Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back with yet another question. But first off, thanks for the support so far on my other posts!

Is there a way to lighten or smooth out my trigger? I have an old gun (97), and the trigger is still grainy and heavy when I compared it to a more heavily used one made in 99. That one's trigger pull was quiet, light and smooth. Mine makes creaking noises in DA, and I can hear the spring. Both SA and DA seem loud, heavy and a tad grainy, but I am pretty sure they're not dirty. BTW these tests were dry fires.
Am I just nitpicking too much?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Use a stock glock striker spring in lieu of the Walther striker spring.

You might even consider using a reduced strength glock striker spring.

I am sure people are going to flame me for this suggestion... So I now put on my flame suit. Flame on...

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I have yet to see any flaming on this board......
The Glock spring has been done... also cutting coils of the striker spring
but instead of me going on a rant .... I will let you read it yourself....
read all the pages as there is some good info in this thread

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2131&highlight=reduced

on another note... it takes about 500-1000 pulls for the trigger to smooth out...
you can read about this also on the P99FAQ webpage....
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have used stock Glock spring, light Glock springs and Wolf springs...I found none of those reliable compared to a stock Walther spring that had the coils clipped. But when it is all said an done I would suggest that you shoot your pistol and the spring will smooth out...now I can hardly tell any difference between the spring that I cut and the one that I did not...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the responses so far. Any idea why my gun would be so different? Is there a broad range of trigger consistency with p99's or something?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

on another note... it takes about 500-1000 pulls for the trigger to smooth out...
Any safety issues with cutting spring coils?

Given how old my gun is, I assumed that it had already been fired much more than 1000 times. Could this possibly indicate that I got really lucky and stumbled across a really old gun that had barely been used?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been using my P99 with the cut coils for about 2yrs now...shoot it every week or so in competition and I haven't had any problems whatsoever...but I would suggest that you get a spare Walther striker spring to have on hand just in case.

·
Patron
212 Posts

Interesting (and long!) thread. Thanks for posting that. I'm going to have to do a little experimenting. :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I cut five coils on my QA. It made a huge difference in trigger smoothness, but I can't vouch for the SA trigger. I will say that after I did it I had a failure to fire after a few hundred rounds, then now over 2000 rds later not another failure to fire, so it must of been a bad primer. I think I had more gritiness with the original length striker spring, than after I cut it, now it is smooth. You could alway order a new spring from Walther, then you have a back up if you decide that cutting coils didn't work. I know others have posted legal concerns, but I doubt there are any actual court cases related to specifically cutting coils. If there are I would like to hear them.

·
Patron
212 Posts
Hedging my bets, I cut only four coils off my three P99's springs last night. I will function test soon but they seem to still strike with sufficient force and yet DO feel MUCH smoother and nicer. :D

:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to just sit and dry fire my gun to break in the trigger.
I called the gun shop, and the snap caps are 20 dollars for 16 of them. I only need one!
Just like the Walther FAQ page, the guy there said I would be fine dry firing it without a snap cap. BUT, dry firing 1000 times???
I need a second opinion on this one!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Where in the world are you that can buy 16 at a time for $20.00? Around here it cost between $15-20.00 for five...buy them, keep 5 and sell the rest here online for a buck a piece and you will have paid for them...unless you are in the UK then you will have to find someone over that side of the pond....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bad, I just double checked the price on those. They are $17 for six of them. I was rounding the 17 to 20, and thought the guy had previously said six-teen!

But I still only want just ONE :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm sure I have an extra somewhere. Send me your address via PM and I'll send you one. Rapid City...if I remember correctly they used to have a pretty good steakhouse downtown by the park called "Remington's." But I think they turned it into a Mexican place...but that was a few years back...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know others have posted legal concerns, but I doubt there are any actual court cases related to specifically cutting coils. If there are I would like to hear them.
Talking about legal concerns is a good thing. I wanted to change the tire size on a car and the store would not do it because of "legal concerns". I can only imagine what a lawyer would do with a modified gun and a clueless jury.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I agree....
I for one have always enjoyed reading Sniper350's concerns and points of legal issues.....we are all adults and can make our own decissions on what we want to do with all the info provided....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So can I safely loosen my trigger by dry firing my gun 1000 times?
Yes. You can use snap caps, empty brass or nothing at all...it will not hurt the P99.

I use to travel through SD every year for about 10 yrs straight...I haven't been out there for the past 7 yrs and am thinking of making another run...Deadwood, Rapid City, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Jackson, Tetons and over into Salt Lake City...last week of June. YEEEHAH!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts