Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spring on my SWalther PPK/s is sooo heavy. Are lighter springs available? Are they a good idea? I know that limp wristing this gun will produce stove pipes. Will a lighter spring create the same effect? Thanks for your help.

-Chris

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would think that a lighter recoil spring would lessen the chance of a stovepipe. If limp-wristing causes a stovepipe, then that means that your wrist is absorbing too much of the recoil energy and not enough is being sent to the slide to operate the weapon properly. A lighter recoil spring would have less resistance, so more energy would be transferred to the slide and it would cycle easier. I don't know if this would cause any harm to the weapon, but I doubt it would cause more stovepipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, a lighter spring is available. A company called Trapper Gun makes a kit which includes a new recoil spring and 2 weights of hammer springs. Light and medium. It costs under $20.00. I haven't tried the kit, as I like the recoil and trigger pull on my PPK's, but I'd be interested in hearing how the kit works. If you try it, please post a report on quality and performance.

M. Neiden

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble finding a retailer who sells that set. I would be happy to try it once I found a vender. Thanks for your help.

-Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only problem I could see is if someone with a strong wrist were to shoot it a lot (i.e.- if you sell it). This would transfer a lot more recoil from the slide to the frame (exact contact point unknown) and begin beating on that point.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it has only stovepiped on me twice and both times, it was being held somewhat loosely. Those are the only two malfunctions I have ever had with the gun, so I really don't want to mess with perfection if it will screw anything up...

-Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just type "Trapper Gun PPK" into your search engine. I got several hits. I've seen the kit sold on GunsAmerica.com. Type in Walther PPK and search in the non-gun section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts