick to offer my opinion, but I never do it with an intention of being sarcastic or otherwise offensive.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It’s amazing how sensitive people get when someone has a difference of opinion than they do. It’s not that serious or serious at all. SMH

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I posted this video in a recent thread re muzzle control. This is one of the best explanations and video depictions of the physical elements required for muzzle flip management.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
@Chandler5566, thanks for posting the video. He said what I was alluding to I. My posts #2 and #7. And he proved it correct.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted this video in a recent thread re muzzle control. This is one of the best explanations and video depictions of the physical elements required for muzzle flip management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWc_kvaPZI

That is a real good video on technique. The problem is he is not shooting a Walther P 99 but looks like a 5'' ( maybe 4) barreled S&W M&P with a much lower bore axis, and much more weight, than the P 99. So all things are not equal. I rather doubt the technique will work as good with the P 99.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
The M&P 2.0 9mm weighs 2.6oz more than the P99 9mm. The bore axis is 1.41 and assuming the P99 bore axis equates to the PPQ that would measure 1.53. Here are two videos, one showing Hickok45 shooting the P99 and Miculek shooting the M&P 2.0. Note that neither uses added weight of any kind and yet can perform multiple shots in quick succession with accuracy.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
The M&P 2.0 9mm weighs 2.6oz more than the P99 9mm. The bore axis is 1.41 and assuming the P99 bore axis equates to the PPQ that would measure 1.53. Here are two videos, one showing Hickok45 shooting the P99 and Miculek shooting the M&P 2.0. Note that neither uses added weight of any kind and yet can perform multiple shots in quick succession with accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptRqLdQgUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CH4yvIDmU
As my pistol instructor said to me in my earliest years in the Corps:"Stop making excuses and just do it right." It was good advice the and it is good advice now.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptRqLdQgUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CH4yvIDmU

I own S&W M&P 1.0 and 2.0 I can pick them up and shoot them and tell you they are heavier and not as muzzle light as the P 99 with lower bore axis which makes them easier to control than my P 99.
I suppose it did not occur to you that Jerry Miculek, is a championship shooter, a paid professional shooter, a shooter who has put no telling how many hundred of thousands rounds down range ever year cause someone is paying for his ammo. You can put any pistol in his hand and he will make look easy to shoot.
Hickcock 45 has been competing since 1987 and maybe even before. He is a large man with huge hands which gives him a tremendous anatomical advantage over us average mortals. Same can be said of him as is of Jerry.
I just ordered a tungsten guide rod for extra weight - sorry but since I cannot match the two of you examples I will need a little extra mechanical help and will use it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As my pistol instructor said to me in my earliest years in the Corps:"Stop making excuses and just do it right." It was good advice the and it is good advice now.

Get a 9mm all steel 1911 and see how you fare with it. That is what Donny Miculek ( Jerry's brother) uses; and no one can touch him when he shoots a match with us. It is like shooting a 22. I know causes I use it occasionally also.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
B
Get a 9mm all steel 1911 and see how you fare with it. That is what Donny Miculek ( Jerry's brother) uses; and no one can touch him when he shoots a match with us. It is like shooting a 22. I know causes I use it occasionally also.
Inspire of the thread drift I stand by my initial comments. An under barrel light is not going to reduce muzzle flip. However, I do agree that an all steel gun will by virtue of weight not dip as much as poly frame. But let us not forget the Miculek video was about proper hand grip, wrist, arm, and shoulder positions to avoid flip not recoil. All pistols regardless of weight have recoil. Properly control
Ed pistols do not flip at the muzzle when fired.

Signing off from this thread so we do not keep going in circles. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B

Inspire of the thread drift I stand by my initial comments. An under barrel light is not going to reduce muzzle flip. However, I do agree that an all steel gun will by virtue of weight not dip as much as poly frame. But let us not forget the Miculek video was about proper hand grip, wrist, arm, and shoulder positions to avoid flip not recoil. All pistols regardless of weight have recoil. Properly control
Ed pistols do not flip at the muzzle when fired.

Signing off from this thread so we do not keep going in circles. Best wishes.

Gee that really explains why Walther came out with an all steel PPQ for competition. All that was needed was proper technique to control the pistol's recoil - no need for that all Steel PPQ?
Signing off and running for cover are we. Come on this is the most posting this P 99 forum has seen in a long time. I am trying to liven it up with controversy and fun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts